News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

WAU to race Mustangs

Started by Zac, May 03, 2022, 04:21:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

REM

Quote from: Zac on May 11, 2022, 04:41:51 PM
Quote from: REM on May 10, 2022, 04:21:29 PM
"There's too many Holdens now and you can't even buy a Holden; Holden don't exist."
https://www.speedcafe.com/2022/05/09/bowe-wau-owes-holden-nothing/

Quote from: hsv8fan on May 11, 2022, 09:54:24 AM
Quote from: Zac on May 10, 2022, 06:30:20 PM
I agree - and JB would know. He races one, and you know how JB and I get along  :-*
Doesn't John Bowe race a Torana?

Yes, he does - a Holden Torana.

and a lovely bit of kit it is too....

LG

Quote from: hsv8fan on May 11, 2022, 09:54:24 AM
Quote from: Zac on May 10, 2022, 06:30:20 PM
I agree - and JB would know. He races one, and you know how JB and I get along  :-*

Doesn't John Bowe race a Torana?

JB currently races many different makes of vehicles.

murph_fan51

Quote from: REM on May 10, 2022, 04:21:29 PM
JB always says some great things!!

"So good luck to them, and it will be good because it means there will be a few more Mustangs out there. They're pretty good operators so I think it will be great.

"There's too many Holdens now and you can't even buy a Holden; Holden don't exist."

https://www.speedcafe.com/2022/05/09/bowe-wau-owes-holden-nothing/
Yeah and you couldn't buy an FGX and they still raced them in Supercars. He makes it sound like no Holden should ever race again.
I think Bowe is right in the first part re manufacture rivalry is not there anymore. Heck you have SM with a Chevy bow tie in America and in Australia races with Blue Oval.
debris debris debris

billybanana

Red v Blue is dead. Never coming back. I don't know why the series keep banging on about it. It just infuriates me more given how GM shafted Holden. I couldn't care less what panels my preferred driver sticks on his shell.

Anyway back to WAU. Good luck to them and hopefully they can regain some on going consistency. No one likes or two teams dominating, no matter who you support.

REM

Quote from: billybanana on May 12, 2022, 04:54:51 PM
Red v Blue is dead. Never coming back. I don't know why the series keep banging on about it. It just infuriates me more given how GM shafted Holden. I couldn't care less what panels my preferred driver sticks on his shell.

Anyway back to WAU. Good luck to them and hopefully they can regain some on going consistency. No one likes or two teams dominating, no matter who you support.

They looked like a real emerging force last year.....less so this year.....really wrapped to have Chaz back.....but can he please stick away from Cam and JC and maybe run into SVG instead...... ;) :o

skaifeman

Quote from: REM on May 12, 2022, 06:03:29 PM

They looked like a real emerging force last year.....less so this year.....really wrapped to have Chaz back.....but can he please stick away from Cam and JC and maybe run into SVG instead...... ;) :o

To be fair they've been pretty good this year, the best they've been in a decade, until the last race meeting.
Compared to last season, they're still better off. We all just remember Bathurst...
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

REM

Quote from: skaifeman on May 12, 2022, 06:09:39 PM
Quote from: REM on May 12, 2022, 06:03:29 PM

To be fair they've been pretty good this year, the best they've been in a decade, until the last race meeting.
Compared to last season, they're still better off. We all just remember Bathurst...

Did you see Tassie? They won there last year!! How about WA? They were tail enders.....

I actually think if they can get there **** together, the scope is there to become the powerhouse Ford team....."ïf"....

Zac

IF they can get their **** together. Too erratic in all areas for mine. Since the team's inception in 2017 (as 'Walkinshaw', before morphing into WAU), this team has finished 7th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 4th in the Teams Championship, and in 2022 is currently 6th. That's regularly last of the 'big' teams. Teamwork, car setup, drivers, etc are all capable of big results but are overall a bit on the erratic side. Maybe a change to Gen3 and a change of brand will bring better things. I predict a slight improvement for the rest of this year, maybe up a spot or two next year...  at best. 

stevo qld

I am curious about the Mustang Supercar testing with revised Aero in the USA and whether it has any effect on the Aero of the Gen 3 Mustangs, of which WAU is one of the entrants.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

TheArrow

Quote from: stevo qld on May 12, 2022, 09:11:43 PM
I am curious about the Mustang Supercar testing with revised Aero in the USA and whether it has any effect on the Aero of the Gen 3 Mustangs, of which WAU is one of the entrants.
Did you read any of the articles about it? V8Sleuth had the best one that I read.

Nothing at all to do with Supercars or Gen3 or anything.

stevo qld

Quote from: TheArrow on May 12, 2022, 10:51:36 PM
Did you read any of the articles about it? V8Sleuth had the best one that I read.

So they say. V8 Supercars claim to control the intellectual property of the car design.

I did rad the article an that is why I remain curious.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

TheArrow

Quote from: stevo qld on May 12, 2022, 11:02:23 PM
Quote from: TheArrow on May 12, 2022, 10:51:36 PM

So they say. V8 Supercars claim to control the intellectual property of the car design.

I did rad the article an that is why I remain curious.
We're getting slightly off topic but the car had numerous aero and other features removed at Supercars request so even if any information could be gathered it is highly unlikely it would be of any use, especially with Gen3 around the corner and this being a (modified) Gen2 car.

REM

Quote from: Zac on May 12, 2022, 08:56:54 PM
IF they can get their **** together. Too erratic in all areas for mine. Since the team's inception in 2017 (as 'Walkinshaw', before morphing into WAU), this team has finished 7th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 4th in the Teams Championship, and in 2022 is currently 6th. That's regularly last of the 'big' teams. Teamwork, car setup, drivers, etc are all capable of big results but are overall a bit on the erratic side. Maybe a change to Gen3 and a change of brand will bring better things. I predict a slight improvement for the rest of this year, maybe up a spot or two next year...  at best.

True Gil, but consider this....currently there is only a 100 points between Chaz and Courtney and JC is closing in......so many people talked Chaz up(as the one to beat SVG) and crapped on JC....it's kind of mind boggling.....

The WAU supporters group FB page is interesting......a pervasive dysphoria....people don't know what to do, some are switching or leaving, some are unsure, a bunch staying and going blue...and some hardcore T8/Holden fans putting **** on everything and everyone....I feel for the moderators who seem like nice people....strange days indeed!!

skaifeman

Quote from: REM on May 13, 2022, 07:04:59 AM
Quote from: Zac on May 12, 2022, 08:56:54 PM

True Gil, but consider this....currently there is only a 100 points between Chaz and Courtney and JC is closing in......so many people talked Chaz up(as the one to beat SVG) and crapped on JC....it's kind of mind boggling.....

The WAU supporters group FB page is interesting......a pervasive dysphoria....people don't know what to do, some are switching or leaving, some are unsure, a bunch staying and going blue...and some hardcore T8/Holden fans putting **** on everything and everyone....I feel for the moderators who seem like nice people....strange days indeed!!

It's a tough one REM. The fans in the Walkinshaw fold are so engrained red. The link between the road/race was so strong.
You can't pull up to a bar with your mates with a Blue cap on after wearing a Red one for so long can you? And with WAU Factory support, it will be Blue!

This becomes the nail in my coffin to become just a 'racing' fan. Over time my favourite driver has gone, Australian manufacturing has gone, Holden has gone, now WAU leaves. I fully understand the older guys on here talking about 'the good old days.'
That's not to say I'm not as invested/interested in the sport, it's just I'm there for the sport itself now. Not fully impartial, I'll still be a GM man, but racing is the reason more so than drivers/teams.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

stevo qld

A lot of people felt the same when Dick Johnson moved from Holden to Ford.

It is a business and if your sponsor says go Ford, then you go Ford (or vice versa). In this case the sponsor is Ford itself.

I suspect that a lot of Holden fans moved on, some years ago, from Walkinshaws to back winners.

I hope t6hey are competitive in gen 3.

ALBERT EINSTEIN