News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

WAU to race Mustangs

Started by Zac, May 03, 2022, 04:21:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zac

WAU will switch to Mustangs for next year. (No, it's May 3rd today, and it's true.) Good, bad or indifferent news for Ford fans? At least it redresses the 15-9 imbalance to 13-11.

the undertaker

As the owner of a Mustang I'm happy there's going to be more on the grid

Zac

Dave, Dave? Are you there Dave?  ;D

REM

Yes, yes, yes......!!!! I did suggest it some time back!! Moyso - WAU, we will welcome you with open arms!!! :) ;)

https://www.speedcafe.com/2022/05/03/waus-shock-ford-supercars-switch/?fbclid=IwAR0Mfp-PJv7LQX26PTs8sFSx7121QwEEHp8CJ4Nl7dH6yuH0L9SwGlEdvNs

skaifeman

Heard this rumour earlier in the week.
Wouldn't say shock, Walkinshaw has been expanding their business since they cut ties with Holden - now the biggest manufacturer of vehicles in Australia.

Would they be in the mind to do more Ford conversions ala what they're doing with the Silverado? Maybe even an eye as the Ford homologation team given there's now a Penske sized hole in the market.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

REM

Quote from: skaifeman on May 03, 2022, 05:30:37 PM
Heard this rumour earlier in the week.
Wouldn't say shock, Walkinshaw has been expanding their business since they cut ties with Holden - now the biggest manufacturer of vehicles in Australia.

Would they be in the mind to do more Ford conversions ala what they're doing with the Silverado? Maybe even an eye as the Ford homologation team given there's now a Penske sized hole in the market.

Having just ordered a new v6 Everest, I am keen to see what upgrades WAU offer.....the new Ranger and Everest are going to turn the market on it's head....smart move from WAU methinks....

murph_fan51

Wonder what advantage racing the Gen3 Mustang would give the team? As skaifeman says, could be their road car conversion? But with the Mustang already RHD and Tickford existing, they must be looking into other Ford models?

It seems no manufacture is really interested in this sport, there is only one!
debris debris debris

Joe5619

Big news!!

Given Frosty is now close to useless & will retire soon, I'm so glad my #2 driver is going back to Fords.

I saw on the news yesterday that Ford will now convert F150 locally in Australia, I wonder if there is some kind of link here?

hsv8fan

I thought the sky had fallen in.... Until i read a speculative media story.
When the facts come out of WAU, I'll take it as gospel.
Good luck to them as I'm sure there are plenty around who will say 888 will manipulate everything so they keep winning anyway.

REM

Quote from: hsv8fan on May 03, 2022, 08:04:55 PM
I thought the sky had fallen in.... Until i read a speculative media story.
When the facts come out of WAU, I'll take it as gospel.
Good luck to them as I'm sure there are plenty around who will say 888 will manipulate everything so they keep winning anyway.
roll on the Friday announcement then hey! The sky looks very heavy..... ;)

madbugger

Did not see that coming

welcome home Chaz
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.

AlbertM

Oh dear god. All that Brock, Skaife, Lowndes HRT/HSVDT history now represented by the Blue Oval. Someone want to check behind the 05 Bar. I fear someone might have died of alcohol poisoning.

Just happy Mostert will be back in blue.
Ford Faithful

stevo qld

I do not agree with crediting the Walkinshaws with so much of the Holden legacy. Championships were won by the Kellys. Walkinshaws were just a product supplier to others including Mark Skaife. Tom was even barred from running a Supercar Team, allegedly, if my memory is correct.

It seems to me that the Walkinshaw business has made a lot of money producing high performance Holden V8s. Holden has ceased to exist, even if GM does.

So, for a high performance version of a production V8 road car, there is really only one manufacturer that has a suitable car,

Ford and it's Mustang, of course. All others have faded into the world of Nostalgia.

Mustang and Walkinshaw Performance Vehicles (or whatever marketing name) is the only fit.

WAU and Walkinshaw are the best current fit.  :D
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

stp01

All the best to WAU. May their form from Perth continue into the next 5 years  ;D
Triple Eight and Holden
2022 Supercars Drivers Champion
2022 Supercars Teams Champion
2022 Supercars Manufacturers Champion
2022 Super2 Drivers Champion

CP

Quote from: Joe5619 on May 03, 2022, 05:53:47 PM

I saw on the news yesterday that Ford will now convert F150 locally in Australia, I wonder if there is some kind of link here?

That's been in the news for a few weeks with the factory conversions done by RMA.

Whether they could've done them in the volume that they want might be why we have this.

It's history happening in reverse.

A former Ford backed team lost their backing, went to Holden and later on became the factory team, whereas in this instance, former factory Holden team loses backing, and heads over to the blue oval with their backing.