News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Bathurst shift

Started by fordman, July 30, 2021, 08:13:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevo qld

Quote from: fordman on July 30, 2021, 08:13:34 AM
Looks like covid strikes again new date 4th to 7th November for the great race. Probably a good call but it will be HOT

I went back to the OP.

It appears as a rumour without any reference provided.

Did Supercars actually announce those dates?????  It doesn't say.

Most of the comments are based on previous comments and not the OP.

Supercars is certainly copping a lot of flack but, in this case, do they deserve it???

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

fordman

Quote from: stevo qld on August 13, 2021, 12:21:28 AM
Quote from: fordman on July 30, 2021, 08:13:34 AM
Looks like covid strikes again new date 4th to 7th November for the great race. Probably a good call but it will be HOT

I went back to the OP.

It appears as a rumour without any reference provided.

Did Supercars actually announce those dates?????  It doesn't say.

Most of the comments are based on previous comments and not the OP.

Supercars is certainly copping a lot of flack but, in this case, do they deserve it???

Well as the author or the post the info I went of was my e-mail from Ticketec telling me the event has been moved to those dates. Doubt Ticketec made the actual call eh, and given SC haven't actually denied the change and other outlets have reported on it.

The heat SC are copping [here anyway] seems to be about the clash of dates with the other event and contracts etc NOT about the date change or reason for it. Agree though if SC just went ahead without any consultation looks bad.

But point maybe mute if Covid stops BOTH events.

Sonic

philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

jd

That's an out of date presumption as according to a report in our todays paper the sh#t fight is heading to mediation to try and come up with a resolution to allow the Bathurst race to go ahead on Nov 7.

The promotor of Bathurst Challenge, Greg Evans, holds a contract for both weekends.  Seems he initially agreed to $100k compensation but then refused.

Government intervention now has all parties back to the table.

Kytabu

An agreement has been reached:
https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/08/13/confirmed-bathurst-1000-to-keep-november-date/

Covid still poses a large obstacle with the spread continuing out west and numbers not looking like they will go down any time soon.
"I just plucked her in first, gave it some jandal, f**k yeah!"

fordman

Quote from: Kytabu on August 13, 2021, 04:38:55 PM
An agreement has been reached:
https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/08/13/confirmed-bathurst-1000-to-keep-november-date/

Covid still poses a large obstacle with the spread continuing out west and numbers not looking like they will go down any time soon.

good to see, but agree covid will play a role, I feel at the rate we are vaxing Bathurst maybe a month too early

WarrenK

Why is the focus on vaxinations and lockdowns. NSW will still be a red zone in November and Qld and Vic will still block movement out of NSW into these states without quarintining.  What team will go to NSW knowingly well they will have to be in hotel quarintine(at $3000 per person for 2 weeks when they move to other states.  Remember these teams are not football teams with all their privileges.

fordman

Quote from: WarrenK on August 13, 2021, 06:15:20 PM
Why is the focus on vaxinations and lockdowns. NSW will still be a red zone in November and Qld and Vic will still block movement out of NSW into these states without quarintining.  What team will go to NSW knowingly well they will have to be in hotel quarintine(at $3000 per person for 2 weeks when they move to other states.  Remember these teams are not football teams with all their privileges.

SC must hold up some hope otherwise they will make a call and move/cancel the event. if we get to 80% there wont be any red zones or lockdowns or Quarantining etc that's the ultimate aim, I feel we will get there soon but feel not soon enough for Bathurst.

AlbertM

Numbers look good for November but it will depend if there're large case numbers around despite vaccinations. We'll have better idea how the season pans out in 7 weeks. If SE Qld is still a red zone to Vic come Winton, teams will not be allowed in to Vic.
Ford Faithful

Sonic

Quote from: fordman on August 13, 2021, 07:13:10 PM

SC must hold up some hope otherwise they will make a call and move/cancel the event. if we get to 80% there wont be any red zones or lockdowns or Quarantining etc that's the ultimate aim, I feel we will get there soon but feel not soon enough for Bathurst.

if they REALLY want to Bathurst 1000 can still go ahead easy enough at less cost than that. SC has the funds to bring a whole bunch of portable housing inside the campgrounds to be able to make life comfortable for the teams at a shared cost. all amenities are already there for hygiene etc.

they could drop it to a 3 day event with just the SC category running if it comes down to that choice so they can still run the event.

what will be harder though is that they would also have to supply/provide 2 weeks accom for all of the flaggies/service/administration/tv crews... and that is where the $$ figures are really going to start to rise.
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

fordman

Quote from: Sonic on August 14, 2021, 05:04:02 PM

if they REALLY want to Bathurst 1000 can still go ahead easy enough at less cost than that. SC has the funds to bring a whole bunch of portable housing inside the campgrounds to be able to make life comfortable for the teams at a shared cost. all amenities are already there for hygiene etc.

they could drop it to a 3 day event with just the SC category running if it comes down to that choice so they can still run the event.

what will be harder though is that they would also have to supply/provide 2 weeks accom for all of the flaggies/service/administration/tv crews... and that is where the $$ figures are really going to start to rise.

still think a vaccine passport system could work for spectators, may only get NSW ppl but thats all they got last year.

Last years event wasn't all that bad really the no lunch break allowed more tarck time so there was something going on all day. Yep may struggle to get support classes, but they cobbled together a couple of classes last year. Might be a opportunity for some cars to get a rn that may not usually??? who cares if the classes are mixed as long as cars go around eh

AlbertM

I'm guessing about around 500 personnel minimum to pull off the 1000? Without support races, they could even pack the event into two days.

I have a feeling these 'passports' will only be for interstate travel/transport and not for large public events, if community cases are still high with 80% vaccination.
Ford Faithful

Trevor

all of NSW locked down now - would have been better to do this 6 weeks ago - ahhh well

skaifeman

Quote from: Sonic on August 14, 2021, 05:04:02 PM

My suggestion back on page 3.
If there's one event on the calendar that can get away with being TV only, it's Bathurst.

Tough on all interstate personnel, 2 weeks in NSW, then 2 weeks at their respective home state.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

AlbertM

They will only need to isolate for 14 days in NSW if QLD and VIC are still "areas of concern" in November. If those states are still battling local cases by then, you can bet the race won't go ahead.
Ford Faithful