News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

F1 2022 season

Started by stevo qld, September 03, 2021, 08:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skaifeman

I've got to say these 4am sessions are wearing me down. Welcoming our home soil timeslot in a fortnight.

Well done Sergio! Maybe with the new cars it's closed the gap between drivers at Red Bull.
Certainly looking like a Ferrari v Red Bull season, Merc fighting for 3rd.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

V8SuperRiley

I'm loving how close the racing has been so far. They definitely look like they can follow closer.

Sonic

and loving that 'the goat' ain't a goat unless he has the best car....  highlights exactly what I have said in the past... without the right car he's just another backmarker.

(ok that's prob a bit harsh calling him a backmarker but he is nowhere near the front because he doesn't have equal machinery... which is where all the other drivers have been over the past 10 years)
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

Kytabu

Another excellent race. A shame for Ricciardo as he could have gotten some decent points out of that race.

The battle between the Alpines was great!
"I just plucked her in first, gave it some jandal, f**k yeah!"

V8SuperRiley

Quote from: Sonic on March 28, 2022, 06:03:44 PM
and loving that 'the goat' ain't a goat unless he has the best car....  highlights exactly what I have said in the past... without the right car he's just another backmarker.

(ok that's prob a bit harsh calling him a backmarker but he is nowhere near the front because he doesn't have equal machinery... which is where all the other drivers have been over the past 10 years)

Pretty much all you've said there, is that Lewis is not winning purely because he doesn't have an equal car. And if he had an equal car, he would be winning.. Which I agree with, he would be winning in an equal car.

Sonic

Quote from: V8SuperRiley on April 05, 2022, 08:10:34 AM
Quote from: Sonic on March 28, 2022, 06:03:44 PM

Pretty much all you've said there, is that Lewis is not winning purely because he doesn't have an equal car. And if he had an equal car, he would be winning.. Which I agree with, he would be winning in an equal car.

no, not what I said at all LOL

I said that in the past he has won because he had a car that was superior to the rest on the grid.

If you look at his past (outside of F1) and compare him to who he was racing against it seems that he was regularly beaten but those guys got 'lesser machines' in the top level so even though LH wasn't the best driver he got the results.

It's an argument, an opinion. We all have them. We are all right and wrong at some point along the way.

And no, I do not believe that LH would be winning today if he was in an equal car, only if he was in a superior car.

Alan59

Without a doubt the Mercedes of the hybrid turbo era -2014 to 2021- was the GOAT of F1 cars.There has never been such a sustained era of dominance.
While Lewis has driven superbly with that car his claim to be the GOAT is undermined by some things before that era.Like in the 3 years he was paired with Jenson Button he was outscored in total by his team mate.
How he goes this year in a car that is clearly not the fastest will be very interesting.

stp01

Before the hybrid turbo era he was only beaten by his teammate once in 7 seasons. And that included two world champions. I reckon he'd be pretty happy with that.
Triple Eight and Holden
2022 Supercars Drivers Champion
2022 Supercars Teams Champion
2022 Supercars Manufacturers Champion
2022 Super2 Drivers Champion

Alan59

Quote from: stp01 on April 05, 2022, 08:14:57 PM
Before the hybrid turbo era he was only beaten by his teammate once in 7 seasons. And that included two world champions. I reckon he'd be pretty happy with that.
I agree he is in the conversation with Schumacher,Senna,Prost,Clark,Stewart and Fangio as a contender for the GOAT.
It's just that his stats are inflated by driving the dominant car 7 years in a row-2014 to 2020 in an era when there was a lot of races.

Sonic

indeed. he beat one other person with (?) the same machinery (?) who was paid to come 2nd to him... would be so demoralizing to any race driver to say "any time we tell you you must lose position"... and I'm not talking like in the last race or two when it will help the team out, but the entirety of your career there.

so apart from his teammate, what car had the potential to consistently run with the Merc? none really until Max upped the game last year?

so if all you need to do to become the goat is beat one other person I reckon all of us could claim that title!

Kytabu

I think the four DRS zones will make overtaking too easy this weekend. Not having an extra detection point in the middle of each pair of zones means the defending driver won't really get a chance to fight back.
"I just plucked her in first, gave it some jandal, f**k yeah!"

stp01

Quote from: Sonic on April 05, 2022, 09:38:03 PM

indeed. he beat one other person with (?) the same machinery (?) who was paid to come 2nd to him... would be so demoralizing to any race driver to say "any time we tell you you must lose position"... and I'm not talking like in the last race or two when it will help the team out, but the entirety of your career there.

so apart from his teammate, what car had the potential to consistently run with the Merc? none really until Max upped the game last year?

so if all you need to do to become the goat is beat one other person I reckon all of us could claim that title!
You think Alonso or Button were paid to let Hamilton beat them?  :o
Triple Eight and Holden

stp01

Quote from: Kytabu on April 07, 2022, 11:59:36 AM
I think the four DRS zones will make overtaking too easy this weekend. Not having an extra detection point in the middle of each pair of zones means the defending driver won't really get a chance to fight back.
Could be a Red Bull benefit if they have the speed advantage they had in Jeddah. Keen to see what the layout changes bring though.
Triple Eight and Holden

Sonic

glad I'm not at Melb GP paying to see the F1 cars.... 15 minutes in to P3 and only 3 drivers have laps completed and other drivers not even bothering.

skaifeman

Seb choosing to hop on the back of a scooter the second time around ;D.
The fine he got was a bit overkill, it's moments like this that shows F1's character - Seb getting cheered on a scooter, Webber getting a lift back on the sidepod of Alonso's car etc.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977