News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Silly Season 2023

Started by murph_fan51, January 02, 2022, 07:56:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

V8SuperRiley

If they don't give the seat to Best, to me it undermines the whole point of them signing him on, and having him as a development driver.

TheArrow

My guess is it has come down to budget. Kostecki was, clearly, nothing more than a pay driver. I'd guess Best only has a budget enough for a few wildcard events throughout the season whereas Fraser may come with a budget that is sufficient for a full season.

They're replacing one pay driver with another pay driver but, hopefully, one that doesn't cost as much as Kostecki did.

Obviously Best has shown he is ready for Supercars but, as is the case with countless talented and skilled drivers, the money isn't behind him to allow him to run a full season.

djr18fan

Well, of all available drivers & options, leasing the entry to Boost mobile to run a well funded, brand new car, with Stanaway at the helm, with technical support from Tickford makes the most sense to me.

Troy01505

Quote from: V8SuperRiley on January 06, 2023, 11:43:31 AM
Quote from: stevo qld on January 05, 2023, 07:16:14 PM
Quote from: SetonFan on January 05, 2023, 04:55:22 PM
If I was Reynolds i'd be starting to get a bit nervous with the Groves' relationship with Anton on the GT programme

I have been thinking the same thing.

Reynolds is essentially a carry over, pay driver, having arrived at Kelly racing with Penrite money and a broken 10-year contract to get the drive.

Grove is on the upward trend and are seeking the best of everything.

Sadly, Reynolds is not. They don't even put him in their endurance team.

Anton has been supported by the Groves for a fair while if I'm correct.

But Anton to Grove and Waters to DJR would be good  ;D

Walters best shot at championship success would be to jump ship, I think Anton and Will are safe until Jett takes the seat.

With Richie taking over GTs cushy drive, this may open the door to a 3rd triple 8 funded car in the future if Gizzy stays on after 2023.

djr18fan

stevo qld

Quote from: TheArrow on January 12, 2023, 09:57:25 PM
My guess...
Obviously Best has shown he is ready for Supercars but, as is the case with countless talented and skilled drivers, the money isn't behind him to allow him to run a full season.

I am wondering if it is the other way around. Best clearly has a contract with Tickford to participate this year and a likely full-time drive in 2024.

I may be that his wildcard contracts are locked in with a sponsor who would not be willing to transfer that sponsorship money to another driver.

In any case they selected the best performing Super 2 driver from 2022, who comes with a very strong recommendation from 888, who don't have a vacancy, having promoted an ex-Tickford driver who is surely in the top 5 in 2023.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

murph_fan51

debris debris debris

stevo qld

Quote from: murph_fan51 on January 14, 2023, 10:47:28 AM
I do wonder what's happening with Peter Addertons car he purchased from T8 though?

https://www.motorsport.com/v8supercars/news/adderton-buys-triple-eight-camaro-2023-supercars/10391341/

One doesn't need to race cars just because one owns them.

Peter Xiberras reportedly owned at least five of the Commodores racing in 2022 and had for years. WUA, Cooldrive, MSR, Grove, 888 and Tickford were running cars that had different owners or sale contracts well in advance.

I suspect, though, that Adderton will still provide Stanaway with some Wildcard drives.

I wonder if the Widcard maximum number applies to teams or to drivers. If it applies to teams then it would be possible for Adderton to pay several different teams to run it once or twice for Stanaway, making a bigger number available for Stanaway.

It will be interesting to see which team/s, if any, get a 2023 BOOST. It may appear on 888 with them running the Wildcard.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

skaifeman

Surprised it hasn't been brought up, Lowndes to team with Goddard: https://www.supercars.com/news/championship/goddard-scores-triple-eight-wildcard-seat/

I rate Goddard, I thought what he did at MSR was pretty good. He copped it pretty harsh at Bathurst. No one better to redeem yourself with than Lowndes.
Does this mean he has a Super2 seat? Or potentially a few 888 wildcards throughout the year?

I'm honestly still surprised that Stanaway teamed with SVG. I thought Whincup was a shoe-in for that seat, and Lowndes to go with 'the kid' Feeney.
Supercheap obviously bring enough money to the table that the 3rd Lowndes car is a profitable one for 888.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

Brazen

I thought the reaction to his crash at Bathurst was a bit over the top... he went off, he tried to keep the speed up to avoid getting bogged (just like Alex Davo did later) and it went pear shaped.

I wish him good luck and I rate 888 for giving him a go

meha

It really makes you wonder if any of the teams are going to be properly ready for the season ahead. With a shortage of parts and limited time to go with the other reported problems I do wonder if all teams will make it to the second test either.

Troy01505

Quote from: meha on January 27, 2023, 01:52:59 PM
It really makes you wonder if any of the teams are going to be properly ready for the season ahead. With a shortage of parts and limited time to go with the other reported problems I do wonder if all teams will make it to the second test either.

They pump this crap out with every new era.

Cars and teams will be good to go with spares for complete rebuilds by race 1

stevo qld

Well, we have to Rember that it was very rushed over a mere 3 plus years. ;D

ALBERT EINSTEIN