News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

F1 2022 season

Started by stevo qld, September 03, 2021, 08:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbugger

Quote from: Sonic on August 27, 2022, 07:56:55 PM
Quote from: Kytabu on August 27, 2022, 05:29:45 AM
Should be a fun race this weekend with both Verstappen and Leclerc starting from the back of the grid.

interesting... I saw a headline about penalties but didn't note who...

while it makes for a race to watch for the fans it really is a joke of a system when you intentionally decide to put the fastest 2 cars to the rear of grid

Ahh for the good ol days, 4 engines per GP, hand grenade engine for qually, good for about 5 laps before it needed a rebuild, spare car ready to go for No. 1 driver in case of a start line incident.

They were the good ol days.
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.

stp01

I read an article ages ago where Toyota claimed their engine costs doubled when they had to run one engine for the whole weekend.
Triple Eight and Holden
2022 Supercars Drivers Champion
2022 Supercars Teams Champion
2022 Supercars Manufacturers Champion
2022 Super2 Drivers Champion

V8SuperRiley

I don't think McLaren could have put a bigger wing on the back of DR's car if they tried in Spa.. Maybe it was already running in this weekend specs?

That Red Bull is an absolute jet, easily the best car out there at the moment.

Sonic

that was some pretty poor driving by Lewis that led to his demise... think folk call him the goat? this is why he is not and never has been. (should note apparently he 'owned it' but that must have happened in an interview after I crashed part way through the race)

the video of him walking away like at the end of a movie was priceless.

expected Verstappen to come through the field but that was one mega start by him!!
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

skaifeman

Quote from: Sonic on August 29, 2022, 01:16:34 PM
that was some pretty poor driving by Lewis that led to his demise... think folk call him the goat? this is why he is not and never has been. (should note apparently he 'owned it' but that must have happened in an interview after I crashed part way through the race)

expected Verstappen to come through the field but that was one mega start by him!!

If we rated every driver on one bad move, pretty sure Grandma in her Mazda 323 would classify as the GOAT.
Lewis owned it and has had the upper hand over George for 5-6 rounds now, it's been great to see him struggling, and still coming up with fantastic drives.

I did laugh at Fernando's comment though, very funny.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

stevo qld

Alonso did have a point about Hamilton's racecraft. He, historically, does well when leading and when in traffic, he is aided by blue flags for passing. Hamilton seems frustrated that all those other drivers do not recognise his brilliance and just let him past to win. ;D

I am still not convinced that Hamilton will continue next year. he loves winning, but on his terms, and for a change, he doesn't have the best car.

QuoteAlonso was far from impressed with Hamilton's driving, and hit out on team radio at the lack of awareness of the Briton when racing against other cars.

"What an idiot closing the door from the outside," said Alonso. "We had a mega start but this guy only knows how to drive and start in first."

https://au.motorsport.com/f1/news/fia-explains-why-hamilton-was-not-to-blame-for-alonso-belgian-gp-clash/10359588/
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

Sonic

Quote from: skaifeman on August 29, 2022, 01:34:33 PM
Quote from: Sonic on August 29, 2022, 01:16:34 PM

If we rated every driver on one bad move, pretty sure Grandma in her Mazda 323 would classify as the GOAT.
Lewis owned it and has had the upper hand over George for 5-6 rounds now, it's been great to see him struggling, and still coming up with fantastic drives.

I did laugh at Fernando's comment though, very funny.

it was not based on that one move, he has been making poor moves for a long time that always seem to be excused and it's not good enough by those in race control to continue to ignore or overlook his poor driving... the bloke knows how to drive but he also makes bad decisions and they should be addressed.

Sonic

Quote from: stevo qld on August 29, 2022, 01:43:23 PM
Alonso did have a point about Hamilton's racecraft. He, historically, does well when leading and when in traffic, he is aided by blue flags for passing. Hamilton seems frustrated that all those other drivers do not recognise his brilliance and just let him past to win. ;D

I am still not convinced that Hamilton will continue next year. he loves winning, but on his terms, and for a change, he doesn't have the best car.

QuoteAlonso was far from impressed with Hamilton's driving, and hit out on team radio at the lack of awareness of the Briton when racing against other cars.

"What an idiot closing the door from the outside," said Alonso. "We had a mega start but this guy only knows how to drive and start in first."

https://au.motorsport.com/f1/news/fia-explains-why-hamilton-was-not-to-blame-for-alonso-belgian-gp-clash/10359588/

that really is a pathetic excuse to not have him brought in... when a driver turns across the nose of another competitor in the manner he did it should be addressed.

your comment about "recognise his brilliance and just let him pass" took me back to the Ambrose press conference all those years ago... another great driver who ended up not letting his driving do the talking while in Oz.

stevo qld

At least the penalty for Hamilton was exclusion, self exclusion that is.  ::)
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

Alan59

I think Hamilton was very lucky not to get a grid penalty for Zandvoort.The nearly anything goes on lap 1 rule saved him although it was hardly a turn 1 incident.

Sonic

I had only planned to watch the start of the race as I was drifting off but ended up watching the whole thing... definitely the race that nobody wanted to win!

The first half was pretty processional but the second half it kicked into gear

mikeamerica84

Interesting how the caution Verstappan badly needed was caused by Tsunoda and the junior Red Bull team.  And a mysterious caution at that.
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

V8SuperRiley

Quote from: mikeamerica84 on September 05, 2022, 10:19:27 AM
Interesting how the caution Verstappan badly needed was caused by Tsunoda and the junior Red Bull team.  And a mysterious caution at that.

I have seen that thrown around a few places..

I'm not a fan of the track for F1. The cars are a bit too big in my opinion.

V8SuperRiley

Disappointed for Dan, and not too impressed with McLarens strategy for him..

Sonic

Quote from: V8SuperRiley on September 12, 2022, 09:17:16 AM
Disappointed for Dan, and not too impressed with McLarens strategy for him..

yeah a shame to see him just stop at the end so the strategy wouldn't have worked anyway.

but to start 3/4 and end up nowhere again isn't good for them.

Max smashed them regardless.

Lewis did well coming from rear of grid.

these penalties are one hell of a joke... but nobody's laughing.

shame to end under a whole swag of SC laps