News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

COVID-19 discussion

Started by Trevor, May 13, 2021, 04:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djr18fan

Quote from: AlbertM on August 29, 2021, 01:11:41 PM
Quote from: Sonic on August 29, 2021, 11:54:29 AM
an interesting perspective from Betty (copied from her facebook page)

Before my father died , he built , the Sydney Jewish Museum.
my husband and I worked physically , on this museum, for a few years, in my job there , I saw hundreds if not thousands of pictures of people in camps , people in their everyday life and people who loved their country , fought for their country through the generations , and gave everything they had to it .
from all over Europe.
I was lucky enough to be the voice of the introduction video, and work at the museum , giving lectures to school children.
It was a wonderous time , talking to kids who had no idea , about WW2, besides our soldiers , and what Australia did, during that time .
The most common question asked by the kids , was something that i enjoyed answering in a very unusual way. It was an amphitheatre , so the rows got higher and higher as you went up.
I would find the biggest boyor girl  who was sitting at the end of the row and while not answering their question , would gently tap this boy (or girl) on their arm, with a newspaper , while carrying on with my lecture , every 5 minutes i would increase the tapping by just a little, till with 10 minutes to go I would  just stop.
Then walk down to the stage and ask for silence, and say "I will answer your question " I asked the boy or girl to come down and stand by me , and when they did you could see the massive difference in height , and structure (was thinner then) .
Then I would ask the teachers to stand , and sit , the kids friends stand and sit , and then ask them, Why didnt you teachers stop me from tapping this students arm, you are their guardians while they are away from school and you just sat there? I asked his friends why did you just sit there and let me tap your friend on the arm for nearlly an hour ? No one said a word.
then one girl or someone in the audience would say
"Because your in charge "..
I would ask them if they thought , that all 50 or 60 of them could of stopped me from tapping , and they laughed and said yes, and I said "but you didnt " you didnt want to be the first in trouble , the first to rock the boat . You became sheep and followed the shepard.
That is why in answer to your question of why didnt the concentration camp inmates charge the guards , as the ratio was probaly 1 guard to a couple of hundred inmates, at the best , they didnt .
No one wanted to be the first to die , the first to make trouble , (there were groups in the camps helping each other and acting as a kind of resistance , read up on it if you want ), but on the whole , they knew they would be punished, privileges taken away.
if they actually lived, through it .Now why am I telling you this story , because A) my father was an amazing man who was thrown in jail (which later became the concentration camp) for listening to the BBC.
😎 his family and friends were put on lists, didnt have the right papers , were kept in their homes, needed permits to work, were segregated from society because they were different .C) Watched while their friends and neighbours could lead a normal life , because they had the right papers.
They were put on a list .My 2 Aunties, had numbers tattooed on their arms ,from being in the camps, they were marked for life , as being different . my grandmother and uncle were led to the gas chambers . They unlawfully had their rights strippped from them.
and while this was happening, their neighbours and friends let it happen , not all , but the majority.
Violence is never an answer , it is never the way to solve a societies problems . but
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good people to do nothing ."
I am telling you this because I cant get the vaccine , I am allergic to some of the compounds in the vaccine .But the goverment will put me with ever other person, who isnt vaccinated, who have been told they have a choice,( and i believe we all have a choice ) but what kind of a choice is it,1 to be vaxed and go down path  to freedom and the lifting of restrictions , or 2 be unvaxed and rot in your homes , not much of a choice.I believe in choice and not being punished for it , do the non vaxed need to look over their shoulders for the Authorities,how long before the knock on the door comes . we are in lockdown , which is an unusual word for our government to use , look it up, it is a word to say that prisoners, have been put in their cells for a time , due to a disturbance.
As an Australian and a proud one , my whole world has turned around , will I ever see my grand daughters who live in the U.S, probably not , will I go to a restaurant for my birthday with my kids and their families , probably not .
Will I ever get back to track to watch my team race , probably not . will I walk among fans and talk about our shared love of motorsport ,  definately not.
And the sad thing is I dont understand why, if your jabbed, the only difference is that you may not end up in hospital, and most probably wont die . the vaxed can catch it , spread it , just like the unvaxed.
We have allowed ourselves to be divided.
We each have our own, problems at a time like this , but it is beyond a joke,when  people are living on nothing , where once they had jobs and a good life ,they now have nothing ,  this has to stop, my 6mth old granson has never seen another child , we are damaging an entire generation .where once we had a culture of sticking up for each other , being Aussies, little battlers, we are now Karens, medical experts and sheep.
This is not my Australia , that Australia is waiting to come back, and I for one hope that is soon.
Stop the madness ,  it seems , we are all in this together, as long as we pick door 1.
Betty

That's why it is ever so important to limit the spread, cut the lines of transmission until such a time enough of the population is vaccinated to protect the "Bettys" who can't have the vaccine.

Covid is not someone tapping someone else on the arm or a guard at a gate. It doesn't care what or who you are. You can't go up to it and ask it to stop. These BS comparison do nothing to help anyone other than creates the division it claims to abhor. 

We all can't do a lot of things right now. One thing we can do is keep ourselve and our loved ones safe by not spreading the ****ing covid.

Agree.
Madness is allowing the virus to spread unchecked before communities have done what they can to get to a position where the number of deaths will he acceptable.

I get my motor racing information from sources I believe to be knowledgeable about motor racing.
I get my medical information from sources I believe are qualified in medicine.

stevo qld

A few people died and, recently, most were in their 80's, and that is a shame, if they indeed died solely of Covid-19.

Fact if life: people in their 80's are often on borrowed time and it is convenient for Doctors to simply blame Covid-19 for death instead of the many, many. many, many other health complications out there.

This also applies even to people who have exceeded their four score and ten years on this planet.

On the previous incantation of this Forum, it was fashionable for Millennials (whatever that means) to whinge and whine about how privileged Boomers are.

Very shortly many Boomers are on the way out and our $millions of property and Superannuation will pass on down the line. We cannot take it with us.

So much for hubris:

The fact is that even though elderly people are allegedly dying of Covid-19, there are actually less elderly people in Nursing Homes, in total, dying than in pre Covid-19 times.

Millennials will just have to wait a little longer for their windfall.

Maybe that is a factor in the considerable opposition to prioritising vaccinations to over 70's, in Stage 1b,
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

djr18fan

"Convenient for doctors to blame covid."

More likely convenient for someone to spin a baseless theory that it's convenient for doctors.

Trevor

speaking of 'spin', that NSW team that faces the media everyday have nearly mastered it, although the Premier yesterday went a little of script and contradicted herself

Bloopy

Quote from: stevo qld on August 29, 2021, 09:47:22 PM
A few people died and, recently, most were in their 80's, and that is a shame, if they indeed died solely of Covid-19.

Fact if life: people in their 80's are often on borrowed time and it is convenient for Doctors to simply blame Covid-19 for death instead of the many, many. many, many other health complications out there.

That's not convenience, it's standard scientific practice. Same as when the majority of deaths during the 1918 flu pandemic were due to secondary bacterial infection and not influenza directly, but still counted. A few people were probably going to catch those bacterial infections anyway due to the hygiene of the time.

During and after a pandemic, excess mortality is the calculation that gives a better picture of the true death toll of the event. But that also means things like increased death from starvation get counted as pandemic deaths, eg. COVID-19 disrupting the food supply chain in India.

Trevor

I am not sure if it is true, but apparently NSW are only going to release figures weekly or monthly, I can't remember. The bull-**** spin is not working so they are trying a different tact

AlbertM

Trump playbook. Don't acknowledge anything, it never happened.  Next they will blame the testing for high cases.
Ford Faithful

AlbertM

Dr Chant announced today they are pulling all the Pfizer from regional NSW to give to Sydney. That leaves no mRNA vaccines available for the country folk.

Wouldn't have anything to do with Pfizers 3 weeks between doses, would it? 70-80% of the states population is in greater Sydney. It's Gladys and Co way of reaching the vaccination target quicker. Once again the regions are sacrificed for political expediency.
Ford Faithful

stevo qld

For the Vaccine Snobs, there is a lot of Pfizer on the way. Plenty of Vaxzevria available for the rest. (September starts in a few hours.)

QuoteScott Morrison has announced that 500,000 Pfizer doses will become available in September, after an agreement for a swap deal was reached with the Singaporean government.

"It's a dose swap deal which simply means we're taking the 500,000 they have now, so we can put that into our distribution this month coming in September and we will provide them with 500,000 in December," the Prime Minister told a press conference on Tuesday morning.

"That means there are 500,000 doses extra that will happen in September that otherwise would have had to wait for several months from now accelerating our vaccination program at this critical time."

Mr Morrison thanked his Singaporean counterpart Lee Hsien Loong, Mr Hunt and Foreign Minister Marise Payne, who had "worked closely" to deliver the deal.

"I'll announce further arrangements once we're in a position to do so. I said, I'd leave no stone unturned on this and this is further demonstration that that has been the focus of the government," Mr Morrison said.

Ms Payne said the deal represented a "constructive and flexible" way for governments to work together in managing Covid-19, as she underlined the importance of the country's diplomatic capabilities in "protecting all Australians".

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/nation/politics/half-a-million-moderna-doses-headed-for-australia/news-story/2641baa8aab80da14b372259d194eb4d

QuoteSingapore will soon send half a million Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine doses to Australia as part of a "vaccine swap" between the two countries, delivering a boost to the nation's vaccination program.

Key points:
The doses will arrive this week and be distributed next week
Australia will send half a million doses back to Singapore in December
The extra Pfizer will be distributed evenly around the country
Under the agreement, Australia will receive 500,000 Pfizer doses that are due to expire.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison said the doses would arrive this week, to be rolled out across Australia from next week, and would be shared equally with all states and territories on the basis of population.

"We need to vaccinate the whole country and we need for those doses to go from one end of the country to the other and for them to be taken up," he said.

Catch up on the main COVID-19 news from August 31 with a look back at our blog
The federal government will then deliver half a million Pfizer vaccines back to Singapore in December, when Australia is expected to have ample supplies.

"This will greatly assist the national vaccination program as it brings in two important age groups into the program — the 16- to 29-year-olds, which have already begun this week — and, of course, the 12- to 15-year-olds," Mr Morrison said.

"I said I'd leave no stone unturned on this and this is further demonstration that that has been the focus of the government."

Singapore has already fully vaccinated well over 80 per cent of its population against COVID-19 — making it one of the most inoculated countries in the world — and has begun the process of easing restrictions.

In a statement, Singapore's Ministry of Foreign Affairs said it might use the 500,000 returned doses from Australia for booster shots later in the year.

"These returned doses would come in more useful for Singapore then, potentially as booster doses for specific segments of our population that could benefit from such boosting," the ministry said.

Mr Morrison has hailed the vaccine swap as an example of international cooperation, saying Australia and Singapore were working together to make sure vaccines were used before they expire.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-31/pfizer-doses-availability-australia-singapore-covid-19/100421462
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

Trevor

Quote from: AlbertM on August 31, 2021, 09:06:42 PM
Dr Chant announced today they are pulling all the Pfizer from regional NSW to give to Sydney. That leaves no mRNA vaccines available for the country folk.

Wouldn't have anything to do with Pfizers 3 weeks between doses, would it? 70-80% of the states population is in greater Sydney. It's Gladys and Co way of reaching the vaccination target quicker. Once again the regions are sacrificed for political expediency.

they are not playing from the same hymn book as SloMo & Co then, Gladys is happy to piss off the country voters, she is not as worried about the next State and Federal election as SloMo is

Trevor

I laughed yesterday when Dan was questioned about the 500,000 new doses SloMo got from Singapore, he said 'well our 25% will go a long way' - his sarcasm makes me smile

Trevor

Won't it be great to get back to some sort of normality - but it might a bit of the 'have's' and have not's' - vaccinations I mean - the vaccinated go places the un-vaccinated can't - it will be interesting for sure

AlbertM

Quote from: stevo qld on August 31, 2021, 11:41:04 PM
For the Vaccine Snobs, there is a lot of Pfizer on the way. Plenty of Vaxzevria available for the rest. (September starts in a few hours.)

It helps but that's not "a lot" of Pfizer. It doses <0.5% of our population. 
Ford Faithful

AlbertM

Quote from: Trevor on September 01, 2021, 05:51:34 AM
Quote from: AlbertM on August 31, 2021, 09:06:42 PM

they are not playing from the same hymn book as SloMo & Co then, Gladys is happy to piss off the country voters, she is not as worried about the next State and Federal election as SloMo is

Up to 70% primary vote for the NSW LNP out here. There is no danger of them losing an election and she knows it.
Ford Faithful

stevo qld

Quote from: Trevor on September 01, 2021, 05:53:12 AM
I laughed yesterday when Dan was questioned about the 500,000 new doses SloMo got from Singapore, he said 'well our 25% will go a long way' - his sarcasm makes me smile

This just shows what a smart arse Dan is.
The correct answer should have been "Thank You"!

Quote from: AlbertM on September 01, 2021, 11:07:51 AM
Quote from: stevo qld on August 31, 2021, 11:41:04 PM

It helps but that's not "a lot" of Pfizer. It doses <0.5% of our population.

So, would you rather we didn't have them?

By the way, the Media tout Singapore for having reached 80% but that's on a population less than a quarter of Australia.

So we are approaching double dosed Australian numbers at about double their rate.

But: 500,000 will surely help the vaccine snobs and those with medical reasons.

Have a look at these figures. 19,362,666 doses administered as of yesterday.
https://covidlive.com.au/vaccinations

Still plenty of Vaxzevria available if anyone really wants them. Readily available Chemists around here, so why would it no be so under Chairman Dan?
ALBERT EINSTEIN