News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

2023 Calendar

Started by skaifeman, November 23, 2022, 02:07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonic

Quote from: Trevor on November 25, 2022, 05:06:05 PM
Quote from: mikeamerica84 on November 24, 2022, 11:17:51 PM
Quote from: Trevor on November 24, 2022, 12:18:02 PM
A bigger worry is there are now 3 more permanent tracks off the calendar
I'll take a little more optimistic point of view, Trev.  When Clipsal/Adelaide was on the ropes, SA looked like they were going to be iced out but then the series started racing at The Bend.  Now with Adelaide back, we (we - I like to think of myself having a remote interest here) now have a permanent course in SA, and in the long run, have another race in SA on the calendar.

True, Pukey is gone, but Hampton Downs is just sitting there.  Supercars just has to get their heads around that course.  I am confident that they can do that - maybe in 2024?  So there IS one NZ track in the wings.

All is not lost, mate.  The glass is a little less full, but not that less.  Keeping drinking up!   ;)
private enterprise stepped in to save South Aussie, Supercars couldn't give one shyte, until they NEED too.

Correct if I am wrong here Sonic, but how many times has Winton pulled them out of the sh!t? When China fell over, a couple of years ago during the pandemic? And one other that I can't remember, and this is how they are treated.

**** Supercars

2 events that year? put on at short notice I think?

Winton is always good value and so easy to work with (in my opinion)... good folk there and they do their best to make it all happen.

I still do chuckle when folk complain about how small a track Winton is... but they love Sandown... (3km vs 3.1km... I guess that extra 100 metres at Sandown makes all the difference for some)

the sooner street tracks are dispatched the better... they are a curse on motorsport.
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

Alan59

Quote from: Sonic on November 25, 2022, 07:07:32 PM
Quote from: Trevor on November 25, 2022, 05:06:05 PM
Quote from: mikeamerica84 on November 24, 2022, 11:17:51 PM
Quote from: Trevor on November 24, 2022, 12:18:02 PM
A bigger worry is there are now 3 more permanent tracks off the calendar
I'll take a little more optimistic point of view, Trev.  When Clipsal/Adelaide was on the ropes, SA looked like they were going to be iced out but then the series started racing at The Bend.  Now with Adelaide back, we (we - I like to think of myself having a remote interest here) now have a permanent course in SA, and in the long run, have another race in SA on the calendar.

True, Pukey is gone, but Hampton Downs is just sitting there.  Supercars just has to get their heads around that course.  I am confident that they can do that - maybe in 2024?  So there IS one NZ track in the wings.

All is not lost, mate.  The glass is a little less full, but not that less.  Keeping drinking up!   ;)
private enterprise stepped in to save South Aussie, Supercars couldn't give one shyte, until they NEED too.

Correct if I am wrong here Sonic, but how many times has Winton pulled them out of the sh!t? When China fell over, a couple of years ago during the pandemic? And one other that I can't remember, and this is how they are treated.

**** Supercars

Winton is always good value and so easy to work with (in my opinion)... good folk there and they do their best to make it all happen.

I still do chuckle when folk complain about how small a track Winton is... but they love Sandown... (3km vs 3.1km... I guess that extra 100 metres at Sandown makes all the difference for some)

the sooner street tracks are dispatched the better... they are a curse on motorsport.
I'm pretty sure Newcastle will be gone after next year which is the final event on the current contract.A lot of local resident opposition and highly likely to be a new state government who will want to differentiate themselves from the current governments largesse.
Of course Supercars want to replace it with Singapore as a F1 support.

Trevor

I always laugh and the "small track" thing as well.  Winton is longer than Tassie, Perth, Darwin and I think the same as NZ or longer, 100m shorter than Qld and Sandown
I am sick of nit-pickers, looking for mischief where there is none

PHARK IT!!!!!

madbugger

Quote from: Trevor on November 26, 2022, 05:16:07 AM

I always laugh and the "small track" thing as well.  Winton is longer than Tassie, Perth, Darwin and I think the same as NZ or longer, 100m shorter than Qld and Sandown

The other often overlooked thing about Winton is that you can see almost the whole track from many vantage points, not something that can be said for any street circuit.

Add to that the camping facilities and in a location that is central to many decent sized rural cities.

I think the small track thing is a hangover from the old circuit and Dick Johnson's comment likening it to running a marathon around a clothesline.

Losing Winton is a blow and almost removes my fingernail grip on my continued support for Supercars.
If any one driver continues to have the domination that has been for the last few years then it is hard to see any future for my continued support.

The appeal of Indycar and Nascar is that on any race weekend so many drivers and teams are in with a shot at victory. F1 is an absolute joke with the domination that a single team has had the last decade, It is very hard to watch.
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.

Trevor

Dick's comment is not relevant today as it refers to the track BEFORE the 1 kilometre extension

PHARK IT!!!!!

Trevor

It is just Supercars screwing over permanent tracks, coz they don't meet their holier than tho attitude
It will he to their detriment when the permanent tracks are needed again andc Suprrcars are told **** off

PHARK IT!!!!!

Troy01505

Disappointed about Winton and no NZ. Winton is a great track for drivers and fans and NZ has provided us with a few of the top 10 drivers of ATCC, V8 and Supercars eras

mikeamerica84

I'll continue with a little more upbeat banter, skaifey.

Lost in all of this thread is that Sandown is once again an Enduro round.  That has to go into the "plus" column for reviewing the 2023 calendar.

Granted, Winton, PI, and QR not being there is a "minus", but if predictions hold true, and Newcastle is in its last year, one of those has to come back, maybe even with Hampton Downs.  It has to be easier for Supercars to revive one of those than to seek out a new city/town/street layout for 2024.  But maybe I am wrong.  Asian money talks.
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

madbugger

Quote from: Trevor on November 26, 2022, 09:43:44 AM
Dick's comment is not relevant today as it refers to the track BEFORE the 1 kilometre extension

which is why my comment said:

I think the small track thing is a hangover from the old circuit and Dick Johnson's comment likening it to running a marathon around a clothesline.

And I think his comment is still relevant. The perception is of a small rural circuit, and Dickson comment, even though it was made many years ago, still sticks in peoples minds
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.

Trevor

Quote from: madbugger on November 27, 2022, 06:31:31 AM

And I think his comment is still relevant. The perception is of a small rural circuit, and Dickson comment, even though it was made many years ago, still sticks in peoples minds

Why is it a small circuit,  because it it doesn't have long straights with some bendy bits at either end

PHARK IT!!!!!

CP

Quote from: Trevor on November 27, 2022, 07:29:25 AM

Why is it a small circuit,  because it it doesn't have long straights with some bendy bits at either end

I think it's more the vibe of the place as it's out in the country, as to why it seems small.

Bloopy

The lower speed due to the lack of a longer straight could make it feel smaller. But Winton throws up some interesting results sometimes as even the top teams find it hard to setup for. Hope it's back by 2024.

Trevor

Quote from: CP on November 27, 2022, 09:39:53 AM
Quote from: Trevor on November 27, 2022, 07:29:25 AM

I think it's more the vibe of the place as it's out in the country, as to why it seems small.
the Bend is just as remote

PHARK IT!!!!!

stevo qld

There is still hope.

This is only a draft.

In fact, if you look at the Supercars website, you will find that they have yet to finalise the 2022 season, as it is still a draft.  ::)
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

Yamarocket630

IMO, Winton, Queensland Raceway, and Tassie are always the most boring races. Even when the racing is good, its boring.  Im not sad to see any of them go away.