News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

ALP v LP/NP

Started by Trevor, May 13, 2021, 04:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonic

by-election tomorrow... sadly one of them will 'win'

Libs have nothing to offer and the best Lab can come up with is "you can do better than them"
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

Trevor

Quote from: Sonic on March 31, 2023, 09:07:39 PM

Libs have nothing to offer and the best Lab can come up with is "you can do better than them"
I never understand why people run in an election only to get a few months into their term and resign.  I reckon they should have to cough for the cost of the by-election, that would make them have 2nd thoughts

madbugger

Quote from: Trevor on April 01, 2023, 05:16:43 AM

I never understand why people run in an election only to get a few months into their term and resign.  I reckon they should have to cough for the cost of the by-election, that would make them have 2nd thoughts

Agreed, and most of those who do quit just after an election seem to be those who were on the winning side before the election and on the losing side after.. They don't like the loss of perks and $$$.
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.

Sonic

Quote from: Trevor on April 01, 2023, 05:16:43 AM

Amen to that Trev! Whoever the party is that relates to the resignation should cover the costs.

Only time I would have a change of heart there is if the elected person dies or is incapacitated.

Just went to the voting booth... 5 boxes to choose from... 0 options...

Trevor

well well well, Mr. Dutton, the great white hope for the Right - The Liberals were defeated in the Aston by-election with a 6 percent swing against them - there is a message there Mr. Dutton, your Party is not keeping up with the expectations of the electorates

Labor has won a good swing to it in a Liberal heartland seat, despite the fact that no government in more than 100 years has won a seat off the opposition at a byelection.

"Before the Liberal MP Alan Tudge's resignation setting up the byelection contest in Aston, the opposition leader, Peter Dutton, described the party's vote in Victoria as at a "low-water mark".  Now we know there is further to fall, and the Liberals' brand under Dutton is underwater."

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/liberals-vow-to-rebuild-in-wake-of-aston-by-election/ar-AA19lTFZ?ocid=BingHPCNews

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/wipeout-beckons-for-liberals-after-aston-byelection-and-the-problem-is-not-just-peter-dutton/ar-AA19ly3b?ocid=BingHPCNews

Dutton is doomed

Sonic

damn. as if things couldn't get worse we get another Labor member? (not that it would be any better if the Libs got in)...

even with how pathetic the Vic Lab party has been over the past terms people somehow think we will do well with them?

having said that, the 5 choices we had meant we were always going to get a dodgy result.

stevo qld

As had been said many times: Politicians should be changed reguarly, just like babies nappies, and for the same reason.

At least there was change.

It is time for Dutton to step down as he is a divisive figure.

The current leader of the opposition to Anthony Albanese is apparently Tanya Plibersek.

Nostaligia:

Morrison, for all his faults, was selected by the Libs to keep Dutton from becoming Prime Minister.

Mark Latham, for all his faults, was elected as Labor Party Leader intended to be the then next Prime Minister.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

Zac

Quote from: stevo qld on April 02, 2023, 08:36:56 PM

Morrison, for all his faults, was selected by the Libs to keep Dutton from becoming Prime Minister.

Dutton, for all his faults, was then selected by the Libs to keep Dutton from becoming Prime Minister. So far, so good.

Alan59

Dutton going full Hanson on The Voice is a disgrace.If it is defeated we will wake up the next morning with the world looking at us as though we are the new apartheid South Africa.
It needs to be a constitutional amendment to stop it being removed in the event a right wing populist comes into government and promises it to their racist base.
After his walk out on the apology......Not necessarily saying he is racist but if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck.....

Trevor

Dutton is just the Leader of the Party, they are a spineless bunch

No doubt Dutton is a racist, but his Party won't rein him in

meha

The whole voice argument has descended from what could be a worthwhile debate about what is the best approach into one that is now nothing more than a race argument. I can only see this turning into a ugly and divisive issue with both sides no doubt hurling abuse at the other and turning it into a race argument rather than a genuine discussion on the merits of the voice. 

I think that 99% of the reasonable people in the Country would not generally see an issue with the idea of a voice representing first nations people putting forward the argument on behalf of first nation people on issues that affect or are relevant, frankly it is not overly different from the various lobby groups that exist other than by putting it in the Constitution it will become a requirement to consult. 

My real question, and one that I am still trying to understand is what exactly is the Voice made up of and how are they consulted. If it is just one or two ex politicians who claim to represent everyone then I have an issue with it whereas if it is a genuine consultation and involvement with community then I for one see it as a good thing.

Trevor

Stuart Robert is in more sh!t than a Werribee duck by the look of things

LG

I don't trust that Thomas Mayo to have anything to do with the Voice.

Trevor

Is Gladys going down today?

Trevor

Jeez, the Royal Commission into Robodebt is pretty daming on the previous Government. Even going as far as recommending civil and criminal charges be laid