News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Applauds & Smites

Started by mikeamerica84, May 09, 2022, 06:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the undertaker

Replaced by a moron, a deputy who emails his questions to the Chinese first, and someone who will spread. Looks exciting for Austchinaralia

Trevor

Quote from: the undertaker on May 22, 2022, 06:51:13 AM
Replaced by a moron, a deputy who emails his questions to the Chinese first, and someone who will spread. Looks exciting for Austchinaralia
You can always fly out any time you like, borders are open - don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out
I am sick of nit-pickers, looking for mischief where there is none

PHARK IT!!!!!

laser

Is the problem that bad that we need to get rid of it ?

I've read all the replies and check the scores and it all looks fine to me.

As per the other advice - ignore it if you want, focus on it if you must.

I treat it as an "indicator" of what the person is like on the forums ( this can differ from real life ) BUT is there a particular member that is being abused and I should be looking at that ?
Webmaster and Subaru WRX fan :)

Trevor

Your call Chris - I personally think it is funny, like a badge of honour, but in reverse  ;D ;D ;D ;D
I am sick of nit-pickers, looking for mischief where there is none

PHARK IT!!!!!

Sonic

Quote from: laser on May 23, 2022, 12:00:55 PM

I treat it as an "indicator" of what the person is like on the forums ( this can differ from real life ) BUT is there a particular member that is being abused and I should be looking at that ?

I just wanna know how LG is currently at +43/-13 but I'm +57/-85...

Is HE the one going around smiting to make himself look good I'm wondering? :P
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

LG

Quote from: Sonic on May 23, 2022, 05:47:09 PM

You know me - I couldn't give 2 hoots.  :)  :)

But now you mention it...  ;)

madbugger

I would ask the question " Do they add anything positive to the forum?"

Personally, I think not. They have been tried on a few other forums I am on, and in every case except here, are no longer a feature.

As someone posted, ignore them if you don't like them, or use them if you must, I just don't see the point of them other than to be a means to cause mischief.

🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.

stevo qld

As I have said "Ignore them". :-*

I should also ignore this thread, which I will henceforth manage. 8)

I do wonder, however, if the Mods or Owner have access to these records. ???
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

LG

Quote from: stevo qld on May 24, 2022, 07:58:46 PM
As I have said "Ignore them". :-*

I should also ignore this thread, which I will henceforth manage. 8)

Wonder away...   :)  :)  :)

madbugger

At an educated guess, I would say yes.

Pretty hard to administer or moderate that which you cannot see. :o
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.

Sonic

Quote from: LG on May 23, 2022, 06:21:35 PM
Quote from: Sonic on May 23, 2022, 05:47:09 PM

You know me - I couldn't give 2 hoots.  :)  :)

But now you mention it...  ;)

I smite in your general direction! :P
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

murph_fan51

Quote from: madbugger on May 25, 2022, 07:24:28 AM

At an educated guess, I would say yes.

Pretty hard to administer or moderate that which you cannot see. :o
Then Sonic would see where all his smites come from.
TBH not sure why Sonic has so many smites?

We seem to live without the coloured boxes, so maybe we could live without the applaud / smites too?
debris debris debris

TheArrow

I think the fact we currently have two active threads discussing the need for 'smites/applauds' including this one which was made by someone with significantly more 'applauds' and the first 3 users to agree with the opening post also have significantly more 'applauds' than smites kind of implies that they're not something anyone wants.

"Just ignore it" is perpetuating the school yard bully mentality that is so prevalent on forums and was very active on the old forum. What benefits do they bring to the site? Apart from "an "indicator" of what the person is like on the forums" which in itself is inaccurate considering you can 'smite' and 'applaud' someone multiple times for the same post.

All it will do is create an echo chamber of members with the same opinions. Most of the 'smites' I see are for members and posts with different opinions from the majority. Some of these members are going to get sick of seeing that number rise and will stop visiting the forum which will mean discussions will stop and the forum will probably die.

Others I see are for no reason other than childishly targeting members.

So many other social media sites have removed, or at least given members the option to hide the number of likes on their posts to help handle the growing mental health crisis caused from online interactions. Some members might be able to handle seeing that number go up, but others wont. I think that's evident again by the fact we have two active posts on the subject.

Not only that, there is also the subconscious impact it has on the way members view comments based on the number of 'applauds/smites' the member has. Some members will see the user and the number below their name and will have their opinion of the comment already set before reading it. That's what happens on social media. That number does and will influence the opinions of the reader, that's a proven fact.

In the end its up to you what you do, but I feel like the arguments for removing it are far greater than the arguments to keep it.

stevo qld

Is the smite facility fixed to the new platform V8 Central now uses?

If there is no option to remove it, then please can these threads.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

LG

Certainly no need to 'can the thread.'
There is nothing wrong with the discussion.