News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Silly Season 2024

Started by skaifeman, May 03, 2023, 09:09:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skaifeman

Quote from: AlbertM on July 04, 2023, 09:55:37 PM
Quote from: Troy01505 on July 04, 2023, 07:32:45 PMWaters has probably already emailed his resume!

Is he good enough for 888 though?  ;D

It's hilarious reading the bowtie boys posts, that all the Ford drivers are just not good enough this season. Yet when the possibility of the best seat in Supercars opens up. Their first thoughts go to a Ford driver. 

It's only been two saying that, on this site at least.

Who's the best of the off-contract? Erebus, DJR, Chaz, Heimgartner all locked up. Waters even seems murky with Tim Edwards saying he's theirs.
Pye? Randle? Hazelwood? Golding? Doubt Reynolds fits the 888 ethics (as LG puts it). Waters is really their best, and almost only bet.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

SetonFan

I saw suggested that Percat could be left field suggestion - he could reunite with Andrew Edwards and be a very cheap option as a supporting driver to Feeney who will likely become the lead driver.

stevo qld

I would be amazed if Percat was under consideration at 888.

He would be better described as a "mid" field rather than "left" field driver.

I would also be surprised if Waters gets the gig, He is undoubtedly fast, but is erratic in his racecraft.

There are a few really excellent drivers in Super 2 and I would think that would be Whincup's thinking, although Golding would be a chance when considering the 888/Xiberras personnel interchanges. Remember that Xiberras actually owned 2022 888 cars and maybe 2023 cars.

Realistically, most top 10 drivers are either committed to their current team or a too old to look at a 5-year plan, or are moving down the driver's ladder, not up.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

skaifeman

Interesting take on Waters.
Was SVG not erratic when going to 888?
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

mikeamerica84

I'll think outside of the box.  Now bear in mind that this is all a domino effect IF Shane comes state-side:

How about Lowndes?  For one year.  Then use 2024 to contractually sign your next young gun to the seat.  At the end of 2024, who's contract is THEN up?

Good banter.  Glad SVG won Chicago.  Had he shunted it and went out early, this thread would be a lot more boring.  :)
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

djr18fan

Stanaway is contracted to 888. Could be an option.

Troy01505

Quote from: AlbertM on July 04, 2023, 09:55:37 PM
Quote from: Troy01505 on July 04, 2023, 07:32:45 PMWaters has probably already emailed his resume!

Is he good enough for 888 though?  ;D

It's hilarious reading the bowtie boys posts, that all the Ford drivers are just not good enough this season. Yet when the possibility of the best seat in Supercars opens up. Their first thoughts go to a Ford driver. 

Waters would be stupid not to send his resume but he would be far from my first choice, I'd rather see him team up with Chaz or DJR.

I'd prefer a rookie at Triple 8.

Percat isn't Triple 8 material, I was surprised he was signed to his current drive

stevo qld

Quote from: AlbertM on July 04, 2023, 09:55:37 PMIt's hilarious reading the bowtie boys posts, that all the Ford drivers are just not good enough this season. Yet when the possibility of the best seat in Supercars opens up. Their first thoughts go to a Ford driver. 

Well, frankly, there is not one of the current non-rookie Ford drivers that I would even consider good enough for 888 to choose. Most are old or past their best, or their best was simply not good enough.

There is some real talent out there in Super 2 and TA2 and even one of the rookies that I would consider, and possibly Golding.

Stanaway could be in the frame if he co-drives well in the enduros.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

mikeamerica84

Quote from: djr18fan on July 06, 2023, 01:11:09 PMStanaway is contracted to 888. Could be an option.
If this whole SVG-to-NASCAR thing happens, wouldn't it be amazing if Richie lands in that seat?  I can remember his issues from years back, like when he missed the drivers' autograph session and Supercars sat him down.  Chris Pither replaced him for a round. 
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

AlbertM

Quote from: stevo qld on July 06, 2023, 09:19:02 PM
Quote from: AlbertM on July 04, 2023, 09:55:37 PMIt's hilarious reading the bowtie boys posts, that all the Ford drivers are just not good enough this season. Yet when the possibility of the best seat in Supercars opens up. Their first thoughts go to a Ford driver. 

Well, frankly, there is not one of the current non-rookie Ford drivers that I would even consider good enough for 888 to choose. Most are old or past their best, or their best was simply not good enough.

You'd be passing up some good talent and experience. Mostert, Waters, Davison and De Pasquale are the only drivers to score wins other than 888 last year.
Ford Faithful

Bloopy

The great thing about Stanaway is that they get to see how fast he is in one of their cars this year.

stevo qld

Quote from: AlbertM on July 07, 2023, 08:48:41 PM
Quote from: stevo qld on July 06, 2023, 09:19:02 PM

You'd be passing up some good talent and experience. Mostert, Waters, Davison and De Pasquale are the only drivers to score wins other than 888 last year.

Seriously, we are discussing 2024, not 2022,

SVG may still stay for 2024, so the change may not be until 2025.

888 would like to find a driver who will be with them for a few years or longer.

Mostert would be a good choice, but big international drives are increasingly likely with WAU contacts.

Waters has indicated he wants to race in USA.

Davison is a driver that I rate highly, but he is approaching the end of a long fulltime career.

De Pasquale showed early promise and can still win, but I would still not rate him top of the 888 choices.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

AlbertM

I can't talk about a drivers actual experience and achievement? OK, lets use your logic.  SVG is 4th in the championship. He's washed up, past his best. Feeny doesn't have championship but won a couple of races. Clearly not good enough for 888 in 2024.

Now you've moved your goal post on Mostert and Waters. Now it's not about their age or talent. It's because of some future commitments you pulled out of your ass. But don't dare bring up what actually happened in 2022.

I thought I was biased.  8)
Ford Faithful

hsv8fan

After the 888 call today. I will suggest SVG is gone next year

stevo qld

Quote from: AlbertM on July 09, 2023, 11:11:15 AMI can't talk about a drivers actual experience and achievement? OK, lets use your logic.  SVG is 4th in the championship. He's washed up, past his best. Feeny doesn't have championship but won a couple of races. Clearly not good enough for 888 in 2024.

Now you've moved your goal post on Mostert and Waters. Now it's not about their age or talent. It's because of some future commitments you pulled out of your ass. But don't dare bring up what actually happened in 2022.

I thought I was biased.  8)

This is about a replacement for SVG, not a driver's ability contest.
ALBERT EINSTEIN