News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

ALP v LP/NP

Started by Trevor, May 13, 2021, 04:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

Quote from: Alan59 on May 20, 2022, 02:15:53 PM
We now have politicians in the major parties who have been climbing the political ladder since they left education or even sooner.It is all they know and their own job preservation is their highest aim.
Labor seem to have more career politicians than Liberals, which is a real shame - they need to get back to allowing the membership pick their candidate and they need to have held 'real jobs'

There are some great politicians inside the Labor Party, but they need more working people in the fold

Alan59

Quote from: Trevor on May 21, 2022, 05:41:49 AM
Quote from: Alan59 on May 20, 2022, 02:15:53 PM
We now have politicians in the major parties who have been climbing the political ladder since they left education or even sooner.It is all they know and their own job preservation is their highest aim.
Labor seem to have more career politicians than Liberals, which is a real shame - they need to get back to allowing the membership pick their candidate and they need to have held 'real jobs'

There are some great politicians inside the Labor Party, but they need more working people in the fold
Mostly agree except to point out the career path for the Libs are through things like the extreme right wing "think tanks" like the IPA.
Hopefully Coalition gone by the end of the day although I have visions of Morrison As Vampire sucking the blood out of Australia and rising triumphant.

Iggle Piggle

I should have done some research.  Went in there thinking it would be easy enough to find 6 above the line that are harmless enough and not too offensive; ended up being much harder than I thought, and while the pirate bit caught my attention and appealed to my childish ways my lack of research had me knowing nothing about the Science/Pirate/Secular/Planet/Climate/Justice Fusion party.

Alan59

Quote from: Alan59 on May 18, 2022, 07:55:49 PM
Quote from: Trevor on May 18, 2022, 06:27:54 PM
I laugh at these ads bagging Independents, these idiots need to read our Constitution. There is no mention of 'Party's' in there, it just talks about individuals.

They are the ones out of touch with what our founding fathers wanted
The point the Coalition and their media arm of the Murdoch press/tv miss is that the teal independents they are obsessed about are in electorates that are full of highly educated people.They are not likely to be panicked by the hyperbolic nonsense.If anything they might drive more people towards the teals.
My preferred result has always been a Labor minority government with the teals holding the balance of power in the Reps and the Greens doing the same in the Senate.(By the way polls show the Greens sitting on a nationwide 15% first preference vote which is now half that of the 2 major parties and around 3 times as much as the Nationals).This result would lead to more action on climate change and a real Federal ICAC .Too much to hope any politicians will have the balls to do anything about housing affordability.
Well it looks like that is what we might get.
The Libs chasing the redneck vote has come back to bite them big time.Not only is Morrison's populism deservedly toxic but Frydenberg and Dutton being voted out leaves them with no obvious successor in either the extremist right or moderate wing of the party.Once the Federal ICAC goes digging back into the last 10 years there mightn't be many senior Libs left standing.
Might as well go all in and have Barnaby as leader of the opposition.
Who would have thought the Greens could win lower house seats in Queensland?
Biggest pity is this all came 3 years too late.

the undertaker

Australia. The race to the bottom begins!

Trevor

sorry but you typed 'ended' wrong

the undertaker

It's not that big a word to understand, Trevor.

BEGINS

Ospif1

Alan59

Quote from: the undertaker on May 22, 2022, 06:10:32 AM
The race to the bottom began with Abbott.The Liberal Party went all in on the ignorant populist nonsense that the Nationals have trafficked in.They calculated that most of their urban base wouldn't vote Labor but never guessed they would find other people to vote for in such big numbers.
All seats that swung to the Coalition in 2019 had at least 2 of the following 3 demographic features
-older than average population
-bottom third by educational levels
-top quarter in votes against same sex marriage
The hillbilly constituency. Policies that appeal to them appalled their urban base.The clincher in their collapse was climate change.Their denialist beliefs and refusal to take adequate action sealed their demise.
The big issue going forward for them is whether their swing to the right was a flag of convenience or whether that is truly who they are now.Dutton is far more toxic in those big cities than Morrison on a bad day.Having him as leader pretty much guarantees the teals will be re-elected in 3 years time.
The Libs face an existential threat.What they have come to stand for means much of their traditional support doesn't recognise them and won't ever vote for them with their current ethos.

Trevor

Quote from: Alan59 on May 22, 2022, 08:00:05 AM
Quote from: the undertaker on May 22, 2022, 06:10:32 AM
The race to the bottom began with Abbott.The Liberal Party went all in on the ignorant populist nonsense that the Nationals have trafficked in
100% correct

Alan59

Bonus feature was the failure of One Nation and Palmer.Not a sniff of a Senate seat.
Craig Kelly our next PM?Only polled 7% in his seat.Wouldn't get close to being elected to his local council.

AlbertM

Thought I'd be turning cartwheels over a Labor victory. Ho hum... Looking forward to the rush of by-elections next year though.

Finally some humane decency for the Murugappan family.
Ford Faithful

Alan59

Another win on the side was the complete impotency of the Murdoch media in their hysterical attack on the teals.
I posted last week that this might actually lead to an increase in votes for the teals and while it is not possible to say if that actually happened I'm certain it strengthened a lot of peoples resolve to vote for them.
A big up yours to Rupert and his minions.

CP

Quote from: Alan59 on May 22, 2022, 10:10:50 AM
Bonus feature was the failure of One Nation and Palmer.Not a sniff of a Senate seat.
Craig Kelly our next PM?Only polled 7% in his seat.Wouldn't get close to being elected to his local council.

That's hardly surprising.

I think the most surprising thing is that the ousted PM kept his seat. Usually that goes out the door with them.