News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Camaro Axed

Started by V8SuperRiley, March 23, 2023, 11:57:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevo qld

This post seems to have become a contest to see who can piss highest up the wall. :(
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

mikeamerica84

Quote from: stevo qld on March 24, 2023, 10:14:06 PM
This post seems to have become a contest to see who can piss highest up the wall. :(
Let us produce more constructive feedback for the remainder of the thread, then.  I'll pose this to the masses:

What would YOU do to steer the Supercars future towards success?

Me?  For the short term, I would make sure there will be enough replacement parts for the current Gen 3 models for at least five more years. 

In the meantime, within three years, decide whether to pursue a revision to Gen 3 or go in a different direction such as TCR, GT3, or electric.  Which way would you go, gents?

My ultimate decision would be to somehow keep this current formula going.  We already have engines being produced for each manufacturer.  It is not like each Chev and Ford team are doing their own.  ICEs for racing can always be produced.  Stick with a Ford v. Chev v. anyone else.  Eventually it will morph into the next version of Trans Am.

When DTM abandoned their former platform and went to a GT3 setup, I know I completely lost interest in it.  One has to admit (or at least I have to) that the current Supercars formula with Gen 3 has kept the passion of the fans quite high.  It is only the life limit of the current model(s) that are throwing a wet blanket over it.
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

AlbertM

It comes down to the marketing. Just about any high horsepower formula can be Australia top tier racing category.  Fans followed it through from production, Group C to Group A to Supercars. The later being around for the last 30 years.

The Bathurst 12 hour is gaining popularity. The teams, drivers and the massive marketing similar to current efforts would see it embraced by Aussie fans as the national championship.

It will also depend on the manufacturers. Do they want to play in our little pond. Will they  still see value in V8's when the auto world is moving away from archaic ICE.   
Ford Faithful

fordman

They will have to make a call to go to EV at some point, but not until 2035 I think, As manufacturers may dictate with their direction SC may have to follow? what if Mustang goes EV???? how to get there and when to start planning for it will be the question. will Gov interference occur as % of EV gets higher Gov may look at forcing car racing to head EV way???? at some point??
In the meantime, work on what to do with NO camaro in 3 years.

stevo qld

The three years isn't locked in. They can change it at any time, just like the Gen 3 introduction.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

Sonic

Quote from: fordman on March 25, 2023, 03:49:17 PM
They will have to make a call to go to EV at some point, but not until 2035 I think, As manufacturers may dictate with their direction SC may have to follow? what if Mustang goes EV???? how to get there and when to start planning for it will be the question. will Gov interference occur as % of EV gets higher Gov may look at forcing car racing to head EV way???? at some point??

one point of interest for me with the EV argument is... what are they going to do when it comes to the endurance events? or even when they have multiple races on one day?

I saw a Porsche demonstration run at Sandown where it ran maybe 10 odd minutes? at full noise alongside petrol versions which was cool... BUT there was a MONSTER diesel generator out the back to recharge it between each running. how many generators would we need to recharge 25 (or however many are running come that day) in sufficient time to run 2 events? even if that is quali and one race??

I did see a video clip of an enduro event where they had a sidepod battery pack that they changed in 2 minutes (**see attached video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29LGfllk5Qo ) ... is this the future here?
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

fordman

Quote from: Sonic on March 25, 2023, 06:27:00 PM
Quote from: fordman on March 25, 2023, 03:49:17 PM

one point of interest for me with the EV argument is... what are they going to do when it comes to the endurance events? or even when they have multiple races on one day?

I saw a Porsche demonstration run at Sandown where it ran maybe 10 odd minutes? at full noise alongside petrol versions which was cool... BUT there was a MONSTER diesel generator out the back to recharge it between each running. how many generators would we need to recharge 25 (or however many are running come that day) in sufficient time to run 2 events? even if that is quali and one race??

I did see a video clip of an enduro event where they had a sidepod battery pack that they changed in 2 minutes (**see attached video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29LGfllk5Qo ) ... is this the future here?

Only way an enduro would go is of they can swop out battery packs I would think unless they found a battery than ca be fully charged inside 60sec???? in the early days of Formula E they literally swoped entire cars driver jumped out then jumped in 2nd car!!!!!, that wont work here eh? would mean multiple battery packs for bathurst!!! would have to have  battery pack capable of at least 45min full pace racing at least. This will need long range planning but technology in 10 years time may make todays EV or battery look like Model T stuff outdated.?

Thats why I am holding off buying an EV as in 10 years time they will be far suerior than todays versions.

Cobra

Cadillac CT5-V BLACKWING will replace the Camaro.

AlbertM

Quote from: Cobra on March 25, 2023, 08:53:43 PM

Run ZB into a wall to flatten the front a bit more and they'll have it.
Ford Faithful

Trevor

not a 2 door sports car

Bloopy

Doesn't need to be:

QuoteWhile two-door muscle cars will exclusively take to the grid when Gen3 begins, the steel floorplan and tubular chassis has been engineered in a way to suit both smaller sports cars, and larger four-door sedans should new manufacturers be brave enough to enter the fray.
https://www.whichcar.com.au/features/here-s-all-the-technical-details-on-the-gen3-supercars-ford-mustang-and-chevrolet-camaro

Trevor

I kinda trust a media release from Supercars themselves rather than 'whichcar'

skaifeman

To be frank, Supercars will let whatever body shell in if a team/manufacturer wants to homologate it.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

Bloopy

Quote from: Trevor on March 27, 2023, 02:03:17 PM
I kinda trust a media release from Supercars themselves rather than 'whichcar'

If you insist. They made some of their intentions with the chassis fairly clear here:

https://www.supercars.com/news/championship/next-gen-chassis-grunt-work-underway/
Quote... most opportunity for a different number of marques
Quote... seeing what changes would need to be made to accommodate the maximum number of vehicles

Joe5619

Quote from: Trevor on March 27, 2023, 10:20:58 AM
not a 2 door sports car
And? Gen3 is not only for 2 door sport cars