News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Gen 3

Started by LG, May 12, 2021, 08:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevo qld

A commentator, unknown name to me, stated that the cars would be cheaper to run therefore there would be more cars and more drivers.

Wow! he must know something others don't.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

Brazen

They look so fricking good... I'll wait until the final engine and exhaust regs are confirmed to have an opinion on that but man they really do look the part

Roadways6

Quote from: stevo qld on December 03, 2021, 08:57:35 PM
A commentator, unknown name to me, stated that the cars would be cheaper to run therefore there would be more cars and more drivers.

About which bit?

The myth that these new cars are cheaper, or the myth they will expand the number of entries?

stevo qld

Quote from: Roadways6 on December 04, 2021, 01:48:30 AM
Quote from: stevo qld on December 03, 2021, 08:57:35 PM

About which bit?

The myth that these new cars are cheaper, or the myth they will expand the number of entries?

The highlighted bit.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

murph_fan51

How much better does the Mustang look!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
debris debris debris

CP

Are the paddle shifters really that big of an issue?

If the new cars do what they say on the tin and create a great spectacle, then I think people will overlook how the gears are changed.

Besides, there is a great, hidden benefit to moving to panel shifters. It'll ease the transition for overseas drivers to our cars for the enduros.

If that lures the Jordan Taylor's and Brendon Hartleys of the world to our shores for the Bathurst 1000, then isn't that a great thing?

Roadways6

Quote from: CP on December 04, 2021, 01:30:40 PM

If the new cars do what they say on the tin and create a great spectacle, then I think people will overlook how the gears are changed.

Besides, there is a great, hidden benefit to moving to panel shifters. It'll ease the transition for overseas drivers to our cars for the enduros.

If that lures the Jordan Taylor's and Brendon Hartleys of the world to our shores for the Bathurst 1000, then isn't that a great thing?

They shouldn't be, but Supercars themselves allowed it to become an issue.

They could have shut Percat down in January and everyone would have been used to it by now

Troy01505

Quote from: CP on December 04, 2021, 01:30:40 PM

I couldn't care about international drivers coming over, I'd rather see young Aussies fill the seats.

The spectacle would be better with H-patterns as the cars would actually be harder to drive especially in a shoot out but they aren't so no big deal to me.

Paddle shift would actually give them more car control as they'd always have both hand on the wheel in my opinion so if it's the simplest cheapest way then so be it.

AlbertM

In theory, by removing a skill level driving the cars, you should be able to close the gap between drivers. Closer racing, different winners..In theory.
Ford Faithful

stevo qld

If Gen 3 won't be raced until 2023, will Ford be able to update the body to the new Mustang 2022?
ALBERT EINSTEIN

madbugger

Quote from: AlbertM on December 04, 2021, 09:47:45 PM
In theory, by removing a skill level driving the cars, you should be able to close the gap between drivers. Closer racing, different winners..In theory.

Let's take it a step further then and just run it as an online series. Lot less expense for team owners, better for the environment, open to anyone, regardless of financial circumstances, and heaps more different winners.

Of course, there will need to be control everything so that everyone has an identical setup, to take away any chance that it is the equipment that is the winning factor. Can't have someone with a lighter seat winning now, can we?
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.

REM

Quote from: stevo qld on December 05, 2021, 12:53:18 AM
If Gen 3 won't be raced until 2023, will Ford be able to update the body to the new Mustang 2022?

I was wondering this exact point!

Ospif1

I imagine they will, however it will trigger aero parity testing again which is costly and time consuming.  I would be surprised if they ran the update in 23 for that reason.

skaifeman

Quote from: Ospif1 on December 05, 2021, 10:46:57 AM
I imagine they will, however it will trigger aero parity testing again which is costly and time consuming.  I would be surprised if they ran the update in 23 for that reason.

Then they need to plan for it now.
Both Supercars and Ford would have rocks in their head to start with a car already superseded - especially when the other on the grid already is!
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

Ospif1

Quote from: skaifeman on December 05, 2021, 10:53:01 AM
Quote from: Ospif1 on December 05, 2021, 10:46:57 AM

Then they need to plan for it now.
Both Supercars and Ford would have rocks in their head to start with a car already superseded - especially when the other on the grid already is!
The issue will be when the facelift is finalised and when the moulds can be completed.