News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

COVID-19 discussion

Started by Trevor, May 13, 2021, 04:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeamerica84

Quote from: Trevor on October 18, 2021, 03:25:54 PM
Quote from: Sonic on October 18, 2021, 03:17:04 PM
fair comment. the slamming between sides (whichever you may be on) has been pretty pathetic in some places that has seen the destruction of friendships that have withstood so much.
even divided families, it has created problems in mine
Trev, I am not slamming you nor ever intended to.  I was just trying to give a third person's point of view on this whole COVID/media/political scene and you post was a segway for me to do so.  I stand well to the right and feel it is a person's right to vaccinate or not to vaccinate.  No one should be telling the American worker that they have to be vaxed to continue their work/profession, and that is the crux of the debate here in the States right now.

Of course this will come full swing when those unvaxed will eventually have to pay higher health insurance premiums, such as smokers do here now.

Shine on with your comments, men.  I value them all.  I was just trying to give you an idea where the current Yanks stand right now - far left and far right.
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

Trevor

I am a very active member of YellowBullet Mike, a drag racing forum in the States.  The debates on there are heated as most of the forum is unmoderated.  Most posters are huge Trump supporting, gun toting, drag racing, anti-COVID, drag racers and there are a few that just hate my opinion :D :D :D :D
I am sick of nit-pickers, looking for mischief where there is none

PHARK IT!!!!!

AlbertM

Out of curiosity, Mike. What is the mood about unvaxed being refused service or being unemployable in the US?
Ford Faithful

LG

We can bitch and complain about what's happening here but just be thankful you don't live in Russia.
Nearly a quarter of a million dead and over 8 million infections.

Trevor

PHARK IT!!!!!

Trevor

Quote from: AlbertM on October 19, 2021, 09:17:11 AM
Out of curiosity, Mike. What is the mood about unvaxed being refused service or being unemployable in the US?
the forum I am on over there, they are going nuts about their rights - what is happening in Australia, particularly Victoria is a huge discussion point

PHARK IT!!!!!

mikeamerica84

Quote from: AlbertM on October 19, 2021, 09:17:11 AM
As for service... I am going to guess restaurant/cafe service?  No pushback.  You might find maybe.... maybe 5% of customers in stores with masks.  In clubs/bars/restaurants/cafes.... no masks.  All being welcomed.  Drinks are flowing.

Employment:  There are some heavy labor union states/businesses.  This is where push is going to come to shove.  If you wish to tell the Teamsters Union (trucking/shipping/logistics) that these old blokes have to get vaxed...... well.... supply lines will be shut down.  Once that happens, the mums will get pissed about not getting groceries and everything will back up the spout.  That leaves your local politicians to step in.  And THAT is where the mess is.  We are going to see real quick coming down the stretch who has the muscle.  Basically, no one in government here is going to tell your law abiding citizen they HAVE to do this as they say.  On the other hand, how much clout does one group have against the Feds?  It is becoming a showdown.

Do not ever forget:  Here, many carry guns.  That is your base line for trying to tell the masses what to do.  It is a different paradigm than Oz.  That adds another bizarre twist to this.  I am not a gun guy, but I realize there is a point with every citizen as to how far one will be pushed.

Bottom line right now:  The average joes just want to not be compromised by this mess.  They want life the way it used to be, and if we cannot make it with the vax, let us just go back anyways and let the chips fall where they fall.

Reporting live from Southwest Michigan......

Mike   :)

mikeamerica84

After posting my last post I just want to say that I realize this pandemic has thrown our lives upside down.  I just wish to report to you down there in Australia (the purple continent in the game of Risk), how things are going up here in the USA (the brown/tan continent).

I wish to repeat that I respect all comments and views - both medical, political, economical, personal, and any others that end in "al".

Let us stay mates in racing.  That is what this forum is for and is run by our good friend laser.

We are going to get cracking again this weekend and that is what it is all about here on V8Central.  I am going to wear a blue shirt all week leading up to the next round to try and push the Fords through.  If you wish to wear red...... I'd be more than happy to buy you a beer.  But I am not going to cheer for you.   ;D

We are all bound by racing.  Let us stay bound through thick and thin, boys.  These are thin times.  Very thin.

Bloopy

Quote from: djr18fan on October 18, 2021, 03:18:33 PM
This is the part I find some interesting. And alarming.
"Neither side can be 100% accurate."

Quote from: AlbertM on October 18, 2021, 11:58:07 PM
The only time there is two sides to a story is who started a bar fight. There are no two side over cold hard facts. Ego prevents people accepting facts when they go against their beliefs. Politics and the media play on that. The weak minded and lazy will always fall for it.

The not 100% accurate thing is actually kinda true of science. The science is often only as good as the studies that've been done up to that point. Scientists are constantly looking to correct and improve on what they know so far. The problem is that the media reports the science as if it's 100% fact, and when the scientists did more studies focused specifically on COVID-19 scenarios, the media reported the results of those as 100% fact too, even though they contradicted what was broadcast early on in the pandemic. We also see the media report the words of one scientist, and then it takes a smarter scientist to come along and point out the flaws in what the first scientist said, and then the media reports that and on it goes.

Now, those of us who did alright in school can actually understand that and take all the info on board as it comes. But you can see how the dunces out there really get confused and start to doubt science altogether!

AlbertM

Yes, Science is ever evolving, as it should. It's also the correct information and factual to this point. The disconnect is people twisting these facts to suit their belief. ie, sheep dip kills Covid in a petri dish therefore "it must be a viable cure for humans".   "That will shut down big pharma and the covid world order."
Ford Faithful

Sonic

Quote from: AlbertM on October 19, 2021, 02:40:05 PM
Yes, Science is ever evolving, as it should. It's also the correct information and factual to this point. The disconnect is people twisting these facts to suit their belief. ie, sheep dip kills Covid in a petri dish therefore "it must be a viable cure for humans".   "That will shut down big pharma and the covid world order."

Nope. The 'science' isn't evolving. That doesn't change.

What does change is that those who study whatever it may be (the scientists) get it wrong and make mistakes. It is part of being human.
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

AlbertM

Quote from: mikeamerica84 on October 19, 2021, 11:47:18 AM
After posting my last post I just want to say that I realize this pandemic has thrown our lives upside down.  I just wish to report to you down there in Australia (the purple continent in the game of Risk), how things are going up here in the USA (the brown/tan continent).

I wish to repeat that I respect all comments and views - both medical, political, economical, personal, and any others that end in "al".

Let us stay mates in racing.  That is what this forum is for and is run by our good friend laser.

We are going to get cracking again this weekend and that is what it is all about here on V8Central.  I am going to wear a blue shirt all week leading up to the next round to try and push the Fords through.  If you wish to wear red...... I'd be more than happy to buy you a beer.  But I am not going to cheer for you.   ;D

We are all bound by racing.  Let us stay bound through thick and thin, boys.  These are thin times.  Very thin.

Value you input Mike. I take an interest in what our US brethren are up to. Lately, I'm addicted to these copwatch and 1st amendment audit videos on youtube for some reason.

Some of my comments on here might seem I have it out for the unvaccinated. Like you I believe in people's choice to get vaccinated or not. I also believe people are free to discriminate(for the lack of a better word) against those that choose not to.  My tolerance run out for those actively discouraging vaccines over non existent reasons.

Ford Faithful

AlbertM

Quote from: Sonic on October 19, 2021, 02:47:05 PM
Quote from: AlbertM on October 19, 2021, 02:40:05 PM

What does change is that those who study whatever it may be (the scientists) get it wrong and make mistakes. It is part of being human.

Umm, science is a process, a study of finding out the how, what, where... Extremely rare for controlled tested and peer reviewed science to be found wrong.
Ford Faithful

Bloopy

Quote from: Sonic on October 19, 2021, 02:47:05 PM

The word science means the activity of studying/understanding/gathering knowledge. Not the thing being studied. Our understanding and knowledge evolve, so science most definitely evolves.

I was talking more about the cases where something hasn't been studied to a fine enough level of detail. That's not necessarily the same as getting it wrong. Things like identifying transmission routes of a virus through the air or how long microscopic respiratory droplets remain suspended in the air are extremely difficult and require cutting-edge equipment. It's not that scientists missed it because they made mistakes. Though the WHO certainly did make mistakes in how they interpreted the absence of such evidence, and the organisation is probably made up of scientists...

Trevor

Quote from: AlbertM on October 19, 2021, 02:58:50 PM
Value you input Mike. I take an interest in what our US brethren are up to. Lately, I'm addicted to these copwatch and 1st amendment audit videos on youtube for some reason.

Some of my comments on here might seem I have it out for the unvaccinated. Like you I believe in people's choice to get vaccinated or not. I also believe people are free to discriminate(for the lack of a better word) against those that choose not to.  My tolerance run out for those actively discouraging vaccines over non existent reasons.
jump on that American drag racing site I mentioned and you will get a REAL feel for how that fraternity feels about it all

PHARK IT!!!!!