News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Townsville Round 1 with Spoliers

Started by Sonic, July 09, 2021, 08:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iggle Piggle

Quote from: djr18fan on July 12, 2021, 04:27:44 AM
Quote from: hsv8fan on July 11, 2021, 07:33:48 PM
Quote from: LG on July 11, 2021, 01:11:39 PM
Quote from: djr18fan on July 11, 2021, 06:52:35 AM
Quote from: LG on July 11, 2021, 02:46:19 AM
Quote from: hsv8fan on July 10, 2021, 10:52:07 PM
I don't know why Supercars just don't go drag racing!
There is complete lack of regard for track design with nearly full car width off the track jumping kerbs and running wide of corners

I hear you on that one.

I disagree. The kerbs are designed for the cars to run over. The rule is that 2 wheels must be on the track side of the kerb (effectively. The rule may worded differently) the other 2 wheels can be wherever they like. Same when a painted line is the track limit.
It doesn't matter where the cars are positioned as long as it's the same for everyone.
The rule could be changed to require all 4 wheels to remain inside kerbs - reducing the spectacle and slowing the cars. Or the rule not changed and the corners tightened - slowing the cars. Or the rule changed and the corners opened up - Reducing the spectacle without reducing speed.
Using the kerbs also adds a challenge and options for teams in suspension settings.

Bottom line - the drivers aren't cheating. The corners are designed to be cut.

I hear you  but my problem is I'm old school. A track is designed and built to be raced on.
If you go off the track then you're off the track.
Adding a bit here and there where drivers go off because they are trying too hard or going too fast is not solving a problem.
It's simply giving in.
We hear this phrase about driving every day, 'Drive to the conditions.'
Don't go faster and expect the powers that be to change the track for you.
Find a way of going round the track without going off it.

Spot on LG,  My point exactly

The kerbs are part of the track. They are designed to be driven on. Cars are not going off the track when 2 wheels go over them. Same applies to other sealed areas.

One of the reasons I prefer watching tin-tops is the fact they can climb the kerbs.  Watching them through Senna Chicane at Adelaide (RIP), the chicane at Gold Coast, the 2 switch-backs at Townsville, etc.  It adds another element to set-up/engineering and driver skill, and also adds a further risk of mechanical failure given the cars have become far too reliable these days.

Zac

Quote from: skaifeman on July 12, 2021, 08:56:21 AM
Quote from: Trevor on July 12, 2021, 07:09:26 AM
I haven't watched the races or seen the results, but by reading this I don't think I will waste my time with ether

There was good racing between positions 1-2, and good racing between positions 3-24. Just a gap in-between.
Don't waste your time, Trev. You wouldn't enjoy it.

If you like racing, it wasn't a bad race at all. Plenty going on and much to like, but for those whose enjoyment of racing begins and ends with their chosen brand/team/driver doing well, then if it wasn't your brand/team/driver leading, then - BORING.  It's funny that from the end of last season to the start of this one, I've seen various journos, drivers and 'experts' predicting how this season would pan out, and the overwhelming view was that it was SVG's and 888's to lose. That's not happening yet and the very predictable is happening. It can still turn around, but from what I've seen, if racing with a broken shoulder and broken ribs made SVG even more competitive, then it's not that likely. So, now it's the parity thing again (which was fairly quiet the past year or so), the usual conspiracy theories that V8 Supercars is a Dane conspiracy, "Skaife and Foxtel are sooo biased I won't ever watch again", and the rest of it. Personally, as long as the racing is good, I'll be there. I couldn't give a toss about which shape of car representing a US car company happens to be doing better. I'm more interested in teams and drivers in this category where 'parity' rules and the brands really don't matter to me. I'll leave the stuff about a small vent in an inner guard to match the small vent in the other brand's inner guard to those who are into the idea that it gives one brand a "massive" advantage. There's plenty to criticise about the specs and rules in every category of motorsport, and Supercars is no different, but just because a team reaches a period of domination, there's no need to carry on about never watching again and the rest of it. In my (well over) 60 years of being around many categories of motorsport, I've seen many periods of domination - and this isn't even close to a period of domination. SVG and 888 are having a pretty good year - so far. 

Meanwhile, the rules about track limits, white lines, kerbs, etc are pretty clearly defined. It's the same for everybody. Some do better under the rules than others. Moving on... 

djr18fan

Quote from: Troy01505 on July 10, 2021, 06:28:06 PM

Wonder if the bulging tank is why Gizzy was 3 tenths up?

Given the lack of discussion about racing, may as well promote a conspiracy!

If the refuelling cells are bloated, could the fuel tanks in the cars also be bloating resulting on a lower centre of gravity?

jd

"It's exactly the same," said Burgess.

"It hasn't changed from this year to last year. Dimensionally, the one we calibrated has been exactly the same for three years.

"We checked it at Bathurst and we've checked the measurements on it this weekend. It's the same."

So the tanks have been bloated for 3 years otherwise any dimension measurements could not be the same. I guess there is a formula to dimensionally measure a bloated tank but surely he meant to say volumetrically.

"Burgess said Supercars might "tighten up" its process for the next event to ensure teams are confident each tank is identical."

Why, if they are apparently ok ?

The process is 888 need to obtain new tanks to ensure the process is the same.

Bloopy

They showed this closeup of Davison's tank on the footage. Supercars has clearly placed their calibrated mark slightly lower than the 140 on the sight glass, so surely that means any bulge is taken into account, whether slight or significant:

jd

DJR amended the markers position to make sure they don't screw up again like they did on Day 1 when Davison was accidently short filled against the previous markers position and he gave up a potential podium to get 1 freaking litre put in his tank.

Bloopy

Common sense says that the sticker with the Supercars logo is placed by Supercars and the teams aren't allowed to move it. The fact that they filled Davison to well below that Supercars marker is irrelevant of where it's placed.

jd

Mate, you are getting confused. 

"They showed this closeup of Davison's tank on the footage. Supercars has clearly placed their calibrated mark slightly lower than the 140 on the sight glass, so surely that means any bulge is taken into account, whether slight or significant:"

There is no bulge in DJR's tanks and Davisons marker position has nothing to do with taking into account any bulges like 888's.

DJR had the tank marker moved to now be at 141 litres so they now have a 1 litre safety margin to avoid short filling Davo again. Nothing whatsoever to do with bulges as you inferred above.  I seem to recall Larko even showed this adjustment and made mention of DJR now not taking anymore chances. 

Bloopy

The black thing in the middle of the site gauge at the 144L mark is where they've filled Davison to. Larko put his finger on it to indicate that. So DJR has gone for a safety margin of 4L, not 1L.

I didn't intend to discuss anything to do with Davison. Unfortunately the T8 gauges on the coverage weren't really readable. My point was that if the tank has a bulge the sticker would just be placed at a different height to account for that, no problem.

jd

Mate, I know what you are trying to say but you're still confusing your point :D

""They showed this closeup of Davison's tank on the footage. Supercars has clearly placed their calibrated mark slightly lower than the 140 on the sight glass, so surely that means any bulge is taken into account, whether slight or significant:"

No it does not as you are saying that Supercars have put DJR's marker slightly lower to take into account a bulge when they don't have one so it has nothing to do with a possible bulge. Bulges are 888's forte'.   That is DJR's 1lt safety margin.  What they actually decided to put in at his last stop is irrelevant.