News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

COVID-19 discussion

Started by Trevor, May 13, 2021, 04:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlbertM

Quote from: mikeamerica84 on July 25, 2021, 02:43:05 AM
Quote from: LG on July 24, 2021, 04:27:11 PM
The"mob" out in force in Sydney today makes you realise why it's getting so bad down there.
I hope each and every one of them gets it.
They deserve each other.
As an outsider (a real outsider) I'll play Devil's Advocate here:

To me, like here in the States, the big issue is what is the end game?  What is NSW's end game?  If you are a citizen there and got the vaccination, a.k.a. "The Magic Bullet", and let us say you will even STILL wear a mask in public, what else do you want them to do?  Now because you "obeyed" all of the rules, you are locked down with everyone else?  Well that's great.  Just great.  I am glad I went the extra yard to do this. 

You then start thinking who in charge really does have the big picture, granted it is a moving target.

So what is the end game, gents?  Zero cases - or else?  Masks forever?  The unvaccinated having to wear a scarlet letter on their lapel?  Think long term here.  I know over here in the States, very few people signed up in life here to be told what to do at this level in a free country.  I see the protestors as maybe the tip of an iceberg.

Just a third point of view from the other side of the fences.

There is no end game. The problem is the expectation/desire for life to return to "normal", just like it was pre pandemic. Unless the virus is completely eradicated, life will never go back to "normal".
Ford Faithful

LG

I think the end game  is to get back to as normal as possible.
We can only do that if the great majority of the population gets immunised.
Getting to the state of vast majority being immunised is where further problems lie.
The vaccination scheme is hodge podge to say the least.
The Federal government failed to order large enough quantities of the drugs necessary.
The states have stuffed up the implementation of the immunisations.
We probably should have had a special committee of suitably qualified people tasked with getting everyone immunised.
People in the medical profession, logistics and such. Politicians should not be involved.

I have come across a number of people who are against immunisation for some very weird reasons.
I have asked each one of them the same question, "How's your polio going?"
I generally get blank looks as an answer.

When I posted earlier about the protests in Sydney, I didn't realise that similar was happening in Brisbane and Melbourne.
My hope is that each and every one of them gets a bad case of Covid as it would be interesting to see if they change their minds and start to believe in the science rather than the rubbish that spews forth from the uneducated and ill-informed.

I don't believe my hope is vindictive, it's more a case of sharing ...    ;D ;D ;D

Bloopy

Quote from: AlbertM on July 25, 2021, 11:49:57 AM
There is no end game. The problem is the expectation/desire for life to return to "normal", just like it was pre pandemic. Unless the virus is completely eradicated, life will never go back to "normal".

Life returned to normality after influenza pandemics despite influenza still being around and still killing hundreds of people per year. The flu mutates much more easily, so coronavirus might not be that bad in the long run. A good start would be 70% of people in a country vaccinated. The higher that figure, the less of a problem it is for us to catch the virus from infected people arriving as it won't spread/kill anything like what it does now. Restrictions should be eased, foreigners allowed back in and so on.

What could be interesting is how things play out in any areas where half the population or more refuse the vaccine.

AlbertM

Covid shouldn't be compared to the flu. 
Ford Faithful

Bloopy

I mostly agree with that blanket statement, but it doesn't address my points. Anything learned from deadly influenza pandemics is obviously useful now, for example.

Zac

Quote from: AlbertM on July 25, 2021, 11:33:22 AM
Quote from: Zac on July 24, 2021, 11:43:41 AM
Speaking of Gladys and health advice: The NSW Chief Health Officer, Dr Kerry Chant has been on call 24/7 for months and working 16-18 hour days six days a week for the past few, and AFAIK, Gladys has been doing pretty much the same. Today she had a morning off. I don't think courage, or any lack of it, had anything to do with missing one press conference.
No, Gladys does not get a pass. She played politics and lost and does not deserve a break for this outbreak she compounded. Gladys still uses language in pressers to cover her political backside instead of being clear and precise.

No 'pass' for Gladys from Albert  :-[. She even tries to cover her political backside, which is a fair point - and very un-politician like.  Daniel and Anna have been doing the same and Daniel's just returned from weeks off and Anna has been off to the Olympics. How about a morning off?  :-*

AlbertM

Yeah Dan and Anna are real popular. Nice try Zac. A for effort.
Ford Faithful

AlbertM

Quote from: Bloopy on July 25, 2021, 04:06:54 PM
I mostly agree with that blanket statement, but it doesn't address my points. Anything learned from deadly influenza pandemics is obviously useful now, for example.

Agreed that we learn from the past. The long term impact of Covid19 is largely unknown.  So far the vaccines have stayed on top of the several variants that have popped up. Experts say we need 80% vaccine rate before there will be any signs of normality. It will take years to achieve providing a new Covid variant doesn't pop up that resists the vaccine. Then we start all over again.  As I said. There is no end game. We can only fight pandemic as it comes and adapt.

I hope I'm wrong, and covid is memory sooner than later.  But what hope is there for the world when media services discourage vaccination for political gain. The whole internet full of misinformation and out right lies. Heck, our states and federal government are bickering instead of uniting to defeat Covid.
Ford Faithful

Zac

Quote from: AlbertM on July 25, 2021, 11:37:13 PM
Yeah Dan and Anna are real popular. Nice try Zac. A for effort.
Thank you. That means a lot. As for popularity, ScoMo is also popular. It's how they got their jobs.

AlbertM

Inspired! With obvious logic like that, you'll go far.
Ford Faithful

Zac

Here's some more. Scotty from Marketing, Josh from Accounts, Greg from the First Aid Dept and Peter from PR are all telling us that we're breaking records and up to one million jabs a week. So, let's see now: Well over 20 million to be vaccinated, two jabs each, that's errr... at the current record-breaking rate it'll take over 40 weeks to reach a good level of vaccinations. Luckily, it's not a race. Please tell me I get an A for Maths.

AlbertM

B-. You forgot to calculate they are 6 months behind.
Ford Faithful

LG

Why do we have 85 million doses coming in 2023?

Zac

I can't help you there, but Albert will know.

CP

Quote from: LG on July 26, 2021, 01:35:49 PM
Why do we have 85 million doses coming in 2023?

Apparently they're booster shots.