News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

F1 2023 Season

Started by stevo qld, July 28, 2022, 09:17:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevo qld

Race after race, Hamilton is critical of Mercedes. he doesn't like losing and it is never his fault, or so it seems.

I think Hamilton may retire and Mercedes will be happy to release him from his contract.

Wolff has spoken of his interest in Ricciardo.

Could the 2023 Mercedes Team be Russel and Ricciardo?

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/motorsports/lewis-hamilton-blanks-george-russell-as-anger-boils-over-after-dramatic-dutch-grand-prix/ar-AA11sohi?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=07fa3410639344dbab6895c17793b145

Quote"That was the biggest **** up," fumed Hamilton in the race's dying stages.

"I can't believe you guys f****** me like that. I can't tell you how p****d I am."

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/motorsport/formula-one-news-lewis-hamilton-happier-after-dutch-grand-prix-practice-improvement/news-story/b64c208f3f2a5900e0a7c749c15d96cd

I also read, this morning, but cannot now find the article on the news feed: (All allegations, of course)

Red Bull Owner (?) Dietrich Mateschitz is not happy with progress on the Porsche buy-in of RedBull F1. He wants the deal to proceed as per the existing agreement ha has made.

However, there is push back from Christian Horner who alleged is worried that Porsche will want to replace him with a much valued ex-Porsche Team Boss, who happens to currently be with McLaren. Adrian Newey and Helmut Marko are also reported to be delaying the deal.

Just imagine the upheaval in a lot of teams with Team Principal change opportunities and top designer Newey on the market.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

mikeamerica84

Stanby, you blokes!  We just might have a Yank moving in!

https://racer.com/2022/09/04/herta-alphatauri-deal-agreed-if-license-exemption-approved-says-marko/

Herta AlphaTauri Deal Agreed if License Exemption Approved, says Marko

By Chris Medland | September 4, 2022 1:04 PM ET

An agreement has been reached in principle for Colton Herta to join AlphaTauri next season and Pierre Gasly to move to Alpine — if the FIA approves a Super License for the American IndyCar racer.

Herta has been linked with a Formula 1 seat but doesn't currently hold a Super License, and requires an exemption from the FIA as he only has 32 of the 40 points needed to secure one. While a number of team bosses have stated their beliefs an exemption shouldn't be granted, Red Bull advisor Helmut Marko says a deal is in place should the governing body approve Herta's application.

"Astonishingly enough, all of the parties and teams involved, we found an agreement," Marko told SpeedCity Broadcasting on SiriusXM.

"First we have to get a definite answer (from the FIA) and I think it should be by Monza ... Monza I would say."

Asked if that would trigger Gasly's move to Alpine or if those negotiations were separate, Marko added: "No, if the deal works then it happens in Monza, also for Pierre of course."

While all of the agreements are provisional and Alpine is believed to still be considering other options at this stage, Marko is hopeful that the FIA will grant an exemption, having spoken about Herta's potential prior to discussing a potential move.

"We looked at the regulations, we discussed it with the FIA, and because of COVID there's a special regulation that you can take three years (from four) and also if one result isn't maximum points and outside the driver's (hands) they can give they can give the points.

"So it's nothing unreasonable. He won seven IndyCar races and that's comparable to a grand prix I think, so it would be a shame if he wouldn't get a Super License."

RACER understands the other parties involved include Andretti Autosport and McLaren, with the former having a release clause for Herta from his IndyCar contract if he receives an F1 approach. McLaren had an F1 option on the 22-year-old after signing him to a testing program this year, but is understood to have waived its claim to him over the next two seasons in order for him to chase a race seat.

Marko previously released Pato O'Ward from a Red Bull contract early in order to allow him to race in IndyCar for McLaren, with the agreement to do the same with Herta a reciprocation.

While the move still remains provisional until an FIA decision and Alpine would not confirm its position, it is understood Daniel Ricciardo is not one of the drivers the French constructor is considering as an alternative option to Gasly.

You know, with the political arena of F1, and the recent deluge of races here in the States, it may not be right, it may not be fair, but marketing holds a hand that just might be too hard to beat.
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

V8SuperRiley

He won't get a Super License without the points. They've been pretty strict on that from what I know of, and they don't want to stray away from it, otherwise it's pointless.. 

stevo qld

I have a problem with IndyCar being rated below Formula 2, when Super license points are allocated.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

madbugger

Quote from: stevo qld on September 07, 2022, 08:46:51 AM
I have a problem with IndyCar being rated below Formula 2, when Super license points are allocated.

Absolutely, F1 and it's hierarchy are full of themselves. As a spectacle goes, Indycar wins hands down.
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.

Alan59

So if the FIA budge then it's Gasly to Alpine and Herta to Alpha Tauri.If not then Gasly stays where he is and it appears possibly Mick Schumacher to Alpine.
While I agree that IndyCar should have a slight increase in Super Licence points with the exception of Villeneuve and Montoya every driver that has moved from IndyCar to F1 in the past 30 years has been somewhere between mediocre and terrible.

mikeamerica84

It is interesting to see what it takes to achieve a super license.  A minimum of 40 points w/i the past three years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIA_Super_Licence

Supercars are not in the que for one can obtain points.  WTCR and DTM are, though.

mikeamerica84

Here is an interesting stat question that popped up on the Q&A on racer.com.  It was answered by Chris Medland, one of the site's main writers/journalists:

------------

Q: With all the talk about Colton Herta possibly being given an exemption for a Super License, I was wondering who on the IndyCar grid currently has enough FIA points?

I find it laughable that drivers in such a competitive series, and with the greatest race in the world, are not given more credit.

Many times you hear pundits say F1 has the "best drivers in the world." I challenge that and say the top 10 in IndyCar's current standings would do just fine.

Terry J., Germantown, MD

CM: So I make it Alex Palou, Scott Dixon and Josef Newgarden as the last three champions, and that's it in terms of points alone achieved over the past four IndyCar seasons (picking the best three results).

It should also be noted that Romain Grosjean, Marcus Ericsson, Alexander Rossi and Takuma Sato are eligible as a result of previously having a Super License to race in F1, but only Grosjean raced recently enough to automatically get one. The other three would have to complete 300km during a day of testing first.

Simon Pagenaud could also claim 39 points and then just do one FP1 session to hit 40, while Will Power would hit 40 points if he finishes in the top two this year.

https://racer.com/2022/09/07/the-racer-mailbag-september-7/6/

------------

Note that Medlnad references the "the past four IndyCar seasons (picking the best three results)".  This is a revision to the Super License requirements based on 2020 and the COVID issues brought upon motorsports schedules.

V8SuperRiley

I fully agree that Indycar should hold a higher points paying position, but I still can't see them allowing Herta to get a Super License.

stevo qld

Alpine may be applying pressure on the FIA, but only if they really want Gasly.

But, Is Herta available in any case? maybe he is already under contract. Could Horner be playing mind games?

QuoteRed Bull team principal Christian Horner has made it clear that Gasly will only be released from AlphaTauri if the energy drinks company can get hold of Herta.

But sources in the United States suggest that, with Herta under a contract to race for Andretti next year, there are no doubts he will see out his deal there.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/other/herta-surprised-red-bull-f1-wants-him-for-alphatauri/ar-AA11yvtM?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=fc1100e506454a15ba25d6ac86849e28
ALBERT EINSTEIN

mikeamerica84

You need a score card and road map to keep track of this stuff for Monza:

------------

https://racer.com/2022/09/09/verstappen-perez-and-sainz-take-grid-penalties-at-monza/

Verstappen, Perez and Sainz Take Grid Penalties at Monza
By Chris Medland | September 9, 2022 8:54 AM ET

Max Verstappen, Sergio Perez and Carlos Sainz are among those taking grid penalties at the Italian Grand Prix as the number of drivers starting low down grows again.

After a number of grid penalties were confirmed by teams on Thursday, Red Bull added its name to the list when FP1 got underway at Monza, with Verstappen taking a five-place grid penalty for a further new internal combustion engine (ICE) and Perez 10 places for the same part as it is the first time he has exceeded his allocation. Verstappen had already exceeded the limit in Belgium and each subsequent breach carries a smaller penalty.

Alongside the Red Bull pair is Carlos Sainz, who is taking a new energy store (ES) and MGU-K, leading to a 15-place grid penalty, while gearbox components will lead to a further 10 places being added to his qualifying position. Valtteri Bottas also has a 15-place power unit penalty.

The large drop still leaves Sainz set to start ahead of Lewis Hamilton and Yuki Tsunoda, though, as both have penalties that dictate they start from the back of the grid due to the number of components used.

Haas is expected to take a gearbox penalty with Mick Schumacher later in the weekend, while teams regularly stagger the introduction of their new components and could still add more ahead of FP2 and FP3.

stp01

Mike, that post might fit better here - https://www.v8central.com/index.php?board=12.0

At least the engine penalties put Danny on Row 2!  :)
Triple Eight and Holden
2022 Supercars Drivers Champion
2022 Supercars Teams Champion
2022 Supercars Manufacturers Champion
2022 Super2 Drivers Champion

mikeamerica84

Quote from: stp01 on September 11, 2022, 11:14:28 AM
Mike, that post might fit better here - https://www.v8central.com/index.php?board=12.0

At least the engine penalties put Danny on Row 2!  :)
You are right.  I got off the rails and onto the wrong thread.  Apologies.

mikeamerica84

24-Race 2023 F1 Calendar Confirmed, Including U.S. Dates
By Chris Medland | September 20, 2022 12:52 PM ET

The 2023 Formula 1 calendar will feature a record 24 races, starting on March 5 in Bahrain and ending with Abu Dhabi on November 26.

A meeting of the FIA World Motor Sport Council approved the 2023 calendar by e-vote on Tuesday, confirming the largest schedule in the sport's history as races in China and Qatar return and Vegas will make its debut, with only the French Grand Prix disappearing from this year's schedule.

The United States is the country with the most races as it will host three – Miami is scheduled for May 7, Austin on October 22 and the new addition of Las Vegas on the Saturday night of November 18 – while Italy has two in Imola and Monza.

There are two triple-headers of Imola-Monaco-Barcelona and USA-Mexico-Brazil on the schedule at this stage, although it remains to be seen if China goes ahead on April 16 or if the early races could be reorganized.

Formula 1 CEO Stefano Domenicali says the calendar reflects the interest in the sport from new host locations but also a desire to retain more traditional venues on the schedule.

"We are excited to announce the 2023 calendar with 24 races around the world," Domenicali said. "Formula 1 has unprecedented demand to host races and it is important we get the balance right for the entire sport. We are very pleased with the strong momentum Formula 1 continues to experience and it is great news that we will be able to bring our passionate fans a mix of exciting new locations such as Las Vegas to the championship with much-loved venues across Europe, Asia and the Americas."
FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem said that the schedule reflects F1's growing global appeal, and noted that efforts had been made to accommodate other major motorsport events.

"I am delighted that we will be able to take Formula 1's new era of exciting racing, created by the FIA's 2022 Regulations, to a broader fan base in 2023," he said. "In framing the 2023 F1 calendar, WMSC Members have also been mindful of the timing of the prestigious 24 Hours of Le Mans."

Le Mans is scheduled to take place one week after the Spanish Grand Prix on the weekend of June 10/11.

Full 2023 F1 calendar:

March 5 – Bahrain Grand Prix – Bahrain International Circuit
March 19 – Saudi Arabia Grand Prix – Jeddah Corniche Circuit
April 2 – Australian Grand Prix – Albert Park Circuit
April 16 – Chinese Grand Prix – Shanghai International Circuit
April 30 – Azerbaijan Grand Prix – Baku City Circuit
May 7 – Miami Grand Prix – Miami International Circuit
May 21 – Emilia Romagna Grand Prix – Imola
May 28 – Monaco Grand Prix – Monte Carlo
June 6 – Spanish Grand Prix – Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya
June 18 – Canadian Grand Prix – Circuit Gilles Villeneuve
July 2 – Austrian Grand Prix – Red Bull Ring
July 9 – British Grand Prix – Silverstone
July 23 – Hungarian Grand Prix – Budapest
July 30 – Belgian Grand Prix – Spa Francorchamps
August 27 – Dutch Grand Prix – Zandvoort
September 3 – Italian Grand Prix – Monza
September 17 – Singapore Grand Prix – Marina Bay Street Circuit
September 24 – Japanese Grand Prix – Suzuka
October 8 – Qatar Grand Prix – Losail International Circuit
October 22 – United States Grand Prix – Circuit of the Americas
October 29 – Mexico City Grand Prix – Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez
November 5 – Sao Paulo Grand Prix – Interlagos
November 18 – Las Vegas Grand Prix – Las Vegas
November 26 – Abu Dhabi Grand Prix – Yas Marina Circuit

https://racer.com/2022/09/20/24-race-2023-f1-calendar-confirmed-including-u-s-dates/

stp01

Packed calendar, but at least it looks like tours in regions, rather than back and forth (except Miami and Canada).
Do they get more Power Units??
Triple Eight and Holden
2022 Supercars Drivers Champion
2022 Supercars Teams Champion
2022 Supercars Manufacturers Champion
2022 Super2 Drivers Champion