News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

F1 2023 Season

Started by stevo qld, July 28, 2022, 09:17:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeamerica84

Tsunoda Retained by AlphaTauri for 2023
By Chris Medland | September 22, 2022 8:05 AM ET

Yuki Tsunoda will remain with AlphaTauri for the 2023 season, though he may still have a new teammate when entering his third year in Formula 1.

The Japanese driver progressed rapidly through the junior categories to secure a race seat at AlphaTauri in 2021, ending his rookie season with an impressive fourth place in Abu Dhabi. After three point-scoring finishes in his first five starts this year, Tsunoda has failed to score since the Spanish Grand Prix but AlphaTauri says it has seen enough progression to warrant retaining him for 2023.

"I want to say a huge thank you to Red Bull, Honda and Scuderia AlphaTauri for continuing to give me the opportunity to drive in F1," Tsunoda said. "Having moved to Italy last year, to be closer to the factory, I really feel part of the team and am glad that I get to carry on racing with them in 2023. Of course, our 2022 season isn't over yet and we're still pushing hard in the midfield battle, so I'm fully focused on finishing it on a high and then we will look forward to next year."

AlphaTauri team principal Franz Tost says all young drivers should get three years if they show potential, and wants Tsunoda to start to deliver on that in the remaining rounds this year.

"As we've seen since he joined us last year, Yuki is a very talented driver and has improved a lot this season," Tost said. "The pace he has shown recently is clear evidence of a steep learning curve, which proves he deserves a seat in F1, and I still expect some strong results from him in the last six races of 2022.

"As I always say, a driver needs at least three years to fully get to grips with Formula 1, so I'm pleased he's been given the time to show his full potential. In addition, it's a testament to Dr. (Helmut) Marko and his driver program that we're able to bring these young talents up from the junior categories and develop them.

"I'd like to join Yuki in thanking Red Bull and AlphaTauri, as well as Honda, for their continuous support and for allowing him to stay with us for another year."

While Tsunoda provides stability at AlphaTauri, there's uncertainty over his teammate. Pierre Gasly was announced as staying earlier this year, but has since been courted by Alpine and a deal is understood to be provisionally agreed for him to leave if Alpine selects him and AlphaTauri lines up a replacement.

That replacement was intended to be Colton Herta but Super License issues have all but ended those hopes, with Nyck de Vries receiving interest after his impressive debut for Williams at Monza.

Gasly — or any reference to the second seat — was not mentioned in the AlphaTauri announcement regarding Tsunoda.

https://racer.com/2022/09/22/tsunoda-retained-by-alphatauri-for-2023/

Not too surprising.  I can see the angle in wanting to keep a Japanese driver, AND there is still no word on the other driver yet.
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

mikeamerica84

V8SuperRiley

All the talk now has Dan making a surprise return to Red Bull as the reserve driver..

Sonic

Quote from: V8SuperRiley on October 24, 2022, 04:31:55 PM
All the talk now has Dan making a surprise return to Red Bull as the reserve driver..

if that is accurate it shows how much they value him as a driver
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

stevo qld

If so, I suppose Dan will be the reserve driver for both RedBull and Alpha Tauri.

The big question is whether the new owners for both teams will want to run two teams.

Could it be an opportunity for Andretti to buy in to an Italian Team?????
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

Sonic

Quote from: stevo qld on October 24, 2022, 08:58:49 PM
If so, I suppose Dan will be the reserve driver for both RedBull and Alpha Tauri.

The big question is whether the new owners for both teams will want to run two teams.

Wouldn't that still be a good thing for Dan? His background fits in and the Andretti could put in a US driver for the 2nd spot

Alan59

Quote from: stevo qld on October 24, 2022, 08:58:49 PM

At the end of Ted's Notebook at Austin he said the Ricciardo as RB Reserve Driver rumours were wrong.Admitting he had taken the bait and reported them the previous day.Still a fair chance of having that role at Mercedes apparently.
I thought Jensen Button's and Danica Patrick's take on the situation was pretty interesting.

stevo qld

Dan is one issue, and I am sure we will know eventually.

The big issue, to me, is that the new owners of Redbull have two Formula one teams.

On top of the cost cap, there are a lot of expenses, many tens of millions of extras.

Will they want to fork out for two teams when they can get a good price for their second team? ? ?
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

Sonic

Quote from: stevo qld on October 25, 2022, 05:10:35 PM

The big issue, to me, is that the new owners of Redbull have two Formula one teams.

On top of the cost cap, there are a lot of expenses, many tens of millions of extras.

Will they want to fork out for two teams when they can get a good price for their second team? ? ?

r&d costs split between 4 cars means $$ can be spent elsewhere... 2 teams is a great option for them I would think when you can double your cost cap!

V8SuperRiley

Quote from: Sonic on October 25, 2022, 06:24:01 PM
Quote from: stevo qld on October 25, 2022, 05:10:35 PM

r&d costs split between 4 cars means $$ can be spent elsewhere... 2 teams is a great option for them I would think when you can double your cost cap!

The way I believe it works though, is even though they are owned by the same people, they can't share R&D.

I've also seen that Ted has come out and said he had mis-took some information on Dan to Red Bull, and it's still looking more likely that Mercedes is the place he'll end up.

mikeamerica84

Hulkenberg to Replace Schumacher at Haas F1 for 2023
By Chris Medland | November 17, 2022 12:30 AM ET

Nico Hulkenberg will return to Formula 1 in 2023 after being named by Haas as its replacement for Mick Schumacher.

The 35-year-old lost his Renault drive at the end of the 2019 season but has since made a number of substitute appearances in his role as reserve driver for Aston Martin – including under its previous guise of Racing Point in 2020 – and will add to his 181 race starts with Haas. Hulkenberg holds the record for the most F1 starts without a podium, but has scored 521 points in his career and says he is motivated to fight in the midfield to try and boost Haas' scoring options.

"I'm very happy to move into a full-time race seat with Haas F1 Team in 2023," Hulkenberg said. "I feel like I never really left Formula 1. I'm excited to have the opportunity to do what I love the most again and want to thank Gene Haas and Guenther Steiner for their trust. We have work ahead of us to be able to compete with all the other teams in the midfield, and I cannot wait to join that battle again."

Hulkenberg, who won the GP2 title in 2009, replaces 2020 Formula 2 champion Schumacher, with his fellow German having scored 12 points to Kevin Magnussen's 25 so far this season and leaving Haas after two years. Team principal Guenther Steiner says experience and a proven quantity is what attracted him to Hulkenberg, who had been pushing hard for an opportunity to return to the grid.

"I'm naturally very pleased to be welcoming Nico Hulkenberg back to a full-time racing role in Formula 1," Steiner said. "The experience and knowledge base Nico brings to the team is clear to see, with nearly 200 career starts in Formula 1 and a reputation as being a great qualifier and a solid, reliable racer.

"These are attributes, which when you pair them together with Kevin Magnussen's experience, gives us a very credible and well-seasoned driver line-up which we believe will help push the team onwards up the grid. That's obviously the goal and it was that ambition that has prompted Nico's return to Formula 1 – he shares our vision and can be a key player together with the rest of the team in building on the foundations we've laid this year with our return to the points battle."

Hulkenberg will make his Haas debut during the post-race test in Abu Dhabi on Tuesday, driving one of the team's two cars alongside Pietro Fittipaldi.

https://racer.com/2022/11/17/hulkenberg-to-replace-schumacher-at-haas-f1-for-2023/

Now if they could only ditch Ferrari.

Sonic

Hulk has shown he still has something to offer.... but really? Why would you put in a 35 year old driver when there is all of the fresh faces out there with much to offer?

stevo qld

Quote from: Sonic on November 18, 2022, 08:06:00 AM
Hulk has shown he still has something to offer.... but really? Why would you put in a 35 year old driver when there is all of the fresh faces out there with much to offer?

Maybe the fresh young faces have proved to be too expensive and hard on machinery? The spend limit, I think, includes crash repair, which diminishes the money available for development.

Fresh young faces seem to work better when they have a competent and experienced team leader and a well-designed and prepared car.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

skaifeman

Quote from: stevo qld on November 18, 2022, 08:56:49 AM
Quote from: Sonic on November 18, 2022, 08:06:00 AM

Maybe the fresh young faces have proved to be too expensive and hard on machinery? The spend limit, I think, includes crash repair, which diminishes the money available for development.

Fresh young faces seem to work better when they have a competent and experienced team leader and a well-designed and prepared car.

You're probably right. They've gone from two young (paid) talents to two hardened veterans over the space of 2 years. It's pretty clear they're hoping to keep their cars straight.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

V8SuperRiley

If Nico can sit on the sidelines for 3 years and come back, Dan should have no issues hopefully.