News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Super-duper cars SMP (spoliers)

Started by REM, October 29, 2021, 02:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kytabu

He did a couple of parade laps after the race was abandoned. We were on the way out so didn't see if he stopped to do a burnout.
"I just plucked her in first, gave it some jandal, f**k yeah!"

stevo qld

I find it amazing that the NSW Gov backed circuit upgrade, costing $33 or $38 million dollars, did not provide suitable surface drainage camber and run off drains to avoid the rivers of water and standing water that featured on the racing surface today at SMP. :( :o
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

Zac

While we're at it: Sydney Motorsport Park is not in a water catchment area. Mark Winterbottom started that off and Mark Beretta and others accepted it and kept it going. Eastern Creek is next to Prospect Reservoir, but Prospect is a storage reservoir, not a catchment dam. Well, it has some parkland around it, and has a 'catchment' of about 8-10 square kms, but compared to Warragamba Dam which has a catchment area of about 10,000 square kms, Prospect is not a catchment reservoir.

Tickford8

Congrats to Van Gis and 888. Well done.

Dont know about anyone else but I'm finding it harder and harder to maintain interest in this series. It really does need a new direction and a massive clean out including the coverage.

Jetpac013

Shame the race got abandoned, I found it very funny however that the drivers were complaing about VHT at the old drag strip particularly Whincup. VHT hasn't been sprayed down there in about 20+ years so not sure where he got that from and the off he had was no where near the old drag strip...

LG

Quote from: Jetpac-013 on November 22, 2021, 07:44:51 AM
Shame the race got abandoned, I found it very funny however that the drivers were complaing about VHT at the old drag strip particularly Whincup. VHT hasn't been sprayed down there in about 20+ years so not sure where he got that from and the off he had was no where near the old drag strip...

It was playing on his mind...    :)  :)  :)

stevo qld

Percat not happy! :(

Wide World of Sports

Bathurst champion slams Sydney Supercars fiasco

WWOS staff 2 hrs ago

The decision by Supercars to abandon last night's race at Sydney Motorsport Park has been slammed by the man who would have started from pole position, Nick Percat.

The former Bathurst 1000 champion had qualified fasted for race 30 of the series, which was abandoned completely after the cars completed a handful of laps behind the safety car.

Sydney's wet weather was behind the decision to throw the red-flag, but Percat said the call, which was also made last month at the same track, was wrong, explaining that the rain was a similar intensity during qualifying earlier in the day.

"The track condition was not much different to what we drove in the shootout, to be honest," he told speedcafe.com.

https://twitter.com/NickPercat/status/1462314113892110336?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
"I think Supercars need to have a rethink on how they judge the track conditions because that's now two races in a row where it's wet and they've declared it when I don't think it needed to be declared.

"Like, we didn't even need to have the wipers going full bore, I had mine on intermediate – there wasn't enough rain around and it just kind of was drizzle all day, so it's pretty frustrating."

The earlier Super2 race had been marred by a sizeable crash in the wet conditions, but the Brad Jones Racing driver pointed out that the best drivers in the sport should be able to put on a show for fans.

Nick Percat had pole for the cancelled race 30 of the Supercars season.© Getty Nick Percat had pole for the cancelled race 30 of the Supercars season.
"This weekend we actually had a really good crowd there at Sydney Motorsport Park, which is hard enough as it is, and then to do that to them after they have sat out there in the rain all day is not ideal," he said.

"Supercars and NSW Government and everyone behind the scenes worked so hard to get us to be able to race these four rounds, maybe we need to put as much effort into making sure we actually complete the races.

"I think they might have got spooked watching Super2 and that crash, but honestly it's a bunch of kids who are fresh out of go-karts, so it's not a fair comparison.

"Not once did I get asked by anyone of any sort of officialdom how the track was."

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/other/bathurst-champion-slams-sydney-supercars-fiasco/ar-AAQY2fe?ocid=msedgntp
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

LG

Don't forget the only car in front of him was the safety/pace car.
Did anyone ask the blokes towards the rear of the field what they could see?

skaifeman

Frosty seemed happy to can it.

A good point is raised all over social media at the moment.
Apparently the rain was no worse than when they let the Super2's and 86's out (granted they ended pretty poorly), but the best drivers in Australia couldn't risk it.

My bet is a couple of QLD teams pulled their weight as to not bin anything before Bathurst - and that's a fair argument too.
Supercars were stuck between a rock and a hard place with this one, couldn't blame them for going either way.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

AlbertM

I think you're on to something Skaifeman.  Supercars would want the main games cars in perfect condition for Bathurst.  Whincups off would have put given them the Willie's.
Ford Faithful

fordman

Quote from: AlbertM on November 22, 2021, 12:24:51 PM
I think you're on to something Skaifeman.  Supercars would want the main games cars in perfect condition for Bathurst.  Whincups off would have put given them the Willie's.

I heard that reason mentioned plenty of times during the many interviews, and its valid any QLD team bending a car would be no chance at Bathurst, and if they were forced to race would have expected them to tippy toe around anyway. Nothing to do with whimpy drivers or over cautious officials but car preservation I think .

Bloopy

Supercars should perhaps realise that rain puts on some of the most exciting racing in the category. Whether that means they need a machine to clear standing water or a fuller wet tyre or something else, I dunno.

the undertaker

Supercars are becoming the Oz version of Nascar, first drops of rain and the flag gets waved. Ho hum series this year

hsv8fan

They're just going to have to build a covered track or sliding roof like the football and tennis and play inside if it gets wet

stevo qld

maybe Supercars need proper rain tyres.
ALBERT EINSTEIN