News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

F1 2023 Season

Started by stevo qld, July 28, 2022, 09:17:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan59

The first thing any IndyCar driver who wants an F1 career and has a team interested is get that team to put him in F2 for a season so there is a valid comparison with other driver options.If they have the right stuff they will run near the front.

stevo qld

I cannot see that a successful Indycar driver, earning good money if he is good enough for F1, would want to compete in the lesser F2 series that costs big bucks to buy a ride.

[ there was a quote here about an F1 car on public roads. I have moved it to General. It now appers to not be an F1. :-[ ]
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

Alan59

There was a long trail of successful IndyCar drivers starting at Michael Andretti and going through Da Matta,Zanardi and Bourdais that couldn't really cut it in F1.That's probably the prime reason F1 teams stopped looking at IndyCar as a source of potential drivers.The cars now are further away from F1 cars.
I expect most successful IndyCar drivers are quite content to stay there rather than jump into the shark pool of F1 but if they have a burning desire to try and get into F1 I doubt IndyCar is going to persuade a team principal to take the plunge.
Edit-As I've said before Villeneuve and Montoya were the exceptions.Won't bother to repeat why here.

V8SuperRiley

https://www.speedcafe.com/2022/08/25/breaking-ricciardo-confirms-mclaren-exit/

One of the worst kept secrets in recent time..

I still believe we will 100% see Daniel on the grid next year, I just don't know who with..

Alpine would be great, both would want to stick it to McLaren.

mikeamerica84

Quote from: V8SuperRiley on August 25, 2022, 08:11:19 AM

I still believe we will 100% see Daniel on the grid next year, I just don't know who with..

Hopefully Dan will just slide over to Alpine and take Alonso's spot. 

I would take a short term gig  w/ Alpine than a short term gig w/ McLaren right about now.

Dan is trading up IMO.  Hopefully with a boatload of money.
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

skaifeman

Quote from: mikeamerica84 on August 25, 2022, 02:55:25 PM

I would take a short term gig  w/ Alpine than a short term gig w/ McLaren right about now.

Tend to agree. Alpine would be a fantastic move.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

madbugger

Quote from: mikeamerica84 on August 25, 2022, 02:55:25 PM

Yep, probably his best option.

Unfortunately any salary from next year will most probably reduce his McLaren payout.

If it was me I would be negotiating a 2 year deal, $1 for 1st year, balance of contract 2nd year. Screw McLaren, they should be made to pay.
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.

stevo qld

I have read about 20+ stories about the split. Settlement amounts up t0 $29M Aus have been bandied. the one I suspect is closer to the mark (and I cannot now find the reference) was that Daniel took a 50% hit to around $14.5M Aus as a complete and final separation, with no payback to McLaren if he gets another drive.

I am mindful that Hamilton must be close to retirement and Wolff has indicated that Daniel is on the Mercedes Radar.

With that in mind, he might consider a well paid drive at Williams Mercedes which has newish owners that will finally be getting rid if the shackles of previous design decisions and have money to spend. Venture Capitalists tend to want to float a proven company and make a lot of money.  A proven race winner would be an attractive proposition to a Team determined to rise from the back half of the field, perhaps with a release clause if Mercedes want him later.

Haas Ferrari has had a year with their new design office of former Ferrari staff, but still housed within the Ferrari complex in Italy. Schumacher has not shone but may still be in favour with Ferrari who loaned him to Haas and would be a candidate for a seat at Alfa Romeo. One again, a team with the resources and desire to move up the field would make Daniel attractive, but they may have to find a $10M extra over what they currently pay. Also there are unlikely to be any Ferrari vacancies to move into later. Also with the current Alfa Romeo team due to move to Audi engines, Ferrari may be pushing their assistance to Haas.

i still would not be surprised to find an Andretti Global partnership or buyout with Haas.

Alpine would be the best ride currently available, but Renault has proven to be very hit and miss with it's efforts over the years. Ownership and Euro mergers could be a hazard.

I feel that a Williams seat would be the best bet now, but what would I know. ;D

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

Alan59

If Hamilton retires at the end of 2023 every driver on the grid either out of contract or driving for a Mercedes PU team will want that drive.
Doubt a 34 year old will be seriously considered.Norris v Piastri might be a shootout for that drive.

stevo qld

Quote from: Alan59 on August 26, 2022, 09:21:33 PM
If Hamilton retires at the end of 2023 every driver on the grid either out of contract or driving for a Mercedes PU team will want that drive.
Doubt a 34 year old will be seriously considered.Norris v Piastri might be a shootout for that drive.

Quote"We always had an eye on Daniel ... we really like him in here," Wolff said. "It's just the mentality in Mercedes - I sometimes feel if you're happy in your relationship it is not always easy (to change).

"It is like being married, you need to be 100 per cent behind it. It was not a lack of interest, it was just that we were in a happy relationship and there was no need to flirt with another woman at that stage."

Hamilton signed a two-year deal with the Silver Arrows last year with many predicting it will be his last contract in F1. He's previously indicated that he won't replicate the likes of Kimi Raikkonen and Alonso in driving in F1 into his 40s.

And that would leave Mercedes needing to find an experienced driver to take Hamilton's seat. Ricciardo may not have hit the heights expected of him at McLaren, but he's still regarded as one of the most talented drivers on the grid.

So much so that Mercedes were seriously considering him as a replacement for Valtteri Bottas back in the off-season in 2018. Ricciardo had made it clear that summer that he wanted to leave Red Bull for a new challenge and eventually signed a deal with Renault.

And it might not be unthinkable that the Aussie is an option to replace Ricciardo should Hamilton retire in two years' time.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-autosport/1651510/Toto-Wolff-Daniel-Ricciardo-Mercedes-McLaren-F1-news-Alpine-Lewis-Hamilton
ALBERT EINSTEIN

Alan59

Gasly to Alpine,Giovinazzi to Haas,Lawson to Alpha Tauri,DeVries to Williams seems to be the most likely.
So from this years grid Vettel,Ricciardo,Schumacher and Latifi out for 2023.

mikeamerica84

Quote from: Alan59 on August 31, 2022, 07:28:51 AM
Gasly to Alpine,Giovinazzi to Haas,Lawson to Alpha Tauri,DeVries to Williams seems to be the most likely.
So from this years grid Vettel,Ricciardo,Schumacher and Latifi out for 2023.
Is this solely your opinion or do you have a source, Alan?

I have to admit, either way, I can see it forming.  The TV coverage from Spa noted Alpine trying to poach Gasly.  That would give the marque two Frenchmen.  That tells me they have little faith in keeping Piastri, yet alone getting him to drive for them.

If that is the case, Dan is out.  I can kind of see Alpha Tauri calling up a top F2 driver but there are drumbeats over here that Colton Herta is still within a shout and Red Bull likes him.

https://racer.com/2022/08/31/medland-how-silly-can-the-silly-season-get/

Latifi and Mick... I can see that forming.  Unfortunately for the latter.  I'd think twice about Giovanazzi filling that seat though, but they are Ferrari backed and Gio is a fellow countryman.  But in a square up fight, politics aside, I'd take young Mick in that deal. 

Williams has their pick of the littler for anyone trying to break into F1.  That team is starting to trend upwards, too.  It is playing out well for Alex Albon.

We'll see how this plays out.  Thanks for putting a lot of cards on the table!   ;D
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

Alan59

Just that they seem to be the names most widely mentioned.Personally I think Lawson is the least likely and  none of them seem locks.
Also in case anyone was waiting for it the CRB does not announce the results of its deliberations.First we will hear is when there is an announcement from McLaren or Alpine.

madbugger

Quote from: Alan59 on September 01, 2022, 07:11:34 AM
Also in case anyone was waiting for it the CRB does not announce the results of its deliberations.First we will hear is when there is an announcement from McLaren or Alpine.

I'm guessing that announcement will come from the "winner". ;D
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.