News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

WAU to race Mustangs

Started by Zac, May 03, 2022, 04:21:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skaifeman

Quote from: stevo qld on May 13, 2022, 01:57:00 PM
A lot of people felt the same when Dick Johnson moved from Holden to Ford.

It is a business and if your sponsor says go Ford, then you go Ford (or vice versa). In this case the sponsor is Ford itself.

I suspect that a lot of Holden fans moved on, some years ago, from Walkinshaws to back winners.

I hope t6hey are competitive in gen 3.

A lot did, however many that remained were the ones that owned HSV's or modified Commodore's, understood the bloodline of the company and how it flowed into factory and then upgrade (and a perceived sense of 'official' performance partner) kits.
These are the supporters that WAU will lose. I doubt those with HSV's in the garage will be heading out to buy the latest Ford WAU hat. Hell, I'm one of them. Like I said, you can't own a HSV/SS and wear a Blue hat to the pub, after ribbing them for years.

As Brocky famously said, you'll lose 50% of fans but gain 50% from the other side, so nothing changes.
I understand the business decision, there's no link with GM anymore, and obviously Ryan and co. don't see a bright future for the Camaro, or at least not good enough to stick around and not get paid by running it!
There's no hard feelings, and I wish them well, I'll always have a soft spot for that team and the helmet in the logo.

And I'd suggest Dick leaving Holden was a slightly different situation, Dick didn't have an affiliation with the factory that produced over 90,000 vehicles - sold mostly to enthusiasts.
I'd say this would be best compared to the Holden and HDT split that led Brock to shift to BMW and eventually the Blue Oval. Or equally, if DJR were to run Camaro's next year.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

Troy01505

HRT lost me the moment Lowndes went to Ford, triple 8 got my support based Soley on Lowndes, it became team based support later onas I watched Jdub develop into the best driver the series has ever seen BUT, in saying that I supported Scotty at GRM and also shell even though he joined the dark side (I have a heap of clothing and scale models). Now I am a driver based fan.

In my opinion was more controversy when Triple 8 left Ford then what I've seen regarding WAU but you hardcore Fordies hold grudges where as we just ditch em and move on.

WAU and the old HRT haven't done 2/5s of **** all for a decade or more until Bathurst last year, even this year they showed they can not improve on a good car at the same rate as their competitors, but neither can Tickford.

I am tipping the new generation to be much the same as now, those making and spending the most will be up top (triple 8 and Ryan Story) and the rest just grabbing the scraps when ever they fluke a good set up.

TheArrow

Quote from: Troy01505 on May 15, 2022, 08:47:45 PM

In my opinion was more controversy when Triple 8 left Ford then what I've seen regarding WAU but you hardcore Fordies hold grudges where as we just ditch em and move on.

Gibson had to hire body guards to protect Lowndes at the first events as a Ford driver because they had received threats from Holden fans that they would kill him.

But Holden fans just ditch and move on...

REM

Quote from: TheArrow on May 15, 2022, 10:47:31 PM

Gibson had to hire body guards to protect Lowndes at the first events as a Ford driver because they had received threats from Holden fans that they would kill him.

I was going to let that slide haha! Rusty got death threats too...

Ditch and move on? Sounds like a GM approach........(Ouch, did I just say that!! ;D)

skaifeman

Quote from: REM on May 16, 2022, 07:49:10 AM

Ditch and move on? Sounds like a GM approach........(Ouch, did I just say that!! ;D)

Kelly's also received death threats moving to Nissan in 2012. Skaife in 2010 as well.
There's always a handful that want to ruin it for everyone.

From what I've seen so far of the WAU swap is disappointment maybe a few angry. Nothing beyond that. Vast majority understand it's a business.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

REM

Quote from: skaifeman on May 16, 2022, 09:15:41 AM

Kelly's also received death threats moving to Nissan in 2012. Skaife in 2010 as well.

From what I've seen so far of the WAU swap is disappointment maybe a few angry. Nothing beyond that. Vast majority understand it's a business.
Agreed and I think with the demise of Holden, it's perhaps easier for some to let go of just now too...

skaifeman

Quote from: REM on May 16, 2022, 11:33:40 AM
Quote from: skaifeman on May 16, 2022, 09:15:41 AM

Agreed and I think with the demise of Holden, it's perhaps easier for some to let go of just now too...

You're probably right. Writing has been on the wall for a while now.

AlbertM

Hot damn! And some say Red Vs Blue is dead. 

Given the recent talking down of WAU by red fans shows they are a little bit miffed.
Ford Faithful

REM

Quote from: AlbertM on May 17, 2022, 01:38:49 AM

Given the recent talking down of WAU by red fans shows they are a little bit miffed.

You mean on here? Zac has talked WAU down for years(and he says he's no longer red anyways), Skaifeman's comments seem reasoned....

Elsewhere- there seems to be 3 main responses, 1) Understandable and we'll follow them anyway, 2) I am going to follow lawn bowls from here 3) they are terrible traitors who would never amount to much......and, of course the silent response......I assume that it still a state of shock......I think the overall response has been quite good and surprising.....but then again, being a die hard red head nowadays is all about SVG ain't it! 

CP

Some of you lot do realise that Tom would've done the Ford deal if he was still around? 😏

Bloopy

Quote from: REM on May 17, 2022, 07:23:45 AM
2) I am going to follow lawn bowls from here

Retiring from driving is no reason to cease the battle! I could see ex-drivers playing red vs blue lawn bowls being an exciting part of future Supercars coverage. ;D

AlbertM

Quote from: AlbertM on May 17, 2022, 01:38:49 AM

You mean on here? Zac has talked WAU down for years(and he says he's no longer red anyways), Skaifeman's comments seem reasoned....

Elsewhere- there seems to be 3 main responses, 1) Understandable and we'll follow them anyway, 2) I am going to follow lawn bowls from here 3) they are terrible traitors who would never amount to much......and, of course the silent response......I assume that it still a state of shock......I think the overall response has been quite good and surprising.....but then again, being a die hard red head nowadays is all about SVG ain't it!

Social media in general.  My observation has seen a mostly subdued reponse. 
Ford Faithful

EgoFG

Red Vs Blue in Australia is as alive as Red Vs Blue in USA
Except Both GM and Ford are blue here (arguably GMC might be red) - Red Vs Blue in USA is politics !

REM

Quote from: Bloopy on May 17, 2022, 01:19:36 PM
2) I am going to follow lawn bowls from here

Retiring from driving is no reason to cease the battle! I could see ex-drivers playing red vs blue lawn bowls being an exciting part of future Supercars coverage. ;D

Haha!! Bowie would sure play a mean blocking game.....

and CP....%100......he was a salesman first and foremost....

DRB05

Quote from: skaifeman on May 03, 2022, 05:30:37 PM
Would they be in the mind to do more Ford conversions ala what they're doing with the Silverado? Maybe even an eye as the Ford homologation team given there's now a Penske sized hole in the market.

With the Ford announcement that they're bringing the F150 here next year and converting them to RHD and selling through dealers, my money is on Walkinshaw to be the partner in this. Nice tie in, get Ford factory support plus a deal to convert F150s