News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

2023 TCR Australia Season

Started by mikeamerica84, November 29, 2022, 06:04:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeamerica84

Quote from: TheArrow on February 25, 2023, 01:34:20 PM
Only 13 cars? I'll be honest I didn't keep up with the news in the off season but no Luke King, James Moffat, Jay Hansen, Michael Caruso, Dylan O'Keeffe, Nathan Morcom... All big names in TCR who have not come back. I wonder why...
Low car count, for sure.  Lack of spare parts, too.  BUT the season is off and running.  I am sure it will build and get better.
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

Sonic

Quote from: mikeamerica84 on February 27, 2023, 12:56:21 PM
Quote from: TheArrow on February 25, 2023, 01:34:20 PM
Only 13 cars? I'll be honest I didn't keep up with the news in the off season but no Luke King, James Moffat, Jay Hansen, Michael Caruso, Dylan O'Keeffe, Nathan Morcom... All big names in TCR who have not come back. I wonder why...
Low car count, for sure.  Lack of spare parts, too.  BUT the season is off and running.  I am sure it will build and get better.

I saw a little of it and the numbers are seriously disappointing... even allowing for those who fell aside over the course of the weekend.
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

stevo qld

People still complain about 25 cars in that other series.  ;D

The numbers in S5000 were also disappointing, as was TCM.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

TheArrow

None of the racing broadcast over the weekend had more than 20 cars.

Most had few more than 10.

Is this just another case of the current financial climate?

Sonic

Quote from: TheArrow on February 27, 2023, 08:50:15 PM

not even the Excels? I didn't catch any of their races but surprised if they had less than 20?

mikeamerica84

What happened in the hairpin that caused the TCRs to run through the oil dry throughout Race 2 and make it a timed race?  Must have been one hell of an engine detonation.  They said it happened in the Trans-Am race?

TheArrow

Quote from: Sonic on February 27, 2023, 09:06:37 PM

not even the Excels? I didn't catch any of their races but surprised if they had less than 20?
As I said, none of the racing *broadcast* over the weekend had more than 20.

Excels weren't broadcast.

Sonic

Quote from: TheArrow on February 28, 2023, 08:52:20 AM
Quote from: Sonic on February 27, 2023, 09:06:37 PM

As I said, none of the racing *broadcast* over the weekend had more than 20.

Excels weren't broadcast.

ah thank you. didn't know what had/hadn't been shown.

Alan59

The 7 car grid for the TCM race on tv Saturday was worse than pathetic.
Failure to address cost control issues over the past years has lead them into this swamp.Personally doubt it is salvageable.
As for TCR the numbers better be up when they next race in 3 months time or the long term future of that is not looking good.Also the World Tour only has 4 entries so suspecting that will be still born.

Roadways6

The ridiculous calendar that had TCR going to Tassie in February and then waiting until May for the next round is the cause of the low numbers, as a number of competitors just thought they'd wait for round 2 on the mainland.

The coverage said a Lynk & Co team is coming, and its been alluded that Clemente will change to a Cupra. Not sure on King and Nathan Morcom.

ARG shot themselves in the foot with this meeting. Why schedule TCM at Symmons last week and then Newcastle next week?

Quote from: Alan59 on February 28, 2023, 03:21:13 PM
Also the World Tour only has 4 entries so suspecting that will be still born.

At the moment there's four Audi's, four Lynk & CO's and two works Hyundai's announced, with JAS Honda still to confirm their program but outwardly their social media is reporting on TCR World Tour news so you'd assume they are in.

mikeamerica84

https://tcraustralia.com/2023/03/03/australian-drivers-make-big-moves-in-kumho-tcr-world-rankings/

This is an *ahem* interesting formula they have here.  Tony D'Alberto had two podiums out of three races and lost an overall spot (22nd to 23rd).  Will Brown scored the pole and albeit had mechanical issues, only started Race 2 and had a DNF.  And he stayed even - lost/gained no spots (25th).

Apparently qually ranks high.   ::)

mikeamerica84

Is this for real?  It was put on the site on April 1st.  Racing THIS car?

https://tcraustralia.com/2023/04/01/new-brand-confirmed-for-tcr-australia-and-michael-clemente/

1 April 2023
NEW BRAND CONFIRMED FOR TCR AUSTRALIA AND MICHAEL CLEMENTE

Privateer Michael Clemente will be part of a world-first debut of a brand-new TCR Series model.

After racing a Honda and an Audi most recently in the Supercheap Auto TCR Australia Series, Clemente will enter a newly developed Fiat 500 Abarth for the rest of the season, starting at Phillip Island in May.

Clemente's roots with the Fiat brand run deep as his first road car was a 500 and he currently drives an Abarth version daily.

The idea came following a few beers and laughs as Clemente's team has constructed the first of what will be 10 500s as per the global TCR homologation requirements.

"My first car was a Fiat 500 and I've been driving one for quite a few years now," Clemente said.

"I've always thought it had a magnificent chassis and when we started the search for a new car, I said to the team 'I've got this little Fiat 500 that I have as a daily, it handles bloody brilliantly, why don't we race one of these?'

"After many laughs and a few beers it's happening, so I can't wait for it. It should be something awesome."

Technically, the 500 Abarth TCR will be similar to the already proven Alfa Romeo Giulietta Veloce TCR package, which has won multiple races in Supercheap Auto TCR Australia competition the last being at Sandown in the hands of Michael Caruso last year.

'Bambino' as it was originally nicknamed when the first version was launched in 1957 became a popular nameplate across the world. A modern interpretation was revealed by Fiat in 2007 and has replicated the original's sales success.

Fiat is already represented in TCR Italy by the Tecnodom Sport built Tipo, with the Clemente produced 500 joining an illustrious number of models to be homologated for the formula.

This will be the second TCR model to be developed in Australia following Garry Rogers Motorsport being announced as the constructor of the new Peugeot 308 TCR.

Clemente enters this new venture courtesy of major support from Carl Cox Motorsport and Ryco.

The next round of the Supercheap Auto TCR Australia Series will be as part of the Shannons SpeedSeries at Phillip Island on May 12-14.

Sonic

Quote from: mikeamerica84 on April 09, 2023, 11:11:50 PM
Is this for real?  It was put on the site on April 1st.  Racing THIS car?

https://tcraustralia.com/2023/04/01/new-brand-confirmed-for-tcr-australia-and-michael-clemente/

1 April 2023
NEW BRAND CONFIRMED FOR TCR AUSTRALIA AND MICHAEL CLEMENTE

Privateer Michael Clemente will be part of a world-first debut of a brand-new TCR Series model.

After racing a Honda and an Audi most recently in the Supercheap Auto TCR Australia Series, Clemente will enter a newly developed Fiat 500 Abarth for the rest of the season, starting at Phillip Island in May.

Clemente's roots with the Fiat brand run deep as his first road car was a 500 and he currently drives an Abarth version daily.

The idea came following a few beers and laughs as Clemente's team has constructed the first of what will be 10 500s as per the global TCR homologation requirements.

"My first car was a Fiat 500 and I've been driving one for quite a few years now," Clemente said.

"I've always thought it had a magnificent chassis and when we started the search for a new car, I said to the team 'I've got this little Fiat 500 that I have as a daily, it handles bloody brilliantly, why don't we race one of these?'

"After many laughs and a few beers it's happening, so I can't wait for it. It should be something awesome."

Technically, the 500 Abarth TCR will be similar to the already proven Alfa Romeo Giulietta Veloce TCR package, which has won multiple races in Supercheap Auto TCR Australia competition the last being at Sandown in the hands of Michael Caruso last year.

'Bambino' as it was originally nicknamed when the first version was launched in 1957 became a popular nameplate across the world. A modern interpretation was revealed by Fiat in 2007 and has replicated the original's sales success.

Fiat is already represented in TCR Italy by the Tecnodom Sport built Tipo, with the Clemente produced 500 joining an illustrious number of models to be homologated for the formula.

This will be the second TCR model to be developed in Australia following Garry Rogers Motorsport being announced as the constructor of the new Peugeot 308 TCR.

Clemente enters this new venture courtesy of major support from Carl Cox Motorsport and Ryco.

The next round of the Supercheap Auto TCR Australia Series will be as part of the Shannons SpeedSeries at Phillip Island on May 12-14.

LOL! It was an April Fools gag.

mikeamerica84

Quote from: falcon_cobra on January 19, 2023, 08:05:30 PM
which is going to be the second TCR world tour race?
If you are referring to the second Australian round, Sydney Motorsports Park, first weekend in November.  Bathurst to follow later in the month.

https://tcr-worldranking.com/tcr-world-tour

mikeamerica84

I watched the show at PI.  I thought I might have seen you at one time, Sonic, outside of the Turn 2 left hand sweeper snapping photos.

The Lynk & Co car has finally arrived for Tom Oliphant- at the expense of the Alfa Romeo.  And the Cupra Leon is now in the hands of Michael Clemente.