News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Silly Season 2022

Started by murph_fan51, June 12, 2021, 08:22:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonic

And now talk of scuttling Winton for Newcastle... dunno what they're on but they're not sharing...

https://www.speedcafe.com/2022/02/02/new-newcastle-500-date-firming-for-supercars/
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

stevo qld

My preference, at every level, excepting Bathurst, is for a permanent circuit over a temporary community disruptive street circuit.

Bathurst is an exception because it has become an iconic race track, but with street use between events.

I particularly dislike State Governments pouring money into temporary circuits that provide no residual benefit to motorsport.

I applaud the SA Government decision to scrap the Adelaide Street circuit and encourage the Qld Government to do the same with Surfers.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

skaifeman

Quote from: stevo qld on February 03, 2022, 10:05:42 PM
My preference, at every level, excepting Bathurst, is for a permanent circuit over a temporary community disruptive street circuit.

Bathurst is an exception because it has become an iconic race track, but with street use between events.

I particularly dislike State Governments pouring money into temporary circuits that provide no residual benefit to motorsport.

I applaud the SA Government decision to scrap the Adelaide Street circuit and encourage the Qld Government to do the same with Surfers.

I generally agree, however street tracks hold some merit when the city supports them. Townsville, GC and Adelaide until recently.
The parklands section in Adelaide is Heritage listed, so it has some sort of value to the community.

There's still got to be a sense of 'event' at some points throughout the calendar, no different to when a music festival or cultural event takes place in a city centre. The temporary changing of the fabric of the city is what makes it good - from a community aspect.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

Brazen

Do commentary changes count as silly season?

Very glad Charli is gone... found her very "Mum trying to be cool with her son's friends"

Just trying a bit too hard

stevo qld

Once again the number "1" wil not be used by the carry over champion

It is probably just me, but. I consider this is disrespect of the championship.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

skaifeman

Pye set to have a new main sponsor:
https://au.motorsport.com/v8supercars/news/dewalt-team-18-split-pye/8364149/?nrt=18

I don't really mind that the #1 isn't used - must be a NZ thing. I know what I'd be using.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

Sonic

philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

Bloopy

Quote from: skaifeman on February 21, 2022, 11:10:55 PM
I don't really mind that the #1 isn't used - must be a NZ thing.

I recall last time around Shane said it'd be like wearing a target. Surely that's the point: challenging your fellow drivers to try and catch you. But I guess given he could only manage 4th the following year he was relieved not to have the 1 on his car reminding him he'd gone down a few places compared to the recent past.

I think Scotty just didn't like the idea of #17 not being on the grid. Would've been better to swap it over to Fabs.

madbugger

Quote from: Bloopy on February 22, 2022, 12:42:29 PM
Quote from: skaifeman on February 21, 2022, 11:10:55 PM
I don't really mind that the #1 isn't used - must be a NZ thing.

I think Scotty just didn't like the idea of #17 not being on the grid. Would've been better to swap it over to Fabs.

I'm with you Skaifeman, I don't care either if 1 isn't out there

Bloopy, the no. 17 deserves better than that.

If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.

stevo qld

Fabian has a great gig and a shot at Bathurst.

I know he is well regarded by many here, including me.

But: the commercial reality is that none of the teams were prepared to hire him except the failing and cash strapped Team Sydney, now defunct.

Team owners are the ultimate arbiter of a drivers worth, not fans.

I hope he does better than mid-field in TCR and does well in the Enduros.

For his family's sake, he needs to be looking at a future without a race drivers income.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

skaifeman

So what's the bet that Boost end up on Courtney's car? Seems Appliances Online has dried up?

And you're right Stevo - that's something that Holdsworth had to deal with too, I believe he's a part-time real estate agent now. That was all lined up before his Grove drive, hence part-time now.

REM

WAU to support Grove?!? Now that's curious!!

stevo qld

Quote from: REM on February 24, 2022, 08:40:48 AM
WAU to support Grove?!? Now that's curious!!
i suspect you are mistaken.
QuoteWalkinshaw Racing will provide Grove Racing with support for its engine programme in the 2022 Repco Supercars Championship, Speedcafe.com can confirm.

Walkinshaw Racing currently supplies engines to Walkinshaw Andretti United and Erebus Motorsport as well as to various teams in the category's feeder series.
"Obviously, Walkinshaw Racing has a proud history and an engine department that works for WAU and other Supercar teams and other Super2 teams.

"It's a separate entity from WAU, so it's a separate business, an engine business.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2022/02/24/walkinshaw-to-provide-grove-engine-support/
ALBERT EINSTEIN

TheArrow

I'll be honest I didn't really keep up with the roles the Kellys will have but I thought I read something about the Kellys (or Todd at least) still  had some kind of impact on the engine or engineering side. But I may have misinterpreted that when it was announced.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk