News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Silly Season 2024

Started by skaifeman, May 03, 2023, 09:09:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SetonFan

I'm still surprised MSR picked Percat over him but yes this is the next best thing - especially with his Dane connection.

stevo qld

Quote from: SetonFan on October 07, 2023, 05:54:34 PMI'm still surprised MSR picked Percat over him but yes this is the next best thing - especially with his Dane connection.

Have a look at the NTI and Truck assist sponsorship.

https://nti.com.au/
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

muz

Quote from: SetonFan on October 07, 2023, 05:54:34 PMI'm still surprised MSR picked Percat over him but yes this is the next best thing - especially with his Dane connection.

I'm not. Across a number of teams, Pye has had pace but never delivered results.

Percat delivered in his first stint with WAU, won at LDM - also a Bathurst podium at both teams as a full time driver. Was a winner and consistent Top 10 driver at BJR and has only struggled recently at WAU.

Pye does not have the same experience unfortunately.

SetonFan

Quote from: muz on October 07, 2023, 10:46:56 PM

I'm not. Across a number of teams, Pye has had pace but never delivered results.

Percat delivered in his first stint with WAU, won at LDM - also a Bathurst podium at both teams as a full time driver. Was a winner and consistent Top 10 driver at BJR and has only struggled recently at WAU.

Pye does not have the same experience unfortunately.

Fair point - I am probably letting the dismal WAU years cloud my view too much. Hopefully for their sake he can rediscover his earlier form.

SetonFan

I don't mind having a sprint round at Bathurst, in fact I attended in 2021 and may well do so if they do it again, but this sounds like a very poor outcome. Assuming Newcastle is off and NSW must host, should be SMP under lights for Round 1 and then ideally add in QR/Winton/PI mid-year. A night race in early March should do better than August anyway without competing with AFL/NRL etc.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/10/14/plans-for-10-day-bathurst-festival-to-open-2024-supercars-season/

murph_fan51

Quote from: SetonFan on October 14, 2023, 08:02:23 PMI don't mind having a sprint round at Bathurst, in fact I attended in 2021 and may well do so if they do it again, but this sounds like a very poor outcome. Assuming Newcastle is off and NSW must host, should be SMP under lights for Round 1 and then ideally add in QR/Winton/PI mid-year. A night race in early March should do better than August anyway without competing with AFL/NRL etc.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/10/14/plans-for-10-day-bathurst-festival-to-open-2024-supercars-season/
Would be pretty cool, but organised quite late?

But they need SPRINT RACES. Nothing long. Like 10-15 laps a race type thing. No pit stops.
debris debris debris

skaifeman

Quote from: hsv8fan on October 18, 2023, 06:08:02 PMPye confirmed
https://www.supercars.com/news/pye-signs-triple-eight-enduro-contract

888 again on top of the enduro movements.
Tander aside, 888 and WAU are miles ahead of anyone else.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

Sonic

https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/10/19/breaking-2024-newcastle-500-cancelled/

Newcastle gone.

Talk of a double Bathurst. How dumb can you be? :'(

SMP under lights for round 1 and one of the many other circuits available for the extra round created.

I know Winton would love to have it back (even though it is an overpriced show and liability to the track it always is a sell out)
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

drivexby

I was never a fan of this track.  Too tight, difficult to pass on and basically it became a high speed procession.  Happy to see it go to a proper circuit.

muz

I used to live just a few minutes from the track in Newcastle. Such a mistake by the local/state government.

One of the best events I have ever been to.

billybanana

What's the old saying about politics and sport ?

mikeamerica84

Quote from: muz on October 19, 2023, 03:08:53 PMI used to live just a few minutes from the track in Newcastle. Such a mistake by the local/state government.

Viewing wise?
Race wise?
Atmosphere/party wise?
Close to home wise?

Put 'em in order, muz.   ;D

I know I liked watching it on TV.  Looked very scenic unlike the Detroit IndyCar street race this year.  Someone said it looked like they were racing between warehouses and prisons.
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

Sonic

Quote from: mikeamerica84 on October 19, 2023, 11:07:56 PM
Quote from: muz on October 19, 2023, 03:08:53 PMI used to live just a few minutes from the track in Newcastle. Such a mistake by the local/state government.

Viewing wise?
Race wise?
Atmosphere/party wise?
Close to home wise?

Put 'em in order, muz.   ;D

I know I liked watching it on TV.  Looked very scenic unlike the Detroit IndyCar street race this year.  Someone said it looked like they were racing between warehouses and prisons.

viewing wise.... there is NO view on a street circuit (unless you're in a stand and then it's like watching tennis anyway)
race wise... occasionally... but so much damage is it really worth it?
atmosphere/party wise... they usually do get this right... even the 1000 these days is more about catching up with mates for me than what is on track... but isn't it supposed to be a motor race?
close to home wise... Melb F1 is my closest street race... and it is further than Sandown so it's a nope for me... plus getting in and out is a pain in the ^&*(!!!

:)
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!