News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Gen 3

Started by LG, May 12, 2021, 08:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevo qld

There should be new Supercar owners before 2022, so many of the current Gen 3 criticisms will hopefully cease to be relevant.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

WarrenK

If they don't hurray up and get the Gen3 on the track GM supports will be supporting a vehicle that is memory sooner than they thought.

From motor1.com
Meanwhile, news from the Mustang's long-time rival is even worse. The Chevrolet Camaro logged just 2,792 sales for the same period, representing a deathly 58.2-percent drop compared to last year. To make that live for you, Ford nearly sold as many Mustangs in June alone as Chevy sold Camaros through the entire spring season. Yes, there are rumors that GM will keep the Camaro around until 2026, but sales numbers dwindle with every report that comes out and you know GM executives are aware of it.

djr18fan

Quote from: stevo qld on July 03, 2021, 06:02:05 PM
There should be new Supercar owners before 2022, so many of the current Gen 3 criticisms will hopefully cease to be relevant.

"Fans" will invent new criticisms.

Zac

Quote from: WarrenK on July 05, 2021, 04:31:17 PM

Meanwhile, news from the Mustang's long-time rival is even worse. The Chevrolet Camaro logged just 2,792 sales for the same period, representing a deathly 58.2-percent drop compared to last year. To make that live for you, Ford nearly sold as many Mustangs in June alone as Chevy sold Camaros through the entire spring season. Yes, there are rumors that GM will keep the Camaro around until 2026, but sales numbers dwindle with every report that comes out and you know GM executives are aware of it.
They're aware of it, and they know where those sales went to. Not many went to the Mustang, but to a car in a higher price class - the Corvette C8. Because of supply problems, GM can't sell as many Corvettes as buyers want, but it is the sales leader in its class, selling more units than all its competitors combined. Not that the Corvette has anything to do with Gen 3, but this helps explain the Camaro's sad sales figures.

jd

That might explain why but it doesn't change the fact that the Camaro is basically a dead duck with those sales figures and it will be shot well before 2026.

Troy01505

Quote from: Zac on July 08, 2021, 09:01:47 PM
You're right, but what do sales figures have to do with a silhouette class of parity racing anyway? It didn't help Holden or Falcon sales, nor Altima or Volvo sales either. I wouldn't know if Nissan or Volvo still sell any Altimas or S60s, but if they do, Supercars didn't help. Supercars embarrassed the Mercedes name, and on it goes. Just go for teams and drivers and forget the brand the car is pretending to be.

Yeah, almost this! I just pick a driver now and will follow them wherever they go

djr18fan

Quote from: Zac on July 08, 2021, 09:01:47 PM
You're right, but what do sales figures have to do with a silhouette class of parity racing anyway? It didn't help Holden or Falcon sales, nor Altima or Volvo sales either. I wouldn't know if Nissan or Volvo still sell any Altimas or S60s, but if they do, Supercars didn't help. Supercars embarrassed the Mercedes name, and on it goes. Just go for teams and drivers and forget the brand the car is pretending to be.

Last I heard, supercars requires a manufactures blessing to run a silhouette of their car. If Camaro ceased to exist, it's likely that shape won't be in the category.

Troy01505

https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/07/20/supercars-holds-talks-with-european-manufacturer/

That time of the year again where Supercars spin their "new manufacturer" bull****

stevo qld

I hope that with Gen 3, Supercars get rid of a few bull**** regulations that have no practical purpose.

e.g. In a race that has only ONE tyre compound, cars are expected to have the alternative compound light in the windscreen lit.

One driver, Percat I think, was warned about his delay in turning the light on. BJR leave it off in the pits to preserve battery power. Maybe BJR are wrong in their approach. I simply do not know.

But, I do know that requiring the light on is simply not needed and does nothing to aid the viewing perceptions or further inform other drivers or teams.

There are quite a few other requirements that serve no useful purpose.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

skaifeman

Quote from: stevo qld on July 21, 2021, 07:59:14 PM
I hope that with Gen 3, Supercars get rid of a few bull**** regulations that have no practical purpose.

e.g. In a race that has only ONE tyre compound, cars are expected to have the alternative compound light in the windscreen lit.

One driver, Percat I think, was warned about his delay in turning the light on. BJR leave it off in the pits to preserve battery power. Maybe BJR are wrong in their approach. I simply do not know.

But, I do know that requiring the light on is simply not needed and does nothing to aid the viewing perceptions or further inform other drivers or teams.

That light may be useless to TV viewers, but trackside it lets people know what tyre compound they're on and whether the main or co-driver is in the car. Both pretty useful things when you're trackside and trying to piece together someone's strategy.
Once cars evenly space out you hear jack squat of the trackside commentary.

Trackside at the 2014 Bathurst, we didn't even know Whincup had fuel dramas until about 5 laps to go, meanwhile on TV they were going on about it for pretty well the whole final stint.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

stevo qld

Quote from: skaifeman on July 22, 2021, 09:08:10 AM

That light may be useless to TV viewers, but trackside it lets people know what tyre compound they're on and whether the main or co-driver is in the car. Both pretty useful things when you're trackside and trying to piece together someone's strategy.

Trackside at the 2014 Bathurst, we didn't even know Whincup had fuel dramas until about 5 laps to go, meanwhile on TV they were going on about it for pretty well the whole final stint.

When, as I suggested, there is only ONE tyre type used for the whole race, may I further suggest that any rival team that needs a light to show the tyre compound being used would have a very real problem in their technical departments. A similar scenario applies when there are no co-drivers.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

skaifeman

Quote from: stevo qld on July 22, 2021, 10:48:42 AM
Quote from: skaifeman on July 22, 2021, 09:08:10 AM

When, as I suggested, there is only ONE tyre type used for the whole race, may I further suggest that any rival team that needs a light to show the tyre compound being used would have a very real problem in their technical departments. A similar scenario applies when there are no co-drivers.

So rounds without mixed tyre compounds or enduros have no light, and vice versa with a light?
End result = teams still paying for a light... why's it matter? It has nothing to do with tipping off rival teams, all to do with letting trackside viewers and potentially race control know who/whats on the car.

A light is not Supercars Gen3's problem that needs solving.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

stevo qld

It is reported that TRE may be testing their engine,

The interesting thing is that they are using an Asian TA2 Mercedes.

Could this be a pointer to an Australian team using a Mercedes body shape and a TRE engine?

there are a few teams yet to commit to GM or Ford.

https://autoaction.com.au/2021/07/27/possible-gen3-engine-test-mule-spotted-on-track

Later additional info:

QuoteA Mercedes-AMG C63 bodied TA2 race car was fitted with the prototype 5.7-litre V8 with KRE Race Engines personnel and Supercars engine consultant Craig Haysted in attendance.

It's understood Prince Jefri Ibrahim cut the lion's share of laps in the space-frame chassis with the prototype engine.

Triple Eight Race Engineering's drivers Jamie Whincup and Shane van Gisbergen also completed a handful of laps.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/07/28/triple-eight-tests-gen3-engine-prototype-in-ta2/
https://tav8racing.com/replica-mercedes-amg-c63-for-sale/

Maybe the Prince is just getting a new car prepared for over there. Could 888 be running the TA2 Mercedes for him over there (with correct engine.).
ALBERT EINSTEIN

jd

Quote from: jd on July 08, 2021, 03:47:30 PM
That might explain why but it doesn't change the fact that the Camaro is basically a dead duck with those sales figures and it will be shot well before 2026.
Well that didn't take long :D

Supercars yet to be on the track Camaro will be shot in 2024 so it will have 3 years racing as a current production.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/968820/chevrolet-camaro-production-to-end-in-2024-electric-performance-sedan-to-replace-it-in-2025-report/?utm_source=Nine-Rail&utm_medium=Referral

Ospif1

Hearing a few rumours now that the new chassis is becoming a debacle.  A lot more steel in it for safety but it's 100 odd kg heavier as a result but has less torsional stiffness than the current gen.  If that's the case it will certainly make them more of a handful to drive which will be good for spectators at least.