News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Round 1 - Newcastle Spoliers

Started by mikeamerica84, March 08, 2023, 02:06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonic

with what Larko said in the telecast about the positioning of the second aircon box in the 888 cars... it is a safety issue... that is a crumple zone to protect the driver if they get t-boned.

but the penalty did not fit the crime... sure it shouldn't have been in that position but exclusion from the event was a bit rich.
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

LG

Quote from: Sonic on March 13, 2023, 09:13:06 AM
with what Larko said in the telecast about the positioning of the second aircon box in the 888 cars... it is a safety issue... that is a crumple zone to protect the driver if they get t-boned.

but the penalty did not fit the crime... sure it shouldn't have been in that position but exclusion from the event was a bit rich.

It was only exclusion from one race, not the event.  :)

V8SuperRiley

They've run an illegal car. I don't know if there's any penalty other than exclusion that would suit the crime.

Sonic

Quote from: V8SuperRiley on March 13, 2023, 01:06:58 PM

They've run an illegal car. I don't know if there's any penalty other than exclusion that would suit the crime.

for once I'm a bit indecisive on this one V8SR... there are illegalities that improve performance and put you in a better place than the opposition... for me this isn't one of those, it is a safety issue so it needed to be dealt with to make sure others did not follow suit.

but what gain did they get? RB's had cooler feet than the rest would be about the total sum of it? I think a team points penalty perhaps for that race, but exclusion for this offence is at the extreme.

TheArrow

Quote"For everything that we've done... It's pretty simple for us. We did everything we could, they ran us over the coals trying to get this car ready for the whole sport, we did everything we could, and because we didn't have quite enough time to put the driver cooling in exactly the right spot..." - Jamie Whincup
https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/03/13/whincup-on-dsq-supercars-did-not-tell-the-truth-to-stewards/

Apparently he can't quite get the story straight? Was it that they were granted permission? Or that they didn't have time to fit one correctly (that everyone else was able to do...).

QuoteSorry for this long post, I thought I'd share some thoughts seeing as I kept most things to myself yesterday.
Most people probably have noticed I have been pretty quiet publicly over the past couple of months. My purpose of writing this is not to 'explain myself' nor to expect sympathy for the public bashing that some of us drivers get, I guess I've always been told like most of us as kids 'If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all.' I will never forget I'm in an extremely fortunate position of being a V8 Supercar driver, my dream job.
It's not a secret I haven't been a fan of the way the Gen3 car feels and drives, and behind closed doors I've been pretty critical of things and tried to make it better, firstly with feedback to the category in the prototype testing and now with my team trying to make the race spec car to my liking.
The category seems to think our complaints and gripes with the car will 'make better racing' if we are struggling and we are told to be positive and show the sport in a good light, which of course I understand the last part. I try to be as neutral as I can with my critiques of the car, I act with the intention of representing the drivers trying to make the car better for everyone.
As much as I don't have a good feeling with the car at the moment it drops perfectly into my strengths - Hard to drive, on edge, hard on tyres. Perfect for me! So what am I complaining about? I guess I want not only myself, but all drivers to be getting out of the car raving about how awesome and fun it is to drive. Which is something that's not really happening now.
Over the weekend I probably said a bit too much publicly on Friday about the heat of the cars, although it did prove fruitful getting extra cooling for the drivers. Many still struggled, including myself with the heat. Unfortunately that upset some of the top brass and hence my adopted media strategy for Sunday 'if you don't have anything good to say, don't say it at all'. I just knuckled down and drove my arse off on track.
I understand it's my duty to represent the sport in a good light as Champion, I will do that to the best of my ability by being myself off track, racing hard on track for my team members, team partners and our fans. It was a real kick in the teeth hearing those comments from a 5 time champion – someone I look up to and respect. I am not going to pretend it's all roses when it is not.
The messages I have received today from fans, friends, colleagues and media members has been surprising and amazing. I was pretty down last night so to have such support today from the people that matter is a great feeling.
I love my team, they have been awesome this last couple of months helping me prepare and be at my best at Newcastle. I can't thank them enough.
See you at the GP
SVG
(From Shane's FB page)

And another distracting response from SVG that skirts around the actual issue. The comment in the press conference and in the post-race interview were not about the cars/Gen3, they were about the incident with Chaz. So all this that he's said is fine, and makes perfect sense. But it's also kind of irrelevant.

It's like when the team said they were disqualified for trying to cool the drivers. That's not what happened and was just a wordy release to shift the perspective of what is actually going on.

Bloopy

Considering the tight circuit, Bogan Monaco didn't put on too bad of a show.

For every bit of extra racecraft ability Shane has, he's always lacked a bit in the ability to speak with decorum. ;D In the past he's hopped out of his car at the end of a race and coarsely described the race as "boring" or something as being "a bit ****". I'm not sure which of his comments about Gen3 actually ruffled feathers, but even when he was talking about feeling uncomfortable/"wobbly" in the car, his comments would come across a bit better if he framed them with optimism. Even if Supercars fumbled the thing as an organisation and barely had the cars good to go in time, behind that is still a whole lot of ordinary people who worked insane hours away from their families to make it happen anyway. So throwing attitude and disrespect around the place is kinda tone deaf. His whinging requesting blue flags he wasn't entitled to lap after lap was over the top too.

But who knows, maybe it's better for Supercars than a sport lacking characters to talk about. It just makes me find it more entertaining when things don't go the villain's way. The disqualification is also amusing given Adrian Burgess has a dash of Triple8 flavour himself from having worked there for a few years.

edit: having read Shane's post, I can see he was at least trying to be constructive.

SetonFan

Speaking of the blue flags, has this interpretation that blue flags only get waved after final pitstops been used before? I don't recall it ever being mentioned in the past as a rule.

fordman

Quote from: SetonFan on March 13, 2023, 09:27:18 PM
Speaking of the blue flags, has this interpretation that blue flags only get waved after final pitstops been used before? I don't recall it ever being mentioned in the past as a rule.

I think it maybe a new rule? SVG may have forgotten it when he was calling for it when not entitled to it?

Sonic

Quote from: SetonFan on March 13, 2023, 09:27:18 PM

Seriously? Wow... another special rule for SC.

Bloody frustrating when you follow a sport as a whole and then something like this pops up. If you are about to be lapped the blue flag should be out ALWAYS with the only exception if you are pulling away from the leader or whoever is behind you.

Bloopy

Maybe it's Crompo who didn't have it quite right? Possibly he was thinking of the case where the slow car running long is the one holding someone up, as opposed to car in front being the one that's done an earlier pit stop. But I didn't think SVG was that close to Le Brocq - it took him nearly his whole stint to catch up. A quick glance at the rules suggests they wouldn't normally start waving them that proactively.

V8SuperRiley

Shane wasn't close enough to warrant blue flags in my opinion. I honestly would like to do away with them, until the driver being lapped is more than a lap down. I think a driver should be allowed to fight to stay on the lead lap.

skaifeman

Quote from: Joe5619 on March 12, 2023, 08:54:57 PM
His move on Chaz was 50/50.. No need to penalty, let them race..

Such a shame about Cam, would have made the ending even better!!

What is going on at DJR???????

And are we watching the end of Percat's fulltime career?

Basically my comments for the weekend.
There was overlap in the move that both drivers could've avoided - cheeky from SVG, which we know he does. Chaz isn't one to shy away from contact either, dare say a return serve will come at some point.

DJR have typically gone well at the AGP and Perth, so I think they'll settle in to their natural position by then. It's odd that a homologation team is on the back foot so early, compared to previous results in history.

If Percat doesn't produce results this year I'd say his full-time aspirations are done! No doubt the team is built around Chaz, but I can't see another team grabbing him if he can't produce in what has been a recent Bathurst winning and race winning team. What a backfire so far for WAU, it was my understanding they moved heaven and earth to get Percat there.

Parity seems good so far. What's more interesting is the lack of depth in the Chev teams. If 97 isn't winning, who is? Ford have 3 gun teams (Tickford, WAU and DJR) with Grove nipping at their heels. Chev only 888 and potentially Erebus? No one else looks to be able to pick up the slack, if there's any.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

stevo qld

Quote from: skaifeman on March 14, 2023, 09:42:14 AM
Quote from: Joe5619 on March 12, 2023, 08:54:57 PM
And are we watching the end of Percat's fulltime career?

If Percat doesn't produce results this year I'd say his full-time aspirations are done! No doubt the team is built around Chaz, but I can't see another team grabbing him if he can't produce in what has been a recent Bathurst winning and race winning team. What a backfire so far for WAU, it was my understanding they moved heaven and earth to get Percat there.

Percat signing with WAU was a significant bonus for BJR.  ;D
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

madbugger

Does anyone know when the T8 appeal will be heard? I think they mentioned during the telecast that it had to be done within 3 days.
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.

Kytabu

Quote from: madbugger on March 14, 2023, 11:33:04 AM
Does anyone know when the T8 appeal will be heard? I think they mentioned during the telecast that it had to be done within 3 days.
In the lead-up to the Grand Prix it seems.
https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/03/14/triple-eight-appeal-set-to-be-heard-in-lead-up-to-agp/
"I just plucked her in first, gave it some jandal, f**k yeah!"