News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Silly Season 2024

Started by skaifeman, May 03, 2023, 09:09:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skaifeman

Quote from: djr18fan on April 10, 2024, 10:40:52 AM
Quote from: stevo qld on April 10, 2024, 09:54:23 AMI don't think that personal sponsorships should conflict with the team sponsorship.

e.g. Would Mostert be able to wear Boost signage and drive an Optus sponsored car?
I'd expect contracts between teams & drivers would have clauses about that. Including that if a team obtained a new sponsor that clashed with an existing personal sponsor, the team would have to buy out the personal sponsor.

That was my first thought, that Vodafone et al. joined up.
Erebus, with Kostecki back in the seat and the #1 on the door would be a pretty good cut-price (you'd think) option at the moment.

Similar thing happened to J-Dub when Red Bull came on board. Monster took him to court.

Quote from: stevo qld on April 10, 2024, 09:54:23 AMI don't think that personal sponsorships should conflict with the team sponsorship.

e.g. Would Mostert be able to wear Boost signage and drive an Optus sponsored car?

Mostert has already stated that he won't be wearing the Boost hat if winning a pole.
Reynolds the same, with sponsorship from Vodafone.

As with most of Adderton's sponsorships, the drama around it creates more brand exposure than the act of sponsorship itself. If anything, he owes Broc a beer.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

mikeamerica84

Quote from: skaifeman on April 11, 2024, 03:12:19 PMIf anything, he owes Broc a beer.
Is Broc old enough to drink?
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

muz

Kind of wild that JLB is cruising around in a helmet covered in sponsors, and BK is all black with not 1 personal sponsor.

Was Adderton at the heart of the problem in the first place? He seems the most peeved about the situation and wanted Brodie to stand up to Erebus.

I get the feeling Brodie could have been a bit of a pawn in all of this.

CP

Quote from: skaifeman on April 09, 2024, 09:27:11 AMThere's more to the story here though, he calls out Brodie and Paul Morris, not just Erebus. He's been put offside by all parties.

If it is the Dude that's had a role in it, he's pretty much killed a 30 plus year friendship considering the Morris and Adderton connection goes back to the Super Touring days.

stevo qld

There was an Adderton racing Super Tourer.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

Troy01505

Hopefully Brodie Sandbags all year.

I am sure if Morris played a part in Brodie returning it was only to save Brodie 3-4 million in damages if Erebus lawsuit was successful. Rumour has it Coke had huge money on the table when they pulled out and now Betty and co have to cover a massive short fall.

I lost all respect for Betty when she had that interview where she was claiming she is thrown under the bus all the time whilst she was constantly throwing Brodie under a bus.

stevo qld

A little whimsy.

Jamie Whincup would like to run additional Wildcards events but isn't allowed to.

I wonder if 888 could lease the car, the driver, the crew and sponsor to PremiAir (e.g.) for an extra race meeting.

QuoteSpeaking at the launch, T8 managing director Whincup admitted that he'd happily see the programme extend to even more rounds, however his understanding if that it's not allowed under the current Teams Racing Charter.

"The TRC states that we can only do a maximum three, so we're doing the maximum," he told Speedcafe.

"We'd love to do a fourth and fifth given the opportunity, but the rules don't allow it at this stage.

https://speedcafe.com/triple-eight-would-expand-wildcard-programme-if-allowed/
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

Sonic

Quote from: stevo qld on April 15, 2024, 10:04:40 PMA little whimsy.

Jamie Whincup would like to run additional Wildcards events but isn't allowed to.

I wonder if 888 could lease the car, the driver, the crew and sponsor to PremiAir (e.g.) for an extra race meeting.

QuoteSpeaking at the launch, T8 managing director Whincup admitted that he'd happily see the programme extend to even more rounds, however his understanding if that it's not allowed under the current Teams Racing Charter.

"The TRC states that we can only do a maximum three, so we're doing the maximum," he told Speedcafe.

"We'd love to do a fourth and fifth given the opportunity, but the rules don't allow it at this stage.

https://speedcafe.com/triple-eight-would-expand-wildcard-programme-if-allowed/

that could be a cool way to short-circuit the small field. have 4 teams link up and then you have an extra car on the grid for a full year.
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

skaifeman

"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

muz

Quote from: skaifeman on April 29, 2024, 02:50:13 PMThe circus continues...

https://speedcafe.com/rumours-emerge-of-potential-erebus-sale/

This is the season they should be following from inside the team.

Legitimately though, who other than Peter Adderton wants to buy a team right now?Recs could be divided potentially?

GRM - would they ever return?
Adderton? Does he come in and sack Kostecki and then build the team he always wanted?
Any Super2 folks interested in the step up?

Interesting times lie ahead.

stevo qld

I suggested, pages back, that Betty must be getting pissed off with the whole Supercars thing.

As soon as they develop drivers they seem to leave.

dePasquale, although in hindsight, they did well to get rid of him.

Brown after about six years of development, finally seemed to have come good then promptly left and is proving to be a big loss.

Kosteki has missed some races and is unlikely to win back-to-back championships and will surely move to another team such as PremiAir. If Boost do a buyout, then maybe he will stay with Adderton, but I think the 2025 deal is already done.

Betty, of course, owns only one and a half racing franchise, but having achieved the championship, she has achieved her primary aim.

The other racing franchise is half owned by Barry, according to old press releases, although he may have no shareholding in Erebus, the team.

Sponsorship probably no longer covers the bills. It must be annoying to Betty that a championship tram cannot apparently get sponsors to cover costs.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

muz

If so many drivers leave, it is more than likely not the drivers that are the issue.

djr18fan

Quote from: muz on Yesterday at 05:22:14 AMIf so many drivers leave, it is more than likely not the drivers that are the issue.
Not necessarily.  Erebus has only recently been viewed as a team likely to give a driver a chance of a championship win. Why wouldn't a driver move to team perceived as being a better bet.

muz

I agree 100% with that, drivers definitely cut and run for a better offer of success.

But the only one that truly did that in the last few years is ADP. And even then there were rumors of unhappiness.

Reynolds - left for Kelly Racing. Not a better bet at the time.

Brown - left while the team was on top.

Kostecki - left when there was nowhere else to go.

David Russell - left while the team was on top. (A bit of a stretch, but still true)

stevo qld

Sure, Drivers can leave BUT: look it from an owner's point of view.

After years of developing new talent and after 10 years spending copious amounts of personal money.

The team finally hits the top with a championship victory in 2023, yet just a few months later has to front for 2024 with one midfielder and one backmarker drivers. Sponsors who previously paid good money also walked.

If I was the owner, I would be mightily upset and want to turn off the personal money tap.
ALBERT EINSTEIN