News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

COVID-19 discussion

Started by Trevor, May 13, 2021, 04:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CP

I'm fully vaxxed now. Sadly, I haven't picked up any 5G capabilities, but for some weird, unknown reason, I now have cravings for Cydectin and Ivomec. It's possible the vaccine has ivomectin in it, so that may be why. :D

I know that people don't take their phones everywhere they go, (I'm one of those), and most stores have someone willing to sign you in or have paper forms to fill in.

How would that that work with the vaccine permission slip?

They have to cater to the same folks that don't take phones with them, so do you have to cart around a paper form all the time to show that you are?

Surely there is a better idea than that?

LG

Quote from: CP on October 07, 2021, 08:57:43 AM
I'm fully vaxxed now. Sadly, I haven't picked up any 5G capabilities, but for some weird, unknown reason, I now have cravings for Cydectin and Ivomec. It's possible the vaccine has ivomectin in it, so that may be why. :D

I know that people don't take their phones everywhere they go, (I'm one of those), and most stores have someone willing to sign you in or have paper forms to fill in.

They have to cater to the same folks that don't take phones with them, so do you have to cart around a paper form all the time to show that you are?

How about a redesigned Medicare card?

Sonic

Quote from: LG on October 07, 2021, 09:03:04 AM

How about a redesigned Medicare card?

that may work but it would have to be a chipped card so it can be updated as they are already talking about booster shots out here so the double vax will soon be out of date and they will no longer be eligible to be free to roam in society (if current regs in Vic are continued with)

philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

Trevor

you can download it off MyGov/Medicare, print and carry it with you.  I have

LG

Quote from: Trevor on October 07, 2021, 10:26:53 AM

you can download it off MyGov/Medicare, print and carry it with you.  I have

As I don't go anywhere without my phone for safety reasons, I just downloaded it to there.

stevo qld

The Media treat the State Health experts, who have turned up for so long at press conferences, like ****!!!!!!!!

Then the media whinges if one miss a day.  Maybe their positions actually involves work.

Media misinformation and conflicting information is  more of a problem than politicians and health officers.

I notice that the leader of ABC news is quitting, not that one might notice from the ABC website.

QuoteABC news boss Gaven Morris resigns from public broadcaster
Battles with senior journalists, who at times acted like a law unto themselves, placed a huge strain on Gaven Morris. Picture: AAP
Battles with senior journalists, who at times acted like a law unto themselves, placed a huge strain on Gaven Morris. Picture: AAP
JAMES MADDEN
MEDIA EDITOR

SOPHIE ELSWORTH
MEDIA WRITER
@sophieelsworth

38 MINUTES AGO OCTOBER 7, 2021
When ABC staff were told via email at lunchtime on Thursday that the public broadcaster's news boss, Gaven Morris, was quitting, few were surprised.

For well over a year, Mr Morris – who has held the prestigious post of the ABC's director of news, analysis and investigations since October 2015 – has been confiding to friends and colleagues that he's had enough of the job, and was eyeing an escape.

"I reckon he deserves a medal for lasting six years – it's one of the toughest editorial jobs in the world, what with the conflicting agendas of some staff and political stakeholders," one well-placed source told The Australian. "It's a nightmare. He's done a good job, considering."

READ NEXT

Menu items and wages set to soar
MAX MADDISON
Another ABC source simply offered: "He's well and truly over it."

If 2020 was a rough year for the ABC and Mr Morris, 2021 has been twice as hard.

Rolling, internal battles with senior journalists, who at times acted like a law unto themselves, placed a huge strain on the 49-year-old, who was also under immense pressure from the ABC hierarchy to rein in the seemingly unregulated use of social media by some of the public broadcaster's highest-profile reporters.

Emma Alberici.
Emma Alberici.
READ MORE:ABC 'was duped' by Juanita Nielsen sting tale|ABC submarine coverage sinks|Harmer, Buck reveal shock ABC exit|ABC's botched doco to cost jobs|Valentine set to cash in on ABC overhaul
His farewell note to staff carried a weary tone. "It's without doubt a challenging job, but also fulfilling and worthwhile. I've given it my all," he wrote.

But for all his professional achievements – and he can claim many – Mr Morris has found himself in the middle of almost all the public controversies to have consumed the ABC in the past 18 months.

The heated internal debates, disputes and missteps certainly weren't all Mr Morris' doing, of course, but he was unable to effectively crack down on some of the attitudes and behaviours of some of his most senior staff.

In August last year, one-time ABC star Emma Alberici accused Mr Morris of undermining her in her ongoing spat with former prime minister Malcolm Turnbull, who had taken issue with the journalist's 2018 article on corporate tax rates that included nine errors.

New & improved business newsletter. Get the edge with AM and PM briefings, plus breaking news alerts in your inbox.

"Despite the enormous toll his actions have taken on my mental health, Gaven Morris wanted to call it a termination payout, no doubt so he could tell the world I was fired for incompetence or some such," she posted on Twitter the day after she left the ABC.

But the Alberici matter was just the beginning of Mr Morris' internal battles.

In November 2020, the now infamous Inside the Canberra Bubble episode aired on the ABC's flagship current affairs program, Four Corners, for which Mr Morris has editorial oversight.

The program carried allegations about the personal lives of some Coalition ministers, prompting Communications Minister Paul Fletcher to write a letter to ABC chair Ita Buttrose, asking her to explain how the expose of the private lives of politicians was in the public interest.

Soon after, Mr Morris made the fateful decision to kill one of the ABC's golden geese, by shifting Q+A from its established Monday night timeslot to Thursday nights – a move that began its inexorable ratings slide to virtual irrelevance within months.

Amid all this, Mr Morris was telling colleagues he was becoming increasingly annoyed by the often ill-disciplined and inappropriate social media postings by ABC staff.

That issue was to come to a head later in 2021, when Sally Neighbour, executive producer of Four Corners, was the subject of an internal investigation into the Twitter posts she made at the conclusion of the defamation action that former attorney-general Christian Porter had brought against the ABC.

Louise Milligan Picture: David Geraghty
Louise Milligan Picture: David Geraghty
Soon after, a defamatory tweet that the program's high-profile reporter, Louise Milligan, posted about federal MP Andrew Laming resulted in a taxpayer-funded bill of more than $130,000 in damages and legal fees.

The Australian understands Ms Buttrose was incensed by the senior journalists' activity on social media, and much of the pressure to enforce change in that area fell to Mr Morris.

In February, ABC Online published an article by Milligan containing allegations against an unnamed senior cabinet minister. That story became the subject of defamation action taken by Mr Porter – who outed himself as the minister referred to in the February 26 article, and denied the allegations – with the matter ultimately costing the public broadcaster $780,000 in legal fees and mediation costs.

In June, there were further rumblings of discontent from within the news and current affairs team, when Mr Morris opted to delay the airing of a Four Corners episode about Prime Minister Scott Morrison's alleged links to a known supporter of the QAnon far-right conspiracy movement, a move that caused friction within the once tight-knit team referred to in-house as "4C".

But perhaps the final straw was the drama that befell the ABC's "true crime" investigation about the fatal fire at Sydney's Luna Park in 1979.

Mr Morris signed off on Exposed: The Ghost Train Fire but it was beset by accusations of sloppy journalism and lazy research, and eventually subjected to an external review, which found it had wrongly implied former NSW premier Neville Wran was linked to corrupt activity.

By the time the damning external review was made public six weeks ago, Mr Morris was preparing to announce his intention to leave the ABC.

Mr Morris and Ms Buttrose did not respond to questions from The Australian.

Perhaps the final straw for Gaven Morris was the drama that befell the ABC's 'true crime' investigation about the fatal fire at Sydney's Luna Park in 1979. Picture: AAP
Perhaps the final straw for Gaven Morris was the drama that befell the ABC's 'true crime' investigation about the fatal fire at Sydney's Luna Park in 1979. Picture: AAP
JAMES MADDENMEDIA EDITOR
James Madden has worked for The Australian for over 20 years. As a reporter, he covered courts, crime and politics in Sydney and Melbourne. James was previously Sydney chief of staff, deputy national chief of s... Read more

SOPHIE ELSWORTHMEDIA WRITER
Sophie is media writer for The Australian. She graduated from a double degree in Arts/Law but decided against a career as a lawyer and instead pursued her desire to become a journalist. She has worked across th... Read more

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/media/abc-news-boss-gaven-morris-resigns-from-public-broadcaster/news-story/36fe498c2460cf4ed4b79ed0edc07e1c

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

meha

So half of our state has gone into a three day lockdown starting 6pm tonight, all from one case who has basically refused to cooperate with health authorities about saying where he has been and escaping hotel quarantine.

Trevor

the selfishness of some, and let me guess the age group they fall into??????

meha

Quote from: Trevor on October 16, 2021, 04:03:34 AM
the selfishness of some, and let me guess the age group they fall into??????

A 31 year old male. I do find it interesting that one of his breaches of quarantine was to go out to do a drug deal.  ::)

Trevor

why would that surprise you  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sonic

Quote from: Trevor on October 18, 2021, 10:56:00 AM
'merica, what can you say???  I bet they were Trump supporters too

https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavirus/health/anti-vaxxers-die-of-covid-after-finding-misinformation-on-facebook/news-story/e098f25254ba42c2e16d0a8b25858706

And friends of mine in the US are also upset as people they know who have been double jabbed are now also dead from the virus. Vax or not you can be equally dead.
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

LG

My understanding of the deaths of people who have been properly vaccinated is that they have also been health/age compromised so it's not just Covid.
Yes, it is probably the straw that broke the camel's back however Covid alone was not the only cause. Some of the people actually had Covid before they received either their first or second jab.
For the first six months of this year it is somewhere around 1.2%.

Trevor

Quote from: Sonic on October 18, 2021, 11:03:57 AM
And friends of mine in the US are also upset as people they know who have been double jabbed are now also dead from the virus. Vax or not you can be equally dead.

I would love to see some REAL evidence of this, not hearsay, not Chinese Whispers, not fanatical right wing reporting, but real hard facts

Bloopy

It also depends on how long ago they had the 2nd jab and which vaccine they got. A 2nd Pfizer jab is only good for 6 months according to this:

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20210906/Israeli-study-on-viral-load-Delta-infections-vaccinations-and-boosters.aspx
QuoteHowever, the protection against viral load started reducing after two months of the second vaccine dose, followed by a complete diminution after 6 months.