News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

F1 2022 season

Started by stevo qld, September 03, 2021, 08:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevo qld

With Kimi gone, it is presumed by many that Bottas will take the Alfa seat on a two year deal.

I wonder if Mercedes try to keep him in the fold.

The Williams seat with cashed up new owners and the Mercedes engine could be a good two year deal.

The seat currently occupied by Vettel at Aston Martin could become available if (a) Vettel retires or (b) Vettel returns to the Ferrari fold at Alfa. He certainly hasn't done all that well at Aston Martin. A change may be good for him and we shouldn't forget that a lot of surplus Ferrari staff (salary cap) have suddenly diverted to Haas but still based at Ferrari precinct. These are people that Vettel knows and has worked with, so a Ferrari "B" team???

All three teams could be good seats with the salary cap bringing the top current teams closer. All three have owners determined to improve and each needs a good experienced driver in the main slot.

Mercedes clearly know the answers but are keeping quiet at this time, possible so as not to take the shine off their customer team announcements.

There are a few other seats up for grabs but only for newcomers and minor players.  A few current drivers may be looking at another category if they wish to keep racing,

We should know soon.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

mikeamerica84

Now that we are on the subject of 2022, here is something that I thought was dead and done for the locals and the local board were totally against it but the mayor was for it and had the power to override.  The F1 GP circuit in Miami:

https://racer.com/2021/09/02/miami-f1-circuit-to-be-called-miami-international-autodrome/

Miami F1 circuit to be called Miami International Autodrome
By Chris Medland | September 2, 2021 9:27 AM ET

The organizers of the Miami Grand Prix have announced the official name of the track will be the "Miami International Autodrome."

Miami will join the Formula 1 calendar in May next year, ensuring there are two grands prix in America alongside Circuit of The Americas in Austin. The track around Hard Rock Stadium had yet to be given a specific name but that has now been confirmed as preparations continue for its debut in 2022.

"I'm happy to reveal that the official name of our circuit is the Miami International Autodrome," said Tom Garfinkel, managing partner of the F1 Miami Grand Prix. "We've worked hard to create a circuit that has great racing and multiple passing opportunities.

"In addition, we are working to innovate fan experiences across the Hard Rock Stadium sports and entertainment campus in Miami Gardens; experiences that reflect how Miami has become an international curator of culture across food, art, fashion, music, and sports."

Despite Miami becoming the second F1 race in the United States, there is no shortage of appetite in terms of ticket requests, with Miami Grand Prix CEO Richard Cregan giving more details about the wide reach of the interest.

"Already we are beyond 150,000 enquiries for tickets and hospitality, which is enormously encouraging when we have not yet announced the date of our inaugural Miami Grand Prix," Cregan said.

"Almost one third of those enquiries have been from corporate bookers looking to access the world class hospitality for which all events at the Hard Rock Stadium campus are renowned, and 25 percent of all enquiries to date have come from overseas.

"As we roll out more of the detailed planning work that is being invested into the experience, and the levels of personalization on offer, we are sure that the Miami International Autodrome will be a focal point for fans from around the world."
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

stevo qld

Referring to my OP, I wonder if the 2022 Alfa Team or Haas could have Sebastian Vettel and Mick Schumacher as their drivers.
It would be a great pairing with both having strong Ferrari ties and both effectively a "B" or "C' Ferrari Teams.

It would certainly free up a seat for a Mercedes driver in the Mercedes "B" or "C" Teams..

Both Aston Martin and Williams both have relatively new owners and both are well cashed up to provide improved cars in the 20-22 and 2023 era, with it's reduced expenditure cap.

IMHO, Bottas would do well in either team, but a two year contract at Williams would be my choice.

The Driver potential changes are, again IMHO, much more interesting than than actual races.

We await Toto's pronouncements and the teams individual announcements/

QuoteHow 'mentor' Vettel is giving back to the Schumacher family
PRIME
FORMULA 1 SPECIAL FEATURE
How 'mentor' Vettel is giving back to the Schumacher family
By:
GP Racing
Sep 3, 2021, 11:29 PM
Mick Schumacher isn't the only 'son of' to reach F1, but he's done so in the absence of his father in recent years. Step forward Sebastian Vettel: a fan of Michael growing up, mentored by him, and now acting as 'big brother' to Mick. Oleg Karpov explains the four-time world champion's role in settling Schumacher Jr into the big leagues.

"I still am a Michael fan," said Sebastian Vettel after it was announced at the end of last year that the seven-time world champion's son, Mick Schumacher, was joining the Formula 1 grid. "I'm happy to help where I can, because he [Mick] is a great guy and obviously I have a very special connection to his father.

"I think it's very important for him to find his own path. But surely, as much as it helped when Michael had some things to say when I asked, and gave me advice, I'm trying to do the same to him.

https://au.motorsport.com/f1/news/how-mentor-vettel-is-giving-back-to-the-schumacher-family/6659401/
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

Kytabu

Bottas confirmed at Alfa Romeo for 2022:
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/bottas-to-drive-for-alfa-romeo-f1-team-in-2022/6661654/

Only a matter of time until George is confirmed at Mercedes, then. 2022 will be an interesting year for the team!
"I just plucked her in first, gave it some jandal, f**k yeah!"

skaifeman

Quote from: Kytabu on September 07, 2021, 09:31:15 AM
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/bottas-to-drive-for-alfa-romeo-f1-team-in-2022/6661654/

Only a matter of time until George is confirmed at Mercedes, then. 2022 will be an interesting year for the team!

Great move for the whole sport. Get to see what George can do, if he truly can challenge Lewis.
We also get to see if Bottas still has it - the jury has certainly been out. A move to a mid-pack team is probably the breath of fresh air he needs.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

Sonic

Quote from: skaifeman on September 07, 2021, 03:21:22 PM

Great move for the whole sport. Get to see what George can do, if he truly can challenge Lewis.
We also get to see if Bottas still has it - the jury has certainly been out. A move to a mid-pack team is probably the breath of fresh air he needs.

And we will see if Merc is prepared to let him race or if he is going to be made LH's pet boy
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

skaifeman

Quote from: Sonic on September 07, 2021, 03:58:48 PM

And we will see if Merc is prepared to let him race or if he is going to be made LH's pet boy

I'd think the fact they're bringing George up means they'd race. Otherwise you'd just leave Bottas there? Hope so anyway.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

Sonic

Quote from: skaifeman on September 07, 2021, 04:29:38 PM
Quote from: Sonic on September 07, 2021, 03:58:48 PM

I'd think the fact they're bringing George up means they'd race. Otherwise you'd just leave Bottas there? Hope so anyway.

Hope so Sman... and if not I hope GR just goes out and whoops his ass and then moves to another team with the number 1!
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

skaifeman

stp01

Well deserved for Russell!
Triple Eight and Holden
2022 Supercars Drivers Champion
2022 Supercars Teams Champion
2022 Supercars Manufacturers Champion
2022 Super2 Drivers Champion

stevo qld

I have  seen a report recently that Michael Andretti is interested in F!.

There seems to be a general assumption that HAAS is the most likely seller.

However, with the recent death of a significant McLaren shareholder, I wonder who owns it now.

Could Andretti be looking at McLaren, a team he previously raced for?
ALBERT EINSTEIN

mikeamerica84

Inaugural Miami GP race date confirmed

By Chris Medland | September 23, 2021 9:27 AM ET

Formula 1's first Miami Grand Prix will take place on the weekend of May 6-8, 2022, the race organizers have announced.

Formula 1 has yet to release its 2022 calendar, with a schedule expected to be revealed in the middle of next month at the same time it is submitted to the FIA World Motor Sport Council. However, the race in Miami had already been confirmed as being held in May and a firm date has been allowed to be published in order to allow more concrete preparations to be made.

"We've worked hard to create a track with great racing and a venue with unparalleled fan experiences," Miami Grand Prix managing partner Tom Garfinkel said. "There has been tremendous enthusiasm and anticipation for this event, and we're happy to be able to announce the date so that people can start planning for it."

Construction of the circuit at Hard Rock Stadium is ongoing despite the start of the NFL season, and Miami Grand Prix CEO Richard Cregan says there will be further announcements regarding the event in the coming weeks.

"There is no doubt in my mind that the Formula 1 community and the sport's fanbase worldwide are going to be amazed by what they see next May," Cregan said.

"The circuit construction is progressing in line with expectations, and now that we have our date confirmed with Formula 1, we can rapidly follow up with revealing more of the detail of the experience that will be enjoyed at the trackside which will make this a truly stand-out addition to the calendar.

"This location is already well known for creating unforgettable experiences for events like the Super Bowl and Miami Open. We look forward to embracing an entirely new global sporting occasion."

https://racer.com/2021/09/23/inaugural-miami-gp-race-date-confirmed/

mikeamerica84

Haas retains Mazepin and Schumacher for 2022

By Chris Medland | September 23, 2021 8:56 AM ET

Haas has confirmed it will retain an unchanged driver line-up of Nikita Mazepin and Mick Schumacher for the 2022 season.

The two rookies were brought in over the winter, replacing the experienced pairing of Romain Grosjean and Kevin Magnussen. As Haas was prioritizing next season's new regulations, this year was seen as a learning campaign for Mazepin and Schumacher, and while they have had a number of run-ins they will remain with the team in 2022 to build on their experience.

"We knew we wanted continuity behind the wheel in 2022 and I'm happy to confirm exactly that with Mick Schumacher and Nikita Mazepin competing for Uralkali Haas F1 Team next year," team principal Guenther Steiner said. "2021 has afforded both drivers the opportunity to learn Formula 1 — and as rookies — they've done a lot of that this year.

"It's been a tough season for sure with the package we've had, but at the same time they've both embraced the challenge and worked closely with the team to learn our processes and adapt to the rigors of a Formula 1 campaign and all that brings — both internally and externally.

"Now as we look ahead to the 2022 season, we're confident we can move forward as a team and give Mick and Nikita a competitive race package to make the next step in their Formula 1 careers."

Ferrari-backed Schumacher currently holds the team's best result of 12th this season, and is confident he will be driving more competitive machinery next year.

"By being part of the Formula 1 field, I am living my dream," Schumacher said. "The first year together with Haas F1 is very exciting and instructive, and I'm sure I can bring all the experience I've gained into the coming year.

"New technical regulations, the impressive ambition of the entire Haas F1 team and the support of Ferrari — of course I believe this will bring us closer to the field in the 2022 season and we will be able to fight for points. I'm looking forward to being part of a team that is getting stronger, and I'll do everything I can from my side to move us forward.

"Finally, I would like to thank the Ferrari Driver Academy for the trust they continue to give me and the support they have shown me over the years."

The announcement comes at the start of Mazepin's first home grand prix in Russia, and he adds he is keen to continue his development with Haas into a second season.

"I'm very excited for next year, the new car and simply just to get the opportunity with Haas F1 Team and grow together with them," Mazepin said. "I think we will come out strong next year."

https://racer.com/2021/09/23/haas-retains-mazepin-and-schumacher-for-2022/

stevo qld

Quote from: stevo qld on September 24, 2021, 11:17:29 AM
I have  seen a report recently that Michael Andretti is interested in F!.

There seems to be a general assumption that HAAS is the most likely seller.

However, with the recent death of a significant McLaren shareholder, I wonder who owns it now.

Could Andretti be looking at McLaren, a team he previously raced for?

I have done a bit of Googling and come up with this. i don't know what changes were made in the meantime.

QuoteWho are the major shareholders of McLaren Group?
As of February 2019, the Bahrain royal family's Mumtalakat investment company owns 56% of McLaren Group, Mansour Ojjeh (TAG Group) owns 14%, Michael Latifi owns 10% and minor shareholders owning the rest.

However, if correct, there might be a majority stake swinging in the wind.

QuoteMcLaren has announced that Mansour Ojjeh, a shareholder of the team since 1984, has passed away at the age of 68.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/mclaren-announce-death-mansour-ojjeh/
ALBERT EINSTEIN

stevo qld

It is reported that the VW group has purchased the McLaren group via Audi.

If so, it probably won't affect 2022 as much as it will when the new engine rules kick in.

The report has been denied, but I would like to see it eventuate.

Quotemotor1.com
Audi Is Buying The Entire McLaren Group: Report
Adrian Padeanu 11 hrs ago

McLaren apparently refused the initial offer, but Audi came back with a better deal and the two parties reached an agreement.
Our lazy Sunday was interrupted when Automotive News' sister site Automobilwoche published an article in which it claimed McLaren would be sold and split into two. According to the German magazine's report, the plan consisted of BMW buying the road car division, with Audi purchasing the motorsport branch to take control of the Formula 1 team.

However, a BMW spokesperson was quick to refute that rumor in an interview with Bloomberg, while an Audi representative only said the Ingolstadt-based marque "routinely considers various ideas for cooperation" as part of its "strategic deliberations." There still could be some truth in the original reporting from Automobilwoche as Autocar claims Audi is buying the entire McLaren Group.

For those unfamiliar with the corporate side of McLaren, Mumtalakat owns 62.55 percent of the shares, meaning it effectively controls the supercar brand and the increasingly competitive F1 team. According to the official website, the Bahrain Mumtalakat Holding Company represents the sovereign wealth fund of the government of the Kingdom of Bahrain.

Autocar reports the first offer made by the Volkswagen Group through the Four Rings was refused as the board of directors and McLaren executive chairman Paul Walsh wanted double the amount. The two parties eventually reached an understanding, and the unspecified source mentioned by the British magazine says McLaren will indeed be changing hands soon.

Provided the deal is actually happening, it will pave the way for the VW Group to enter F1 following a lengthy period of discussions for a potential 2026 entry when the engine will be overhauled once again. Perhaps more interesting is how the road-going side of McLaren will be positioned within the family seeing as how the hierarchy is already quite complicated what with Porsche, Lamborghini, and the newly formed Bugatti Rimac.

Source: Autocar

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/other/audi-is-buying-the-entire-mclaren-group-report/ar-AAQIK8u?ocid=msedgntp

QuoteMcLaren rejects Audi sale reports
Mat Coch
By Mat Coch

Tuesday 16th November, 2021 - 2:26am
McLaren has issued a statement rejecting claims McLaren Group has been sold to Audi.

Autocar reported that the German automaker had purchased the McLaren Group, thereby paving the way for its entry into Formula 1.

That has been swiftly denied by McLaren, which issued a terse rebuttal.

"McLaren Group is aware of a news media report stating it has been sold to Audi," the statement began.

"This is wholly inaccurate and McLaren is seeking to have the story removed.

"McLaren's technology strategy has always involved ongoing discussions and collaboration with relevant partners and suppliers, including other carmakers, however, there has been no change in the ownership structure of the McLaren Group."

McLaren Group is the overarching company which encompasses McLaren Racing and McLaren Automotive.

It previously also included McLaren Applied, though that business was sold to Greybull Capital in August.

Zak Brown is CEO of McLaren Group, with Paul Walsh Chairman, while Andreas Seidl heads up its Formula 1 operation.

After cashflow issues last year as COVID-19 hit, both McLaren Racing and McLaren Automotive have since secured additional funding and are in healthy financial positions.

Recently, McLaren Racing has expanded its portfolio with an increased stake in IndyCar and an all-new Extreme E team.

It is also exploring potential entries into Formula E and the World Endurance Championship, the latter for which it has expressed the need for an engine partner.

Fundamentally, those additional programmes are designed to increase the commercial desirability of the F1 squad by affording sponsors access to a range of other platforms and markets.

McLaren Racing also has a number of key infrastructure projects in flight, including a new wind tunnel and simulator, both of which are yet to come online.

The Volkswagen Audi Group has long been linked with a move into Formula 1, with both Audi and Porsche having been present for discussions regarding its future power unit regulations in recent months.

Purchasing an existing team is the easiest path into the sport, as a $200 million anti-dilution fee is payable for any newcomer wishing to join the grid on top of any requirement to stand up an operation.

However, the appetite for existing teams to sell is low, as seen by Michael Andretti in recent weeks, as the benefits of the sport's new financial regulations are seen.

A cost cap introduced this year has offered a degree of certainty when it comes to expenditure, increasing market confidence in the sport and beginning to drive up the value of teams.

It's predicted that will see a team's value rise from hundreds of millions, into the billion-dollar range in coming seasons.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/11/16/mclaren-rejects-audi-sale-reports/
ALBERT EINSTEIN