News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Covid’s affect on 2022

Started by skaifeman, January 07, 2022, 08:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skaifeman

Forget having to potentially reschedule events, I see drivers having to spend a weekend watching the action.

If professional sports around the world (F1, NBA, NFL even the Cricket on these shores) is anything to go by, now that the rules have been relaxed, the chance of someone missing a round is BIG and would play a massive role in the Championship.

The easiest way to get around this would be for the 'drop your worst round' rule to return, which I wouldn't be against if drivers start dropping like flies.

This is something that should be on Supercars radar.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

Kytabu

It has surprised me to not see more cases in the F1 paddock, though it is a credit to the travelling bubble setup they have created. It isn't perfect, but I think it would be a good model for Supercars to use while travelling around the country.

The way the BBL has gone in the last couple of weeks is crazy.
"I just plucked her in first, gave it some jandal, f**k yeah!"

SetonFan

The 'drop your worst round' rule was already implemented and ready to go (if needed) for 2020 and 2021

https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/02/06/supercars-retains-drop-round-rule-for-2021/

mikeamerica84

Funny you mention this, skaifey.  Stewart-Haas in NASCAR has just pulled in Ryan Preece to be a "reserve driver" in the event COVID takes one of their primary drivers out.  Already looking ahead is always a good idea.  I am just kind of surprised this announcement was made and not just kept behind closed doors.

https://racer.com/2022/01/06/stewart-haas-adds-preece-as-reserve-driver/
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

REM

You can be re-infected, the timeframes are unclear.....but have seen one person say after 4 weeks, others say 6 months- so it may need to be drop your worst "rounds" ;)

Joe5619

O the serenity!!!!  When will this covid **** end?

It's going to be an interesting year all round.. At this stage, at least the teams can travel around the country without problem, so should make it easier for Supercars this year you would thing.

Maybe we can do a poll on who will get it first? My money is on David Reynolds!

Sonic

simple solution!

make all events 'practice rounds' and Bathurst is a winner takes all championship race :)
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

skaifeman

Quote from: SetonFan on January 08, 2022, 01:08:39 AM
The 'drop your worst round' rule was already implemented and ready to go (if needed) for 2020 and 2021

https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/02/06/supercars-retains-drop-round-rule-for-2021/

Good to see they're already on top of this.
I obviously missed the memo!
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

mikeamerica84

I never liked the dropping round rule.  No mulligans.  You show up and race or you do not. 

I would rather have a sub driver rule.  Let's say Frosty cannot make it.  Put Dale Wood in the 18 car for said round and Frosty still gets the points.  Allow a sub for one round only.  After that..... sorry.  Lost points.

murph_fan51

Not just drivers, but what happens if a whole team is affected?
debris debris debris

LG

Quote from: Joe5619 on January 08, 2022, 10:23:23 AM

It's going to be an interesting year all round.. At this stage, at least the teams can travel around the country without problem, so should make it easier for Supercars this year you would thing.

Will Davo already has it...

skaifeman

Quote from: LG on January 08, 2022, 03:05:47 PM
Quote from: Joe5619 on January 08, 2022, 10:23:23 AM

Will Davo already has it...

Davo bloody beat me to the topic! ;D
Hope he recovers well.

mikeamerica84

Quote from: murph_fan51 on January 08, 2022, 12:50:04 PM
Not just drivers, but what happens if a whole team is affected?
Yeah.  Good point - thinking on a more broader scale.  I guess they'll just have to play short handed?  A whole team out is a forfeit?  But now you are getting the sponsors involved with a loss of exposure.

fordman

Lets hope SC have some sort of plan in hand?

with so many possible scenarios its gunna be very hard to get the perfect plan ready eh.

Anyone want the job?

Sonic

with the way nsw and vic are feeling like they are starting to get back into lockdowns gotta wonder how 2022 will pan out for any interstate/international sports. the 12 hour doesn't feel like it will happen which would also have to call into question the Newcastle event a week later.

hopefully they get it all sorted to make it happen.
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!