News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

WAU to race Mustangs

Started by Zac, May 03, 2022, 04:21:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

murph_fan51

Quote from: Troy01505 on May 04, 2022, 10:55:20 AM
Why would they go to Ford with such a disadvantage? Oh that's right, they are disadvantaged in any brand of car!

Ford special Vehicles mass producing performance Mustang's and Rangers would be the only reason.
Who's buying them though? How many HSV Colorado were sold? How many Camaro were sold? The Mustang is overpriced in standard spec here in Aus/NZ, let alone tuned versions so can't see that being the only reason?
debris debris debris

Troy01505

Quote from: murph_fan51 on May 06, 2022, 04:14:28 PM
Why would they go to Ford with such a disadvantage? Oh that's right, they are disadvantaged in any brand of car!

Ford special Vehicles mass producing performance Mustang's and Rangers would be the only reason.
Who's buying them though? How many HSV Colorado were sold? How many Camaro were sold? The Mustang is overpriced in standard spec here in Aus/NZ, let alone tuned versions so can't see that being the only reason?

Mustangs here are everywhere.

Walkinshaw will get the entire HSV buyer base plus a fair few of XR8/XR6 nuts that still want RWD cars. Do the sums. Even if they get the same customer base as the HSVs did they'll be turning a decent profit

skaifeman

Quote from: Troy01505 on May 06, 2022, 06:25:33 PM

Walkinshaw will get the entire HSV buyer base plus a fair few of XR8/XR6 nuts that still want RWD cars. Do the sums. Even if they get the same customer base as the HSVs did they'll be turning a decent profit

Yeah sure, they might shift 500 of them a year if they're lucky. That's not mass production.

...and this: https://www.speedcafe.com/torquecafe/ford-rules-out-walkinshaw-road-car-deal/
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

stevo qld

Quote from: skaifeman on May 06, 2022, 08:04:00 PM
Quote from: Troy01505 on May 06, 2022, 06:25:33 PM

Yeah sure, they might shift 500 of them a year if they're lucky. That's not mass production.
mass production is not the aim.

PROFIT is king. ;D
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

Dasha

This is great news as far as I am concerned & to have Mostert back with the blue oval is fantastic.
Also having more competitive Fords out there especially for Bathurst can only be a good thing. ;) ;)

Troy01505

Quote from: Dasha on May 07, 2022, 01:44:35 PM
This is great news as far as I am concerned & to have Mostert back with the blue oval is fantastic.
Also having more competitive Fords out there especially for Bathurst can only be a good thing. ;) ;)

Unless Walkinshaw have a Kelly like curse with building cars, been a long, long time since they've been a threat

Zac

John Bowe's take on 'WAU to race Mustangs':

https://www.speedcafe.com/2022/05/09/bowe-wau-owes-holden-nothing/

"I generally think the fan base now is more team-related than car brand-related."
"I don't think the loyalty to a Ford badge or a Holden badge or a GM badge is anything like it used to be. It's more team-related, and to a certain degree, driver-related."
Exactly - and heading that way more and more.

REM

JB always says some great things!!

"So good luck to them, and it will be good because it means there will be a few more Mustangs out there. They're pretty good operators so I think it will be great.

"There's too many Holdens now and you can't even buy a Holden; Holden don't exist."

Zac

I agree - and JB would know. He races one, and you know how JB and I get along  :-*

REM

Quote from: Zac on May 10, 2022, 06:30:20 PM
I agree - and JB would know. He races one, and you know how JB and I get along  :-*

LOL, yes indeed.....seen that first hand!! :D

hsv8fan

Doesn't John Bowe race a Torana?

Dasha

I have been following the sport since the Touring car days from 1980 & have always been a Ford fan after following Dick Johnson who has kept his loyalty to the Ford brand & I think that DJ has stayed loyal to Ford due to his beginning with the rock & the way the Ford fans got behind him & basically kick started his career.
To be honest if DJR went to Holden / Chev it would break my heart as I have always seen DJR as a Ford team.
I totally understand that drivers have to go where they think they have a better chance of building a successful career, but to be honest there is something about loyalty that appeals to me..
In other sports like AFL you can have a favorite player & when he or she moves to another club to be honest it does get you down, especially when you see then in a club you don't like & they kick your butt   ;)

Anyway what I am trying to say is that I do like following certain drivers that you like & they stay loyal to the brand also the main reason I have followed the sport is the Ford V Holden rivalry, now Ford V Chev rivalry which I believe is the main thing that people that follow Supercars.

So after saying that what do the rest of you like about the category, is it the old Ford V Holden / Chev rivalry or a certain team or driver ?   

the undertaker

I follow Ford, I have through thick and thin. If drivers change teams and makes, my support for them stops. When Moff raced the Monza and RX7 I didn't barrack for him.

Personal opinion only.

mikeamerica84

Quote from: Dasha on May 11, 2022, 12:00:06 PM
Anyway what I am trying to say is that I do like following certain drivers that you like & they stay loyal to the brand also the main reason I have followed the sport is the Ford V Holden rivalry, now Ford V Chev rivalry which I believe is the main thing that people that follow Supercars.

So after saying that what do the rest of you like about the category, is it the old Ford V Holden / Chev rivalry or a certain team or driver ?   

For the better part of 35 years I have been brand loyal as a Ford man, but as time goes by and things change, I am more driver loyal.  As for my own road vehicles, brand loyalty (Ford) has pretty much gone out with about the same time frame/period.  I can keep any brand running on the road for a long period of time.  Does not matter the make.  I let Sue decide what she wants and take her castoffs now and keep them going until they are completely done.

But driver loyalty is now my answer, sir.  Thank you for asking.
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

Zac

Quote from: REM on May 10, 2022, 04:21:29 PM
"There's too many Holdens now and you can't even buy a Holden; Holden don't exist."

Quote from: hsv8fan on May 11, 2022, 09:54:24 AM
Doesn't John Bowe race a Torana?

Yes, he does - a Holden Torana.