News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Silly Season 2023

Started by murph_fan51, January 02, 2022, 07:56:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbugger

Quote from: skaifeman on November 07, 2022, 09:21:22 AM
Quote from: stevo qld on November 06, 2022, 05:54:03 PM
As I understand it:

The teams via their RECs, as they were called, actually owned a substantial share of Supercars.

When a buyer came along, their shares were sold on the basis that competitor numbers would be stable for a few years and they would get paid for participating.

It probably needs ALL teams to agree to any changes.

There are a lot of back-markers and midfield team entries out there. A well-funded new entrant just might beat their drivers and they might come 26th instead of 25th.

As to the wildcard entries. They were restricted in 2022 due to the need for a double garage workspace for the Gen3 prototypes, which will free up two additional spots for wildcards. The wildcard rules for next year haven't been announced, if Supercars has even decided.

BJR still has two of its three entries not publicly committed to any driver and SCT have also not announced a driver, and for that matter, even if they will enter. The SCT entrant permit could be sold or leased to Adderton, possibly with a co-driver spot for Jack Smith. Daddy only offered to fund him for a finite number of years. The SCT money might be better spent on a Porsche racer. Jack has proved to be a talented racer in the past, but let's face it, he just isn't cutting through in Supercars.

BJR might even be prepared to run the Boostmobile. Brad must be getting sick of paying for repairs to his own cars.

Adderton even stated he'd give up the charter earnings for the first 2 years!
I'd say he's rubbed a few up and down pitlane the wrong way.

To be fair, whatever Adderton touches gains pretty good fan engagement (for better or worse), he's actually using Supercars to push his brand. Is that really a bad thing? It shows Supercars can be a good marketing tool to other potential sponsors.

For me, I thought there was a fair degree of arrogance about his whole approach. 

I want it.

I have bought a car

Give it to me.

There are others out there that also want it, they need to have the same opportunities to purchase as anyone else.

Adderton, on the surface, seems to shoot his mouth off a bit without engaging his brain.

Would he be good for Supercars? Maybe, he would certainly shake the 💩 out of things, but would it be for the best? I'm not sure it would.
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.

LG

I think PA's approach to Supercars is the biggest hurdle to him ever getting across the line with a team.
It appears his natural gamit is to scream and yell like a baby then jump up and down on the spot, while still screaming and yelling, when nothing happens.
Most kids grow out of their tantrums...

stevo qld

But he has greatly boosted the public's awareness of BOOST. Most people, I suspect, still think it is a fruit juice.

Maybe that is his real gameplan. The cost of a Supercar is small bickies in the advertising world, and it is Tax deductible:D
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

Troy01505

Didn't he pull out from GRM because it cost to much to run up the front?

stevo qld

Quote from: Troy01505 on November 08, 2022, 07:45:07 PM
Didn't he pull out from GRM because it cost to much to run up the front?

Sponsoring a team and racing for a season, as with GRM and Erebus, costs a lot more than buying a car, stickering it with Boost and parking it outside the gate, probably with a big transporter with a billboard size Boost sign.  ::)
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

Sonic

Perhaps Mr Adderton needs to setup a full rival series if he has the cash to splash?

There are plenty of race fans who would like to see some changes within the SC walls... this could be a chance to run with?
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

skaifeman

"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

Bloopy

And this week Roland brings up the issue of the 2023 calendar not being completed: https://www.speedcafe.com/2022/11/16/rolands-view-speedcafe/

I guess covid and the change of ownership made for some weird bumps in the road.

Sonic

Quote from: Bloopy on November 16, 2022, 09:21:04 PM
And this week Roland brings up the issue of the 2023 calendar not being completed: https://www.speedcafe.com/2022/11/16/rolands-view-speedcafe/

I guess covid and the change of ownership made for some weird bumps in the road.

some of his points are valid. rightly or wrongly SC are given first dibs on our permanent circuits which has an onflow effect on every other category trying to establish their own season of racing.

perhaps if the track ownerships told SC "sorry, that date is taken" once or twice they might get it sorted earlier? or just drop to a 3 round year...
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

skaifeman

Cameron Hill confirmed for the second MSR seat:
https://www.supercars.com/news/championship/rookie-hill-scores-second-msr-seat/

Does he bring money? Otherwise I would've thought Fraser would've been the choice? Or even an attempt to poach Best from Tickford.

The 2023 grid, with only 3 BJR seats unconfirmed, but all looking likely to remain the same:
https://www.supercars.com/news/championship/all-the-moves-2023-supercars-grid/
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

murph_fan51

Quote from: skaifeman on November 18, 2022, 04:00:59 PM

Does he bring money? Otherwise I would've thought Fraser would've been the choice? Or even an attempt to poach Best from Tickford.

The 2023 grid, with only 3 BJR seats unconfirmed, but all looking likely to remain the same:
I see no mention of a 26th car  :(
debris debris debris

skaifeman

Quote from: murph_fan51 on November 18, 2022, 05:43:07 PM
Quote from: skaifeman on November 18, 2022, 04:00:59 PM

I see no mention of a 26th car  :(

Definitely disappointing if no 26th car comes about. My assumption was that Adderton didn't get it as a current charter holder was given the preference.

Races at the AGP to be shorter:
https://www.speedcafe.com/2022/11/22/supercars-set-for-shorter-races-at-2023-agp/

Maybe not a bad thing. Short and sharp races have proven exciting in the past!

stevo qld

There are still three seats available, and all currently driven by underperforming drivers. Don't count Boost out, yet.

That's one pay drive at BJR for Bryce Fullwood, currently 17th., if Middys continue to pay the bills.

The owner's boy at BJR, Macauley Jones back in 20th. Brad may accept that he has done his duty to Macauley, who has consistently been a backmarker.

Then there is the SCT car, a BJR customer, driven by another daddy's boy, Jack Smith who is 24th. and the last placed full timer. He has previously shown ability in other classes but failed in Supercars. Jack would be better in Porche or GT3 racing, probably for less outlay from SCT.

The last two seats are prime to lease to Adderton for a bag of money, particularly when he has his own car. Brad must be getting sick of repairing cars after crash damage. Personally, I would like to see BJR run two cars in Super1 backed up by two cars in Super2 and another two cars for Super3. They have the cars to do it. Concentrating on two Super1 cars could bring this team back to the front of the field.

Brad may still take the option of selling and joining Kim in retirement.  ;D
ALBERT EINSTEIN

skaifeman

Quote from: stevo qld on November 22, 2022, 10:51:40 AM
There are still three seats available, and all currently driven by underperforming drivers. Don't count Boost out, yet.

That's one pay drive at BJR for Bryce Fullwood, currently 17th., if Middys continue to pay the bills.

The owner's boy at BJR, Macauley Jones back in 20th. Brad may accept that he has done his duty to Macauley, who has consistently been a backmarker.

Then there is the SCT car, a BJR customer, driven by another daddy's boy, Jack Smith who is 24th. and the last placed full timer. He has previously shown ability in other classes but failed in Supercars. Jack would be better in Porche or GT3 racing, probably for less outlay from SCT.

The last two seats are prime to lease to Adderton for a bag of money, particularly when he has his own car. Brad must be getting sick of repairing cars after crash damage. Personally, I would like to see BJR run two cars in Super1 backed up by two cars in Super2 and another two cars for Super3. They have the cars to do it. Concentrating on two Super1 cars could bring this team back to the front of the field.

All correct and possible.
Still only keeps 25 cars on the grid though.

stevo qld

Quote from: skaifeman on November 22, 2022, 11:22:30 AM
Quote from: stevo qld on November 22, 2022, 10:51:40 AM

All correct and possible.
Still only keeps 25 cars on the grid though.

26 cars is flogging a dead horse for 2023. ;)
ALBERT EINSTEIN