News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

COVID-19 discussion

Started by Trevor, May 13, 2021, 04:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlbertM

Quote from: djr18fan on July 02, 2021, 04:34:19 AM

My sources have Sydney at 2000 people per km2. Perhaps it depends on the definition of a city area / boundary.
I don't think distances between cities matters much, if at all. Even distances between countries. Planes.

Lockdowns. Including border controls. Quarantining the sick has been the proven method to deal with diseases for centuries.

At 2000, still puts Sydney outside of most US cities.
Ford Faithful

djr18fan

Quote from: AlbertM on July 02, 2021, 09:37:22 AM
Quote from: djr18fan on July 02, 2021, 04:34:19 AM

My sources have Sydney at 2000 people per km2. Perhaps it depends on the definition of a city area / boundary.
I don't think distances between cities matters much, if at all. Even distances between countries. Planes.

Lockdowns. Including border controls. Quarantining the sick has been the proven method to deal with diseases for centuries.

At 2000, still puts Sydney outside of most US cities.

Not according to the table on this website https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/population-density-by-city?tab=table

But it wouldn't make a big difference if it's 500 or 5000 in a large city. Other factors such as mobility, workplaces & leaning regimes are probably more important.

I had slight swelling at the injection site for first jab. Nothing for the second. No other side effects.

LG

Quote from: Trevor on July 02, 2021, 09:31:55 AM
Hope it goes well for you, U was a bit crook for a couple of days after the first shot, I am due for the 2nd early August- wife has had both AZ shots with very little side affects, nothing from the 2nd shot

Got in on July 16. They're only doing certain times and days as it's a small practice and an influx of 10 people at once could make things tricky.
I'm hoping I don't have any reactions as I have to present a full day's conference the next day.

Ospif1

Quote from: LG on July 02, 2021, 10:52:05 AM
Quote from: Trevor on July 02, 2021, 09:31:55 AM
Hope it goes well for you, U was a bit crook for a couple of days after the first shot, I am due for the 2nd early August- wife has had both AZ shots with very little side affects, nothing from the 2nd shot

Got in on July 16. They're only doing certain times and days as it's a small practice and an influx of 10 people at once could make things tricky.
I'm hoping I don't have any reactions as I have to present a full day's conference the next day.
That's risky.  Both my parents got the AZ vaccine and had flu like symptoms the following day.  Were back normal after that though.

Trevor

Quote from: LG on July 02, 2021, 10:52:05 AM
I would have been able to work the next day, but felt like ****, I got the shot on a Friday, so had the weekend to recover

One of our close friends had the shot with no after effects at all, many have had very small side effects

AlbertM

Quote from: djr18fan link=topic=22.msg1160#msg1160 date=1625185663

Not according to the table on this website
url="https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/population-density-by-city?tab=table"]https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/population-density-by-city?tab=table[/url]

But it wouldn't make a big difference if it's 500 or 5000 in a large city. Other factors such as mobility, workplaces & leaning regimes are probably more important.

Yeah, your source is a bit outta-whack. There is no way Sydney is more densely populated than NYC. Someone has taken Greater Sydney's population but use the area of the City of Sydney (2,100Km2-ish)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population_density

Space does help. That is the whole point of distancing, yes? During the pandemic people are less likely to make the effort to travel for trivial reasons.
Ford Faithful

AlbertM

Here it is Morrisons plan to get us out of the ****. Now if only we had vaccines widely available instead of waiting 3-4 months for new supplies. Stage one is going to last 12months before we have enough vaccinated before moving to stage 2. That is providing the Fed actually acts on this plan.  And the States are going to throw this plan in the bin if covid case run out of control.

Ford Faithful

djr18fan

Quote from: AlbertM on July 02, 2021, 04:05:50 PM
Quote from: djr18fan link=topic=22.msg1160#msg1160 date=1625185663

Not according to the table on this website
url="https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/population-density-by-city?tab=table"]https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/population-density-by-city?tab=table[/url]

Yeah, your source is a bit outta-whack. There is no way Sydney is more densely populated than NYC. Someone has taken Greater Sydney's population but use the area of the City of Sydney (2,100Km2-ish)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population_density

Space does help. That is the whole point of distancing, yes? During the pandemic people are less likely to make the effort to travel for trivial reasons.

As I said, not much difference.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urbanization_in_Australia

Travel for trivial reasons may reduce. But travel for work, shopping is still necessary. No matter how spread apart people may live, I they travel (walk, bus,train,fly whatever) past each other, the virus spreads amongst the whole population just as easily.

the undertaker

Quote from: Trevor on July 01, 2021, 11:08:43 AM
Dan Andrews is a communist

Well, at least you got this right, he's up there with cindy on this side of the Tasman

AlbertM

Quote from: djr18fan on July 02, 2021, 06:27:22 PM

As I said, not much difference.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urbanization_in_Australia

Travel for trivial reasons may reduce. But travel for work, shopping is still necessary. No matter how spread apart people may live, I they travel (walk, bus,train,fly whatever) past each other, the virus spreads amongst the whole population just as easily.

The difference is our cases are well below that of those in the US. 
Ford Faithful

PVDA

Sydney has been cheating on population for years apparently as for population purposes they've been including Wollongong & Newcastle in their stats massively increasing the numbers, if we Vics included Geelong, Ballarat & Bendigo we'd have been a highest population centre years ago.

Anyway, I note the fuss about the Vic Gov declaring the border (River Murray) region of NSW an Orange Zone.

Not a biggie really,  I was up in Maitland (NSW) last weekend and flew back in direct from Newcastle on Sunday night and that was from an Orange zone.  All I had to do was get a Covid test on Monday and isolate for the day (I can work from home most days if I choose to) as the result came through as "Nothing Found" via SMS at 6:15am on Tuesday I could go to work as per normal that day.

The nothing found is interesting as because they stick the cotton wool bud so far up your nose is that no virus or no brain found ??

Trevor

Things are not going well for Aunty Glad at the moment - there is an old saying Aunty - 'people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones'

Some stats from yesterday that are not being made too public

• 40 people in hospital
    11 in ICU
    5 on ventilators

and the media are finally trying to get ScoMo more accountable, it was good to see they are starting to ask him the hard questions, particularly around the reason why NSW is getting priority vaccines

Troy01505

Quote from: Trevor on July 09, 2021, 10:48:44 AM
Things are not going well for Aunty Glad at the moment - there is an old saying Aunty - 'people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones'

Some stats from yesterday that are not being made too public

• 40 people in hospital
    11 in ICU
    5 on ventilators

and the media are finally trying to get ScoMo more accountable, it was good to see they are starting to ask him the hard questions, particularly around the reason why NSW is getting priority vaccines

They are prioritising the state with the biggest problem, a few months back Vic was priority because it was the biggest problem.

AlbertM

Pity Morrison didn't prioritise the vaccines 4 months ago. Morrison gaslit us saying he's done a deal to ramp up the Pfizer vaccine only for Pfizer to come out and say it's been the same deal all along.

Remember that "accident at St Joes? 160 kids got the Pfizer shot they were not eligible for. Funny, it is required for parental permission to administer vaccine to under 18's. How could NSW Health stuff up so bad and no one worried, no outcry from parents... Is it a coincidence that several LNP MPs are alumni?
Ford Faithful

Trevor

Quote from: Troy01505 on July 09, 2021, 10:30:45 PM
They are prioritising the state with the biggest problem, a few months back Vic was priority because it was the biggest problem.
Victoria has got bugger all expecting a bagging by Aunty Glad and ScoMo

everyone knows he needs NSW to win the next election, that is why he has been crowing on for 18 months about what a great job NSW is doing, how they are gold standard etc

what I have learnt in the last few weeks is that she has NOT learnt from others mistakes, she is making them all over again, the same mistake she made with the Ruby Princess - she is a liability