News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

ALP v LP/NP

Started by Trevor, May 13, 2021, 04:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonic

I was wondering if Lab would take a hit (in Vic at least) because of Andrews being on the nose? Does kind of have me on edge that DA might get back in :'(
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

Trevor

the experts are saying there was next to nil impact on Labors vote in Victoria - I guess that shoots all the nay-sayers in the arse

And W.A. who had big time lockdowns, well Labor white-washed over there

And QLD gone Green, not Yellow hahahahahahaha
I am sick of nit-pickers, looking for mischief where there is none

PHARK IT!!!!!

AlbertM

It was in NSW Labor screwed up. Blowing a 14% margin in Fowler.

2 seats in Qld for the Greens. Something not achieved in the most left wing hippie commune that is Melbourne.
Ford Faithful

Ospif1

Quote from: Sonic on May 22, 2022, 05:23:08 PM
I was wondering if Lab would take a hit (in Vic at least) because of Andrews being on the nose? Does kind of have me on edge that DA might get back in :'(
Or perhaps as usual, the Murdoch owned media made it appear like Andrews was widely disliked when the reality was quite different. 

LG

Quote from: Trevor on May 22, 2022, 05:33:37 PM
the experts are saying there was next to nil impact on Labors vote in Victoria - I guess that shoots all the nay-sayers in the arse

And W.A. who had big time lockdowns, well Labor white-washed over there

And QLD gone Green, not Yellow hahahahahahaha

Brisbane has gone green...

stevo qld

I wonder if the Greens in Queensland have done well because of the wet feet syndrome.

They are in flooding areas and there have been floods in Brisbane again this last week.

Apparently there have been a lot of concerns about aircraft noise in Bulimba, but, of course, that could not be so because Kevin Rudd (alias "Rudd the dud" promised that he would fix it if he was elected and as P.M. he would surely have kept his promise.

The seats that went green are flood suburbs, in the main. The overall Queensland green vote in the Senate was much less.

As for the South, i suspect the Liberals copped the anti-Barnaby/NP kickback, because they had no one else to kick.

As there is no longer a Coalition in Government, The Libs and NP should separate and both sit as opposition parties. It would be interesting to see if the Liberals revert to their principles without the shackles of the NP. The fly in the ointment is that they are combined in Qld as the LNP.

Regardless, Albo is the 31st PM and we should wish him well and Pause this thread for another two years

The people have spoken. 8).

PS: Just an additional note that Brisbane electorate has the highest number of under 30 voters of any seat in Australia.

Bulimba (Griffith) has had heaps of units built since the last election and many are occupied by young people using the ferry to the CBD, when it is running and there aren't floods and Coorparoo(Griffith) and similar areas are inundated with new, relatively cheap units (Median under $400,000) and are close to the CBD.

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

meha

Well the election wash up is starting to happen. It was to be honest rather unsurprising that Morrision lost the election. The approach that he had taken appeared to put off a lot of voters in the urban seats that have traditionally been the liberal heartland. The result in WA frankly was a bloodbath. The swing to the independents to me was not as big of a surprise as some were saying. I personally think that it was a case of people not voting for Morrison like last time but being unwilling to vote Labour. I can see it being very interesting long term if this trend continues in that I can see both parties having to govern from minority and doing agreements with the minor parties.

There are real issues within the Conservative slant of things between the Liberal's and the National parties. The Nationals have in my opinion gone to far to get voters from the One Nation, Clive Palmer set and have ignored that there are a good number of people who would be willing to vote for them who do in fact care about the environment and how it affects farmers and their livelihoods. Once the Nationals realize that, which to be honest I cannot see happening, they may well pick up more seats.

As for the Liberals, they seriously need to look at the values that they have. Do they want to be a party that represents the ultra conservatives side of politics or are the willing to be more moderate. If they wish to continue with ultra conservative then they can and should expect a long period in opposition as the vast majority of the population will be unwilling to support such policies. If they are willing to admit that they have failings and be willing to fix them I can see that the party will turns itself around. The biggest issue that it has at the moment in turning it around is frankly a lack of leadership. Many of those within the Liberal Party who may have been able to turn it around are no longer going to be in parliament.

Turning to the Labor Party. To my view it was an interesting result. Fowler proved that electorates do not like to feel that they are being taken for granted and what is a safe seat will not be that way if you try to put whomever you want into the seat. People are far more engaged in politics than what I think the major parties give them credit for. However, the clear win in WA is what will likely give them majority government and is a clear indication that when you are willing to campaign in seats that there is the possibility that they may change hands rather than just leaving the seat alone and saying effectively, you don't matter as we don't think that you will vote for us anyway.

The Greens frankly are the big winners from this election. It shows that inner city voters, particularly those in Brisbane are becoming more aware of the flooding that the Brisbane river appears to become almost an annual occurrence and people are starting to become more concerned about this and are starting to believe that climate change, global warming, whatever term that you wish to use is real and happening now. I personally am on the view that it is a real thing. The only thing that I have no idea on is if humans are causing it or not. However, does it really hurt to use less things from the ground all the time.

The independents in my mind prove that Australian's as a group have become disillusioned with the two major parties. The Liberal's have a major issue with how it represents women and until it changes they are never going to win back those seats in inner Sydney.

So they are my thoughts on the election that was. 

Trevor

As much as I dislike Barnaby, he was right, they lost no seats and in fact might have gained one or maybe 2 - so something they are doing is ringing true for their electorates

Labor did not win the election, the voters turfed the Liberals out.  Their voters wouldn't vote for Labor but wanted to punish the Libs so the voted Independent

If the Libs think by that having Dutton as their leader is going to lead to some rigorous internal navel-gazing then they are wrong - he is hard Right like Abbott and that is NOT where the majority of Liberal voters are

PHARK IT!!!!!

Alan59

Quote from: Trevor on May 23, 2022, 11:30:45 AM
As much as I dislike Barnaby, he was right, they lost no seats and in fact might have gained one or maybe 2 - so something they are doing is ringing true for their electorates

Labor did not win the election, the voters turfed the Liberals out.  Their voters wouldn't vote for Labor but wanted to punish the Libs so the voted Independent

If the Libs think by that having Dutton as their leader is going to lead to some rigorous internal navel-gazing then they are wrong - he is hard Right like Abbott and that is NOT where the majority of Liberal voters are
Regarding the Nationals it probably shows at the moment we are 2 countries with a similar split as the US only not as extreme.For a long time the Nationals and their constituency have basically held the Liberals and therefore the nation as a whole hostage particularly in climate change.
The Nationals could change as they have at state level in NSW in the last year but there are huge egos in their party room and it is hard to see Joyce,Canavan,Pitt etc renounce the gospel they have been preaching for nearly 15 years.
It is now clear this unholy alliance cannot get elected as much of the Liberal base has left the room.Dutton as leader guarantees the teals will be re-elected.Even if he goes all moderate those voters won't believe him.There is too much baggage.

Sonic

Quote from: Ospif1 on May 22, 2022, 06:23:50 PM
Quote from: Sonic on May 22, 2022, 05:23:08 PM
Or perhaps as usual, the Murdoch owned media made it appear like Andrews was widely disliked when the reality was quite different.

nope, that was my personal view from talking with real people... if you listen to media you're wasting your time!

Andrews is well disliked in the folk that I come across
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

CP

Quote from: Trevor on May 23, 2022, 11:30:45 AM

The Nats were always going to get back in as the farmers and farmers kids will always vote for them.

In saying that, they have done a lot for their seats and are always out and about. I said G'day to Barnaby in Bunnings one day and he replied. I thought that was pretty cool.

A Labor win wasn't surprising, but the margin was, as was the ousted PM keeping his seat.

Given their popularity in state parliament, I was surprised there weren't any Shooters, Fishers and Farmers candidates. Most of Mark Coultons seat at the state level is SFF held.

It wasn't just an election won by the mob with the better climate action plan like some of the talking heads believe. There are things that the former government have done that quite rightly have put the public offside.

Coverups of rapes in parliament, staffers pulling themselves silly on other members desks, allegedly nasty things done in the prayer rooms, as to which the PM didn't realise was a bad thing until his wife pointed that out.

A half a billion security contract awarded to some beach shack in South Australia is another one, as are two MPs holding an inflated water licence with no water attached to it, awarding Foxtel an unneeded grant to televise more women's sport, buying new submarines without telling the folks that we're building your new ones that they don't need them now, grants to MPs wives that own childcare centres that aren't conflicts of interest, sports roots. We could go on.

Could Albo be the change we need? Quite possibly, but he needs a decent team around him and if he can do that, he should go well.

It'd be a nice change from the revolving door of the last few years too if he can last a term without being knived.

In the last 13 years, we've had 5 different prime ministers. It'd be nice to go into the next election with the same PM that got voted in at the last one. That's surprising an honour ScoMo can have for the time being.

Trevor

I had a bit of a laugh on Sunday, a mate of mine who hates the Left, but not much of a fan of the current Right (hated lockdowns, mandates etc - was all about FREEDOM) has come up with a 'ScoMo' for Albo, it is AnAl   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I did the funny side

PHARK IT!!!!!

stevo qld

There is a matter of concern to me, or perhaps, it is just wonderment at our voting system.

I have read that in one culturally diverse electorate, there has been an informal vote of 10.47 with scrutineers saying that some booths have 20%.
Some papers are left blank which is possibly a protest vote, but large numbers are marking papers with a tick or cross or a 1, for their choice, and not numbering all candidates.

This is of concern when we have electorates decided by as little as 0.1%.

Some of the "culturally diverse" people come from countries that do not even have elections.

Some come from diverse background, such as Queensland, or maybe other states too, that either tell voters they can just number "1" on the ballot.
Well. they have in the past and I really don't remember about currently.

If it is difficult to culturally non-diverse people, just think how difficult it is for people with a poor grasp of English.

I voted postal, being aged and decrepit  ;D , but a friend who voted at a nearby booth that covered two electorates was amazed that many voters did NOT know which electorate they lived in, even though we all got a letter telling up. Maybe they are "reading diverse".

Any way, if the electoral system is too complicated, then maybe we should revert to optional preferential voting.

PS: If you want to have fun with an annoying door knocker at a federal election, tell them you will just vote "1", because Anna Bligh said to do it. ;D
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

Troy01505

Quote from: stevo qld on May 24, 2022, 09:10:08 PM
There is a matter of concern to me, or perhaps, it is just wonderment at our voting system.

I have read that in one culturally diverse electorate, there has been an informal vote of 10.47 with scrutineers saying that some booths have 20%.
Some papers are left blank which is possibly a protest vote, but large numbers are marking papers with a tick or cross or a 1, for their choice, and not numbering all candidates.

This is of concern when we have electorates decided by as little as 0.1%.

Some of the "culturally diverse" people come from countries that do not even have elections.

Some come from diverse background, such as Queensland, or maybe other states too, that either tell voters they can just number "1" on the ballot.
Well. they have in the past and I really don't remember about currently.

If it is difficult to culturally non-diverse people, just think how difficult it is for people with a poor grasp of English.

I voted postal, being aged and decrepit  ;D , but a friend who voted at a nearby booth that covered two electorates was amazed that many voters did NOT know which electorate they lived in, even though we all got a letter telling up. Maybe they are "reading diverse".

Any way, if the electoral system is too complicated, then maybe we should revert to optional preferential voting.

PS: If you want to have fun with an annoying door knocker at a federal election, tell them you will just vote "1", because Anna Bligh said to do it. ;D

Our system is to complicated. They need to simplify the process or change to optional voting.

Alan59

Optional voting all around the world has been shown to be a bad idea that has the effect of disenfranchising people at the bottom of the socio economic  ladder.
It has long been the Liberal Party's wet dream to not have these people vote and a couple of the now departed members actually started floating this idea in the last term.
The voting system is not that complicated in comparison to driving a car or operating a smartphone.If this is a statistical problem rather than an anecdotal one then the AEC needs to step up its education program.
Edit:The percentage of informal votes in the 2019 election was 3.81%